E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Switching current accounts

02-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Switching current accounts

Anyone done this?
I'm thinking of doing it as Nationwide are offering £100 to do it, and as we already have our mortgage with them Im hoping it'll be a quick painless process. Although it does worry me that they'll fuck the direct debits up somehow, hence why I've never done it before - been with Lloyds for 30 years!
So what's other people's experiences and realistically how long does it take? By that I mean how long does it take to fill out the necessary forms online? I went in to the branch today to see if I could do it there and then, and was told I could make an appointment, do it over the phone or online.*
Now ideally I'd like to have dealt with a real person and done it in branch, however the lady told me it would take about an hour and a half! A bloody hour and a half to open a bank account when they've already got all my details due to the mortgage! Bollocks to that! I was under the impression I would just need to give them my ID, and my bank details for my current bank, sign a form, job done! If it's gonna take me any longer than 10 mins on the lap top I just can't be arsed as I ain't that desperate for £100
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Anyone done this?
I'm thinking of doing it as Nationwide are offering £100 to do it, and as we already have our mortgage with them Im hoping it'll be a quick painless process. Although it does worry me that they'll fuck the direct debits up somehow, hence why I've never done it before - been with Lloyds for 30 years!
So what's other people's experiences and realistically how long does it take? By that I mean how long does it take to fill out the necessary forms online? I went in to the branch today to see if I could do it there and then, and was told I could make an appointment, do it over the phone or online.*
Now ideally I'd like to have dealt with a real person and done it in branch, however the lady told me it would take about an hour and a half! A bloody hour and a half to open a bank account when they've already got all my details due to the mortgage! Bollocks to that! I was under the impression I would just need to give them my ID, and my bank details for my current bank, sign a form, job done! If it's gonna take me any longer than 10 mins on the lap top I just can't be arsed as I ain't that desperate for £100
I've moved previously but just with an account setup with the minimum requirements to qualify for the deal I wanted. If they screw up the DD's they have to reimburse you for any screw ups/compensate for any related losses etc and since the new switching guarantee I think it's quite painless with few problems these days. Up to you but I'd do it (although other banks have better switching deals to be honest)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
beambeam1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
If it's gonna take me any longer than 10 mins on the lap top I just can't be arsed as I ain't that desperate for £100
If ten minutes of your time on a laptop isn't worth £100 then what the hell do you do for a living?

If you have been with the same bank for so long then I'd maybe chance my arm and see what they say if you bring it up with them first. They might like the opportunity to retain you as a customer somehow... better loan/savings/credit rate than you're already getting?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:11 AM   #4
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beambeam1 View Post
If ten minutes of your time on a laptop isn't worth £100 then what the hell do you do for a living?

If you have been with the same bank for so long then I'd maybe chance my arm and see what they say if you bring it up with them first. They might like the opportunity to retain you as a customer somehow... better loan/savings/credit rate than you're already getting?
I don't do anything special for a living believe me! I work in a factory as a shift engineer and also work as a class 1 lorry driver during my spare time. A free £100 would be nice but I ain't that bothered about it.
I just hate doing stuff like this when there is the potential for so much to go wrong like it did when I switched energy suppliers. No one has actually said how long it takes and what's involved. If it is literally 10 mins on a laptop then great, but if I'm going to be there for ages going through my whole life story then I just can't be bothered, I've got far more interesting things I could be doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Been with the same bank since i was 11 years old.

Would I love to stick it to these big banks by moving to a smaller one. YES

Can i be bothered. NOPE
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

I actually just did a switch for an old account for the RBS £150 deal that ends on Friday, took 7 minutes (although they are going to send me docs to sign/need to confirm ID etc so will take a bit longer overall). Yes it's hassle but there's few things you can do in your spare time with the same time/reward ratio and entering name, address, email etc is hardly any effort (not too much different than having to setup a new account to order something online, is most of the same info...)
Appreciate 0