E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > URGENT sticking brakes

08-23-2023, 06:59 AM   #1
bimmerisalwaysbroken
Waiting for a tow truck
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

URGENT sticking brakes

Hello I've made a post in general but thought it would fit better here I need to find out how to fix this ASAP as this is my daily

I've gone and done a full rotor and brake pad change, I had a very bad vibration in FR wheel when stopping and the wheel bearing checked out ok.

I've now changed everything and the rear pads are literally scraping on the rotors, I've reused all the slides and didn't grease anything just cleaned with brake cleaner as per previous people on the forum recommended.

I've attached photos of the brake pads you can see they're worn and I'm wondering whether the problem can be because I didn't push the piston all the way in I just pushed it enough to fit new brake pads on.

Also, I'm wondering whether my RL Bearing is failing I've attached a video it is somewhat hard to turn and makes noises when compared to the Right.

View post on imgur.com

Pad Clearance https://streamable.com/70xmen

RL Wheel bearing https://streamable.com/jrofgu
RR Wheel bearing https://streamable.com/bt5ung
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

What's the condition of your brake lines? An old split or swollen rubber line could prevent the piston from releasing. Or it could be a bad piston/seal or contamination inside the caliper. Have you bled brakes and flushed clean fluid out? Safest bet (but not cheapest) is to replace the rubber lines and replace the calipers.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #3
bimmerisalwaysbroken
Waiting for a tow truck
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Update: I did end up fixing it by taking off the calliper and fully pushing it in with one of those brake tools. I will have to get new bearings I think time to add that to the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 10:31 AM   #4
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Some places want to rebuild your brake calipers every time you get your brakes done with new seals . They say when you shove cylinder back in it introduces dirt and other stuff that interferes with the operation.... I personally just shove back in.
I had to replace the bearings on my e90 around 125k miles. I realize they get worn and used but never had to do on any of my other vehicles. Pretty inexpensive
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:21 PM   #5
lobotomy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
What's the condition of your brake lines? An old split or swollen rubber line could prevent the piston from releasing. Or it could be a bad piston/seal or contamination inside the caliper. Have you bled brakes and flushed clean fluid out? Safest bet (but not cheapest) is to replace the rubber lines and replace the calipers.
I agree with Lowrydr. In my case, I religiously flushed fluid every 2 years, never let it get stale, yet I still ended up with a frozen L/Rear caliper! At first I drove piston bore back into piston, as you did, but problem persisted. I bought lines & calipers. I had trouble removing the line on the problem side, so I left it alone & just replaced the calipers. I got lucky, it was a jammed caliper & not a collapsed line!
Appreciate 0