E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Valvetronic & DME HELP

03-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Valvetronic & DME HELP

Hello to all. I've been having some issues with my E90 N55. Seem's like my valvetronic motor has failed and may have fried my DME. Is it possible for the valvetronic to fry the DME?

The car is like glitching out. One minute it'll start and another minute it won't start. Injectors are also glitching causing cylinder 1 to misfire. Started to get a thick white smoke out of my exhaust that smelled like fuel so I figured maybe a leaky injector... then I turned the car off and turned it back on and the misfire went away like nothing happened. No codes showing up for misfire and engine is running but its running rough. Changed all injectors and coded them, but still have the issue.

I have reason to believe that my DME is complete toast and would like some insight from other forum members.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashko View Post
Hello to all. I've been having some issues with my E90 N55. Seem's like my valvetronic motor has failed and may have fried my DME. Is it possible for the valvetronic to fry the DME?

The car is like glitching out. One minute it'll start and another minute it won't start. Injectors are also glitching causing cylinder 1 to misfire. Started to get a thick white smoke out of my exhaust that smelled like fuel so I figured maybe a leaky injector... then I turned the car off and turned it back on and the misfire went away like nothing happened. No codes showing up for misfire and engine is running but its running rough. Changed all injectors and coded them, but still have the issue.

I have reason to believe that my DME is complete toast and would like some insight from other forum members.

Did you replace the valvetronic motor yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:

Did you replace the valvetronic motor yet?
No I have not. That's on order right now. Just curious if anyone has had a DME fried from not replacing the servomotor.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
No I have not. That's on order right now. Just curious if anyone has had a DME fried from not replacing the servomotor
In regard to the misfire, did you move plugs and coils to see if the code follows? Why would you go straight replacing injectors?

In regard to valvetronic, if it's stuck at minimum lift the car may not start sometimes. Other time it might move off min lift a bit and car might be able to run... you need to get it to max lift and then unplug it or you'll keep having no starts...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

My buddy just had his 13 E92 335i in for a valetronic replacement, car would run fine and then once you got into boost it would all shut off and list engine malfunction. he had his exsentic shaft re done as well. expensive repair I would get it checked out right away.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0