Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Anyone run R compound for daily driver?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Anyone run R compound for daily driver?

Been doing some research on which tires to get and a lot of cars are running R compounds on what looks like stock cars. Not sure if all of these cars are actually track cars or if they are just running them on daily driver.

Anyone here do it? Do you run them through rain, and cold weather/winter time?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
alfazrus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

You didn't do your homework if you are still asking if you can use them in cold weather and especially in winter, just saying. Even DOT certified ones need proper heat.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfazrus View Post
You didn't do your homework if you are still asking if you can use them in cold weather and especially in winter, just saying. Even DOT certified ones need proper heat.
I am not asking if you can use them in cold weather. Anyone can use them in cold weather whats stopping you? Sure they recommend not to use them in cold weather but you think everyone listens to that? You ever used bread a day after the expiration?

Point being, some people do it. Just curious if anyone has had issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
alfazrus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

Never had an experience with R compound tires but with high performance summer only tires I had big problems in DC area. I can't imagine with R compound. That's why I have dedicated summer and winter set. Of course, you can use them as you wish, just make sure you have a good insurance.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

I run RE71R's year round, kinda an R-comp depending on how you classify them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. We also don't have real winters in norcal and I would highly recommend not letting a very soft tire get below 35*F at any point.
Appreciate 2
alfazrus101.00
      08-21-2020, 01:43 AM   #6
rev210
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008

Yes. Kumho v70a. Brilliant. traction on a 10 second car , full power in 2nd , dead hooks in 1st with heat in them. Goes around corners . No so called street r comps compare , if you have upgraded turbos . I ran yoko AD08Rs and these are well beyond them. Firestones and Federals are a massive performace compromise by comparison. Fair enough you get miles as a trade off. Also these ones are happy in the wet, lots of confidence (tread pattern like racing wets).

If you have icy roads then you should definately have tyres to suit that , just forget all performance tyres and have some spare ones for it.
Total driver engagement ,no excuses.
Down side , short lifespan . But, its a running cost that is even better than good fuel or oil. Its for endorphins and no more excuses losing races with wheelspin.
Have some on some spare rims or just put in the cars yearly running cost budget under the category 'total fun'

Last edited by rev210; 08-21-2020 at 01:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev210 View Post
Yes. Kumho v70a. Brilliant. traction on a 10 second car , full power in 2nd , dead hooks in 1st with heat in them. Goes around corners . No so called street r comps compare , if you have upgraded turbos . I ran yoko AD08Rs and these are well beyond them. Firestones and Federals are a massive performace compromise by comparison. Fair enough you get miles as a trade off. Also these ones are happy in the wet, lots of confidence (tread pattern like racing wets).

If you have icy roads then you should definately have tyres to suit that , just forget all performance tyres and have some spare ones for it.
Total driver engagement ,no excuses.
Down side , short lifespan . But, its a running cost that is even better than good fuel or oil. Its for endorphins and no more excuses losing races with wheelspin.
Have some on some spare rims or just put in the cars yearly running cost budget under the category 'total fun'
Seems like a good tire at a good price, wish they made em in 19's
Appreciate 0