E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Upper rear control arm not aligning

09-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
Kremis
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Upper rear control arm not aligning

A few weeks ago I sheared the bolt on my upper rear control arm. I was able to drill it out of the carrier and buy a replacement, however I soon realized that the arm is no longer lining up with the carrier.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Replaced both upper control arms

Replaced trailing arm (steel plated one)

Replaced lower control arm (the long one)

Disconnected the sway bar to see if that would help with getting it in there

Jack the suspension at different levels to see if that would help the bolt align

I didn't even hit anything. Was driving on the highway and heard a clunk, pulled over and saw the bolt was sheared. I have replaced basically every arm. Everything looks fine to me, and I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. I might take the car into a shop to try and repair it, but am super worried. Is it possible there is subframe damage somehow? Again I didnt even hit anything recently, not even a pothole. not sure where it could have came from.

picture of the issue (old arm)

View post on imgur.com

Anyone have any advice at all? I dont really have the budget for a shop to just willy nilly try things until something works. Nothing looks bent on the subframe at all. Could it be a problem with the axle/differential?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:12 PM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Have you tried a pry bar? Looks like you need to pull the bottom out and top in Yh?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
Kremis
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Have you tried a pry bar? Looks like you need to pull the bottom out and top in Yh?

Yeah thats what I determined as well. I dont have a pry bar but was able to get maybe like 1-2 mm off from where it needs to connect just by pushing it. Im gonna take it to a shop this week and see if they can get it done for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
psubmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Disconnect the sway bar. Then you can more easily align the bolt. Also, be very, very careful when threading the bolt in. They cross thread easily.
Appreciate 0