E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Dinan Stage 2 vs. Cobb for BMW 335is

02-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
pidge1114
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is

Dinan Stage 2 vs. Cobb for BMW 335is

First off, I'm NOT doing a JB4 or MHD.

I have a 335is and I do not intend to do major modifications to it. I do not plan on adding bolt ons, as the reason I went with the IS over the regular I is the minor upgrades it already comes with.

That being said, I am interested in possibly adding a little more oomph to it, mainly from torque gains. I currently have a Cobb unit that I haven't installed yet, as I just read that Dinan is having a 50% off sale for February...and the clock is ticking.

Yeah I know, Dinan is, well, Dinan. Conservative tune but keeps my warranty intact which I like. Probably would do Stage 2 since the IS has the upgrades already to allow it.

The bottom line question is...are EITHER of these flashes worth it for the IS which already has a slight bump in HP over the regular I? When i read about gains for both, they are usually based on a 335i, and not sure if the gains are equal on a 335is or less.

Again, I do not, and will not consider JB4 or MHD. I am looking for people who have input on a 335is for either Cobb or Dinan.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
mrjcover
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post

I have a 335is and I do not intend to do major modifications to it. I do not plan on adding bolt ons, as the reason I went with the IS over the regular I is the minor upgrades it already comes with.

That being said, I am interested in possibly adding a little more oomph to it, mainly from torque gains. I currently have a Cobb unit that I haven't installed yet, as I just read that Dinan is having a 50% off sale for February...and the clock is ticking.

Yeah I know, Dinan is, well, Dinan. Conservative tune but keeps my warranty intact which I like. Probably would do Stage 2 since the IS has the upgrades already to allow it.

The bottom line question is...are EITHER of these flashes worth it for the IS which already has a slight bump in HP over the regular I? When i read about gains for both, they are usually based on a 335i, and not sure if the gains are equal on a 335is or less.

Again, I do not, and will not consider JB4 or MHD. I am looking for people who have input on a 335is for either Cobb or Dinan.

Thanks in advance.
With that being said, just do the DINAN... You're not gonna get any real power without mods so no use in getting anything else...

12' E92 335i Mineral White Metallic - Retired
08' E92 328i Monaco Blue Metallic - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

Ok so I'm confused you'll do Cobb but not MHD? makes no sense. Either way if you up the boost you WILL have to replace the charge pipe( Stock one will crack) and the stock intercooler with no hold up under heat and pulls so I FMIC is a "must" mod.

Trust me I'm in your boat , no bolt on's for me either, but changed the CP and will be doing a FMIC next week, just for the fact that I had MHD stg1+, I am now doing a custom tune with Ken from Wedge with MHD and VERY happy and less $$ then Dinan.

You question should be MHD or Dinan. An the answer is MHD.

Only non"must" bolt on I am doing is BMS intake and only cause is was $135 :/
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
pidge1114
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMVQ View Post
Ok so I'm confused you'll do Cobb but not MHD? makes no sense. Either way if you up the boost you WILL have to replace the charge pipe( Stock one will crack) and the stock intercooler with no hold up under heat and pulls so I FMIC is a "must" mod.

Trust me I'm in your boat , no bolt on's for me either, but changed the CP and will be doing a FMIC next week, just for the fact that I had MHD stg1+, I am now doing a custom tune with Ken from Wedge with MHD and VERY happy and less $$ then Dinan.

Yeah I will do Cobb because I already acquired the unit for a steal. For MHD I'll need to get a hold of an Android device to install, plus I have read more problems in regard to the MHD than the Cobb. I know that upsets MHD lovers, but that's what I see..both on these forums and elsewhere.

Dinan is appealing only because it's half price tis the end of the month, and 'theoretically' keeps my warranty in check...though now that I'm thinking about it, I'm referring to my CPO warranty and not the factory warranty. Not sure if that applies to the certified cars.

The biggest gripe I've heard about Dinan was it was the worst bang for the buck. But with their promo right now you can get a Stage 2 flash for under $500:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...ries&mid=1134/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post

Thanks in advance.
335is is the N54 motor bud, not the N55. You want MHD, try posting in the N54 section.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
pidge1114
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn View Post
335is is the N54 motor bud, not the N55. You want MHD, try posting in the N54 section.
oops you're right, sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:

I'm not saying it's so but I could've sworn I read here somewhere that you will lose power with any aftermarket intake vs the stock box???

Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
I'm not saying it's so but I could've sworn I read here somewhere that you will lose power with any aftermarket intake vs the stock box???

There's data all over the place on this, I'll log a pull after and see what the log looks like if you I lose power the MAF readings will be lower and the IT's will raise.

All tho I heard from Ken that just and intake he saw 15whp over the stock airbox.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's data all over the place on this, I'll log a pull after and see what the log looks like if you I lose power the MAF readings will be lower and the IT's will raise.

All tho I heard from Ken that just and intake he saw 15whp over the stock airbox.
Can you please show data on that?
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
Can you please show data on that?
I will, can we keep the op's topic tho
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      02-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will, can we keep the op's topic tho
Sure no prob, thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
Mannix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 N55

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=qmyZYQCizVM
Appreciate 0