E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Switching call from phone to car

03-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
ss42
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Switching call from phone to car

I've now enjoyed a few months of flawless interoperation between my V3C Razr and my non-navi 2006 E90 330xi. Everything "just works" as expected; but I have one gripe:

I often want to call a number in the V3C's contact list, Let's say "Brian Briggs - home", that I can't remember and I haven't stored in my voice phonebook in the car's memory. So the drill I have been following is:

* Grope to dig phone out of my pocket
* Locate Brian Briggs-home in my contact list
* View the number and commit to memory
* Use the car's voice dial to dial the number
* Close the phone, place it back in my pocket
* Have the converstion

There has to be an easier way. I do notice that after I say "dial", the radio display would indicate "Brian Briggs"; so there is some association going on.

But what I'm looking for is way of not having to speak aloud the digits I have to read off the phone's contact list!

Initiating the call from the phone and then somehow switching it to the car would be swell. Can you do that?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't know about the RAZR, but with my Treo650, the cell phone numbers that have been assigned speed dial characters automatically get transferred into the car's address book. Those are easy to dial by simply selecting them manually from the car's menu or by vocalizing the names--for instance, "dial Bob."

For the names that are not in my car's address book, I simply dial them from my cell phone, and the car automatically takes over the call.
      03-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
ss42
Rep

I'm pretty sure that the non-navi E90s get a "kiddies version" of the voice recognition. I can dial number and I can save a spoken name to the car's voice phonebook. But I don't think I can just say an un-trained name to the car and have it find and dial it; at least with my V3C Razr non-navi E90 combinaton. If anyone wants to show me wrong, that would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't believe you can easily dial a number that is not in your car's address book from your car. You'll either have to manually dial it from the car, or dial it from your cell phone. I one time was talking to a friend away from my car (using my cell phone). My car's auxillary power was on. So when I walked into my car, the call automatically got transferred to my car and I ended up finishing the conversation from within the car's phone system.
      03-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
ss42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
I don't believe you can easily dial a number that is not in your car's address book from your car. You'll either have to manually dial it from the car, or dial it from your cell phone...
Yes ksfm, I think you are correct. So what I'm fishing for, is if there is an easy way to dial the call from my phone then "transfer" it to the car. This would at least remove the step of manually reading the number from the phone and then voice or key entering it to the car.

I found a few posts about a "switch call" feature. But found no such soft-function in my Razr V3c menu. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss42
Yes ksfm, I think you are correct. So what I'm fishing for, is if there is an easy way to dial the call from my phone then "transfer" it to the car. This would at least remove the step of manually reading the number from the phone and then voice or key entering it to the car.
Hmmm, I have a feeling I might be slightly misunderstanding you or vice versa, but if I dial a number from my cell phone, say my voicemail or other party, it automatically transfers to the car in the same manner incoming calls get automatically transferred to my car. Maybe our bluetooths function differently.
      03-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
ss42
Rep

Doh!

You are correct: I never expected that to be the default behavior. So I never tried it. I just went to the garage, went to radio-ready, called my home from the phone: connecting.... "Home" displayed on the radio.

I guess it really does "just work"!

Thank you so much for the help; sorry for the chatter.

(Of course, the converse question stands: How to transfer a call on the car back to a private call on the phone - but I don't see that as valuable).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss42
Doh!

You are correct: I never expected that to be the default behavior. So I never tried it. I just went to the garage, went to radio-ready, called my home from the phone: connecting.... "Home" displayed on the radio.

I guess it really does "just work"!

Thank you so much for the help; sorry for the chatter.

(Of course, the converse question stands: How to transfer a call on the car back to a private call on the phone - but I don't see that as valuable).
You're welcome, and no apologies. The converse works the same way. Keep in mind that when you're talking from within your car's system, your cell phone is still on and operating at the same time. As soon as you either walk away from your car or turn it (your car) off completely, the call will still be on your cell phone.
      03-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lol..i got so confused trying to figure out what you two were saying....i was doing the whole "you just have to do....wati thats not what he wnats"...thing..lol...
      04-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Don't know if this will help since I have the navigation system in my 2006 330i but here goes.

My cell phone is a Nokia 6230i. When my radio comes on, my cell phone and car 'talk' to each other. The cell phone sends the car all of the entries in the phone's memory. When I display my communications menu, I get all names and numbers automatically. I don't have to program it into the car's memory.

I don't think you can get a name and number to transfer from the car back to the cell phone.

ksfrogman's comment about the call still being on the phone is my understanding as well. Simply take the cell phone with you and keep talking. My understanding is that it works the same way if you start the call outside the car and want to continue it inside.
Appreciate 0