E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 sucks ass compared to N54

07-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

N55 sucks ass compared to N54

I remember way back in 2007 when the 335i first came out I went and test drove one. It was a E90 with a manual. I test drove it at the Berkeley dealership and ripped it around corners and short bursts of straights and really only used first 3 gears. The power was intoxicating. It was incredible. I got a hard on and a smile. I remember gear 1 and 2 were so fast.

The next day I went and test drove a Mustang GT that was also rated at 300 HP. Gear 1 and 2 felt so slow. The whole car felt so slow. Felt like driving a boat. From that point on I decided the 335i would be the car I get.

Fast forward back to March when I finally decided to order the 335i, now it comes with twin scroll single turbo. No biggie I thought. I couldn't find a 335i with a manual anywhere on a lot to test drive. So I just went ahead and ordered it. Now that I have my car the car feels more like that Mustang GT than the 335i I test drove back in 2007. it feels sluggish. Is it because I need to get through the first oil change? Haven't had it done yet. My first gear bitches and moans when I take it too high. The balance and agility of the car surpasses my expectations, but I can't help but think back to 2007 of that car I test drove that felt so much more lively in the low end. On the freeway I have no complaints as it blows by just about anything I want it to. But I'm afraid to drag race anyone from a dig as I'll probably lose to a Civic until I hit 3rd gear. Yea, its that bad.

Does it mean I need what you guys call some DME update? What is that? Will it get any better? How can I bring it up to service guys when I go in? Tell them to check why the car feels so slow at low end? I can't believe there's such a huge discrepancy in horsepower between the N54 to N55. How can BMW do this? Fuck BMW right up the ass?

As for a tune, I'm undecided on that for now. I thought the car would not even need one, but now I may need one in the future after the kinks get worked out for the forthcoming JB4. I would hate to have to take it off everytime going in for service though. How much would a turbo upgrade cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

So what did you drive between 2007 and 2011?
      07-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

early stock 2007 N54 was stronger -
then later it changed.
not that dramatic.

also, u can try to reset ur bimmer and have it re-adapt.
drive it hard.

suspension on the N55 Msport - IMHO not so great.
I would upgrade to M3 suspension parts for the 335.

plus ur talk'n bout price of upgraded turbos and ur
concern bout service'n?
If u want performance start look'n
at catless DP + tune first. then move up to fmic and meth.
and eventually a big single turbo may arise.

the n55 is a different beast than the n54.
it's the 1st year for this engine - and it's making good progress.
if u're that unsatisfied with ur 2011 bimmer - maybe
u should sale it or trade it for a CPO N54.
      07-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

I enjoy my N55, but don't enjoy the lack of aftermarket support for the X (it's all 1 off projects, like the wonderful exhaust matt did, and the wonderful custom FMIC project I will be having him undertake soon)... Ahh the responsibilities of being a family man.... OP if you wanted the performance of the N54, you should have gotten the 335is not a 335i

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

I thoroughly enjoy my n55 now that everything is dialed in! The injen intake, Procede v5 on latest beta maps, and the catless vishnu dp is an amazing combination. They say the intake doesn't do much with the tune, but they forget that it does do something when you are on the stock map 0 to fool the maf sensor a bit for a nice gain. My car is a freak on map0
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldasicex5 View Post
Why am I the only one who appears to be enjoying their stock N55 better than their N54 stock? I think I'm going to have to dyno it to see if i was lucky to get a factory freak
Ummm well Jerda first off, your foot doesnt reach the floor board so you never felt all the power to begin with.

Secondly, it hasnt left you stranded on the side of the road yet like you N54 did every other week.

*Waiting on N52 comments from Jerry*
      07-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

haha - my N55 has been trouble free compared to an N54 so far - really the only thing I envy is the internals of the N54... other than that .... nothing
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

I'm going in for an HPFP and LPFP replacement on friday... Either that or a 'Software' flash to 'fix' the issue. (yes I've been long cranking)

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
I remember way back in 2007 when the 335i first came out I went and test drove one. It was a E90 with a manual. I test drove it at the Berkeley dealership and ripped it around corners and short bursts of straights and really only used first 3 gears. The power was intoxicating. It was incredible. I got a hard on and a smile. I remember gear 1 and 2 were so fast.

The next day I went and test drove a Mustang GT that was also rated at 300 HP. Gear 1 and 2 felt so slow. The whole car felt so slow. Felt like driving a boat. From that point on I decided the 335i would be the car I get.

Fast forward back to March when I finally decided to order the 335i, now it comes with twin scroll single turbo. No biggie I thought. I couldn't find a 335i with a manual anywhere on a lot to test drive. So I just went ahead and ordered it. Now that I have my car the car feels more like that Mustang GT than the 335i I test drove back in 2007. it feels sluggish. Is it because I need to get through the first oil change? Haven't had it done yet. My first gear bitches and moans when I take it too high. The balance and agility of the car surpasses my expectations, but I can't help but think back to 2007 of that car I test drove that felt so much more lively in the low end. On the freeway I have no complaints as it blows by just about anything I want it to. But I'm afraid to drag race anyone from a dig as I'll probably lose to a Civic until I hit 3rd gear. Yea, its that bad.

Does it mean I need what you guys call some DME update? What is that? Will it get any better? How can I bring it up to service guys when I go in? Tell them to check why the car feels so slow at low end? I can't believe there's such a huge discrepancy in horsepower between the N54 to N55. How can BMW do this? Fuck BMW right up the ass?

As for a tune, I'm undecided on that for now. I thought the car would not even need one, but now I may need one in the future after the kinks get worked out for the forthcoming JB4. I would hate to have to take it off everytime going in for service though. How much would a turbo upgrade cost?
I agree with you completely, I ordered a new 335 coupe after I totalled my 2007 335 sedan. The dealer pathetically only had 2 e93 335s when I went for a test drive, I was not impressed but i thought it was because the verts were slush boxes and the verts weigh a bit more. So, I went ahead and ordered my new coupe.

I just wanted a new 335 coupe real bad, custom ordered with everything I wanted that my 07 never had. I was bit a traumatized from the car accident and slightly heart broken over losing my 07 335 which I owned since it was new. My n54 was a monster in 2nd gear especially and had more torque in every gear compared to my 2011. My new car is much better to look at and has all the goodies i like, except for the engine, which leaves me quite disappointed.

I thought new software might help, I have an 11/10 build and my software is not the latest, but I can't get the updated DME, I tried 2 weeks ago, my dealer said that they could not because BMW requires fault codes to justify updating my DME. Hopefully I can eventually find a way to get updated.

Anyway, I am trying to "just deal" with my disappointment, I am bitter about BMW making these changes to the 335 engine and I could not afford the 335is. I paid more for a 2011 that performs less well than my old 2007, which cost thousands less when I bought it new. Frustrating!!

About 6 weeks after my new coupe arrived, found out my wife is pregnant with our first child, so I am trying to overlook my frustration with the n55 and focus on the upcoming birth of my little boy. I guess a sedan would have been more appropriate for hauling a baby around, but we will make due with the coupe for now.

2011 E92 335i LCI 6MT, M-sport pkg, Black Sapphire, Nav, Comfort Access, 19" Style 230s, Harmon Kardon, Bluetooth, M3 Lip Spoiler, GPT 7500k Fogs, BMW PERFORMANCE POWER KIT.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
I agree with you completely, I ordered a new 335 coupe after I totalled my 2007 335 sedan. The dealer pathetically only had 2 e93 335s when I went for a test drive, I was not impressed but i thought it was because the verts were slush boxes and the verts weigh a bit more. So, I went ahead and ordered my new coupe.

I just wanted a new 335 coupe real bad, custom ordered with everything I wanted that my 07 never had. I was bit a traumatized from the car accident and slightly heart broken over losing my 07 335 which I owned since it was new. My n54 was a monster in 2nd gear especially and had more torque in every gear compared to my 2011. My new car is much better to look at and has all the goodies i like, except for the engine, which leaves me quite disappointed.

I thought new software might help, I have an 11/10 build and my software is not the latest, but I can't get the updated DME, I tried 2 weeks ago, my dealer said that they could not because BMW requires fault codes to justify updating my DME. Hopefully I can eventually find a way to get updated.

Anyway, I am trying to "just deal" with my disappointment, I am bitter about BMW making these changes to the 335 engine and I could not afford the 335is. I paid more for a 2011 that performs less well than my old 2007, which cost thousands less when I bought it new. Frustrating!!

About 6 weeks after my new coupe arrived, found out my wife is pregnant with our first child, so I am trying to overlook my frustration with the n55 and focus on the upcoming birth of my little boy. I guess a sedan would have been more appropriate for hauling a baby around, but we will make due with the coupe for now.
I think you guys need to get some mods... intake/tune/dp and your good!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Not sure what you n54 guys are talking about especially stock vs stock. I remember the n55 being the fastest in stock setting and beating the n54 to 120 by a full second.

The new dme update on the n55 probably changed that though just like the n54 dme update did when they got increased turbo lag .

The car is not slow by any means I ran a 12.8 at 111 and the procede 335is n54 dct on race gas could not beat my time but did beat my mph by .2 . I was on 93 oct.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
I think you guys need to get some mods... intake/tune/dp and your good!!!!
Eventually I probably will get mods. But I don't want to feel like I had to. If I had the stock power of the early build 07 335's then I wouldn't even feel the need to. I mean, the difference is not just a little bit, its huge! Like a completely different car! Who the hell said the 2011 335's were supposed to have more torque? More torque my ass. More like less torque.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the car. Its fast as hell on the open freeways. It handles and corners better than anything I've ever driven. But the low end power is WEAK! Weak to the point I feel there's something wrong with it. I think I will have a talk with the service manager when I take it in.

I hate how BMW felt they had to limit the power potential of the 335i's. Probably because they didn't want it to get near the territory of the M3. Well they should have thought about that way back in 07! I mean really? Go from 2 turbos down to 1? I'd rather have HPFP issues than less power!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMSTUNING View Post
Not sure what you n54 guys are talking about especially stock vs stock. I remember the n55 being the fastest in stock setting and beating the n54 to 120 by a full second.

The new dme update on the n55 probably changed that though just like the n54 dme update did when they got increased turbo lag .

The car is not slow by any means I ran a 12.8 at 111 and the procede 335is n54 dct on race gas could not beat my time but did beat my mph by .2 . I was on 93 oct.
Well that's because you have the smaller faster 135i!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiE90 View Post
early stock 2007 N54 was stronger -
then later it changed.not that dramatic..
I can second that the early 07s def felt stronger to me..i had numeours later model loaners w less miles and they didnt feel as strong

n54 > n55 IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I have driven both extensively and have owned both so perhaps I can chime in on this a little. I bought a 2011 335i Sedan with the N55 motor when they first came out thinking to myself ;"Oh it's new technology and this is the way BMW is moving to the future plus I'd get better fuel efficiency". This was bad thinking on my part as I'll explain. When the N55 first came out someone said that it is essentially a detuned 360 WHP motor and the N54 is a detuned 400 WHP motor, this in essence became true as even Terry currently can't push more than 370 WHP out of the N55 with Meth (this is somewhat sad). The big heckler of the N55 is the tiny turbo that just can't keep boost up top which is where it counts for performance.

My 2011 335i had the Visnhu Procede when it first came out and while I was very satisfied with it; it just merely was not as good as my friends N54 with just a Procede on it. Stock for stock; the motors seemed very close but the N54 was still a tad bit more responsive in the midrange and the Valvetronic BS that BMW wants to sell you on the N55 about the engine being more responsive is simply not true, at least it had not been from my experience. I bought the vehicle with intentions to mod and make it as fast as possible; after 3-4 months I figured out this would simply not be possible given the WGDC logs of the N55 and the turbos inability to hold boost up top. This is true up until today where no one can properly dyno an N55 and when they do; the numbers just don't show when compared to an N54. (360-370 WHP with bolt ons and meth; this is comparable to 430-440 on an N54).

After selling the 2011, I purchased a used 2007 N54 coupe and I must say that after a few mods; it truly is a better engine. This coupled with the fact that my pistons are forged as I have a late 2006 build, definitely makes me want to stay with the N54.

In the end, I wish you N55 guys the best and I hope that a turbo upgrade comes out real soon for you guys because it is badly needed and from the way I see it, you are maxed out at 360-370 WHP which compared to an N54 just isn't impressive.
      07-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well that's because you have the smaller faster 135i!

Weight difference between the two cars is about 150 pounds or so. Faster im not so sure about that especially with DCT.

Im talking about trap speeds here not the time since I know the dct is a bitch to launch correctly .

If a huge hp car is what your looking for it seems like the n54 is the way to go but for most people who just put bolt ons and a tune the two cars run pretty even.

That being said both engines are great and both have their + and -'s.

I would personally choose the n55 for the sounds it makes alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep

Goddamnit I should have bought a 335is instead. N55 sucks donkey balls.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weight difference between the two cars is about 150 pounds or so. Faster im not so sure about that especially with DCT.

Im talking about trap speeds here not the time since I know the dct is a bitch to launch correctly .

If a huge hp car is what your looking for it seems like the n54 is the way to go but for most people who just put bolt ons and a tune the two cars run pretty even.

That being said both engines are great and both have their + and -'s.

I would personally choose the n55 for the sounds it makes alone.
the only thing we can agree on is that the n55 does sound better than the n54, the n55 is also smoother, but that is it, power advantage goes to the n54.

2011 E92 335i LCI 6MT, M-sport pkg, Black Sapphire, Nav, Comfort Access, 19" Style 230s, Harmon Kardon, Bluetooth, M3 Lip Spoiler, GPT 7500k Fogs, BMW PERFORMANCE POWER KIT.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep

Quote:

No I'm not after a huge HP car. I just want the car to feel quick when taking off and rowing through the gears, and 1st gear is especially disappointing. Compared to an N54, it feels like BMW purposely did something to slow the N55 down. My thinking is they wanted to create a bigger divide between 335i and the M3. And squeeze the 335is in there to make more money. Sons of Nazi Whores!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Goddamnit I should have bought a 335is instead. N55 sucks donkey balls.
make up your mind!

does it suck ass or donkey balls?

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
the only thing we can agree on is that the n55 does sound better than the n54, the n55 is also smoother, but that is it, power advantage goes to the n54.

I mentioned that the high hp numbers would be coming from the n54.

The only thing keeping the n55 in the race is the Tq.

Plus I drive like a total douche around town and avg 19 mpg which makes me happy lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
grandmoff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Congrats! Not sure about the rear-facing seats, but I have two full size Britax forward facing seats in my e92 without a problem. My seat is as far back is I want it and have yet to amputate any little legs.

I agree that I never have felt the N55 had the umpf of the N54s I have driven. But it is still quite a bit of fun with the PROcede and I will soon have my CDV and intercooler done. Might not be a beast like the N54, but I am quite happy with it. If all I cared about was speed, I would be driving a Mustang.

If I can hit the numbers Terry/Shiv are doing with FBO and maybe meth, I will be happy. I don't need to track this thing or prove anything to anyone else. It is fun to drive, and I like the LCI styling a lot more than the older versions.

I think we got lucky that the N54 was such a beast motor, rather than the N55 is a disappointment.
Appreciate 0