E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Acceleration rattle

06-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Incrediblewoody
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Acceleration rattle

Hi all, this is killing me slowly..

I have new OEM turbos, Iím hitting boost targets according to JB4, car feels great however I get a tinny rattle between 1.5k - 3k revs roughly, always seems to happen at about 25% throttle.

If I go WOT there is no rattle at all, there is no rattle on decel at all and there is absolutely no rattle whilst parked and revving.

JB4 settings do not effect the acceleration rattle at all.

BMW had it for the day to look at the heatshields and are insisting itís all good and that they canít find anything wrong..

Any ideas?

If someone figures it out there is beer money on the way to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
Snypa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Like a mahdman !

Sounds like the wastegate rattles to me. I've seen it happen on 'new' turbos from BMW after having the turbo recall done.
      06-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #3
shanker604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrediblewoody View Post

I have new OEM turbos, Iím hitting boost targets according to JB4, car feels great however I get a tinny rattle between 1.5k - 3k revs roughly, always seems to happen at about 25% throttle.

If I go WOT there is no rattle at all, there is no rattle on decel at all and there is absolutely no rattle whilst parked and revving.

BMW had it for the day to look at the heatshields and are insisting itís all good and that they canít find anything wrong..

Any ideas?

there are 2 diff. wastegate rattles, one when you decelerate and one on light acceleration like you described which i have as well. If i floor it its fine but under light throttle around 2500rpm i can hear it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Due to a combination of the wastegates themselves and our vacuum system, all sorts of things can have an effect on wastegate rattle for these cars unfortunately. I had a decent amount of it after swapping to catless DPs, but swapping out my PCV valve for an upgraded one and putting on a new pcv flapper hose solved 99% of it for me. Right now mine only rattles after a cold start on light acceleration and I have 123k miles on my car. Oddly enough if I have my exhaust flap's electrical plug plugged in I'll get more of it, almost certainly due to it being run by vacuum.

I'd start with the PCV valve and flapper since you can get both for $60ish and swap them yourself in 45 minutes if you're taking your time. Wouldn't hurt to replace your vacuum hoses either, I'd expect between doing all that and with new turbos you shouldn't experience any.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #5
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
Due to a combination of the wastegates themselves and our vacuum system, all sorts of things can have an effect on wastegate rattle for these cars unfortunately. I had a decent amount of it after swapping to catless DPs, but swapping out my PCV valve for an upgraded one and putting on a new pcv flapper hose solved 99% of it for me. Right now mine only rattles after a cold start on light acceleration and I have 123k miles on my car. Oddly enough if I have my exhaust flap's electrical plug plugged in I'll get more of it, almost certainly due to it being run by vacuum.

I'd start with the PCV valve and flapper since you can get both for $60ish and swap them yourself in 45 minutes if you're taking your time. Wouldn't hurt to replace your vacuum hoses either, I'd expect between doing all that and with new turbos you shouldn't experience any.
What exactly does the pcv valve have to do with the rattle? Which flapper are you exactly talking about? Could you link both please?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46m3csl View Post
What exactly does the pcv valve have to do with the rattle? Which flapper are you exactly talking about? Could you link both please?
PCV valve maintains proper crankcase pressure specifically going between vacuum and boost, the flapper has a tiny hole in the flap itself that allows a small amount of vacuum into the crankcase that can get partially plugged due to blowby over thousands of miles but it mostly functions as the vent for the pcv system under boost. The oem pcv valve isn't purchasable by itself because BMW considers it part of the valve cover, but it's serviceable.

Several aftermarket brands sell an upgraded PCV valve, the stock flapper is fine though if you aren't running a catch can on the high side. I purchased both from Rob Beck just due to them being available together on one site, but as I said there's other options. http://www.rbturbo.com/products/accessories

I'd also venture to say your engine will run a bit better replacing them both if they've never been serviced
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrediblewoody View Post

I have new OEM turbos, I’m hitting boost targets according to JB4, car feels great however I get a tinny rattle between 1.5k - 3k revs roughly, always seems to happen at about 25% throttle.

BMW had it for the day to look at the heatshields and are insisting it’s all good and that they can’t find anything wrong..

Any ideas?

Listen to the car upon start up, does it rattle from the passenger side of the engine near the exhaust manifold? If so, you have wastegate rattle.

Look for the DIYs on how to turn the rear actuator bolt 2 - 2 1/2 times). You'll need a 4mm and a 4.5mm mini wrench.

Look for the DIY's on how to make a U or horseshoe shaped set of no. 8 SS washers. Use those to shim the wastegate actuator, on the front turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
upshift_downshift
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
I had the same exact thing happen, and my turbos were new as well. When the car was cold, I reached down and wiggled the wastegate flapper on the rear turbo. There was definitely a lot of play, and it felt like it was worn out. It's been 35k miles since I had them replaced, and the car still drives the same as when they were new. It seems like they just come from the factory that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
I had the same exact thing happen, and my turbos were new as well. When the car was cold, I reached down and wiggled the wastegate flapper on the rear turbo. There was definitely a lot of play, and it felt like it was worn out. It's been 35k miles since I had them replaced, and the car still drives the same as when they were new. It seems like they just come from the factory that way.
Exactly why I would not replace my oem turbos with more oem turbos. Mitsubishi has obviously done nothing to address the wastegate rattle issue. Shame on them.
Appreciate 0