E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e92 starter dead

02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
d8rknight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2005 Yamaha R1  [0.00]
2011 Infinity G37x  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
Unhappy e92 starter dead

So initially, i was getting very slow/rough starts... but once the car started everything ran fine... no rough idle or anything. I figured well it has been cold the past few days, with snow etc...

In about 4 days...The starts started to get dramatically more sluggish and sometimes requiring me to press the start button x2. At that point i knew something was wrong.

I searched the forums and came across the coils/vanos/spark plug issues. its a 328i so i knew it wasn't the HPFP. My car has roughly 88k on her, and i just imagined its time for the spark plugs to be changed anyway. Made arrangements with (Clem) who does amazing work from the reviews on e90 post and I'm thinking cool..we'll try the plugs... test the battery... etc...

Went out of town for a week, came back to start the car and it attempted to turn over, but no go. Tried a second time i got nothing but a CLICK...

No codes were thrown during this entire period, other than im due for the 90k service soon. Got the car towed to a local indy, and it turned out to be the starter motor.

The Damage....
$400- starter and parts
$360- for labor
$120- diag
$150 for towing

comes to about $1100 out the door w/taxes. I checked Tischer for the starter, and yes it was about $65 cheaper.. but with shipping it came to $416. Gonna get it done at the indy shop. Called BMW of Rockville and SA gave me a similar quote. It appears once out of warranty most repairs unless its a DIY costs about 1k... my water pump did at 80k and that was about 1k at an indy out the door. One more thing go wrong and if it costs 1k+ imma be pissed. But then again... gotta pay to play. hope this post helps.
      02-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8rknight View Post
So initially, i was getting very slow/rough starts... but once the car started everything ran fine... no rough idle or anything. I figured well it has been cold the past few days, with snow etc...

In about 4 days...The starts started to get dramatically more sluggish and sometimes requiring me to press the start button x2. At that point i knew something was wrong.

I searched the forums and came across the coils/vanos/spark plug issues. its a 328i so i knew it wasn't the HPFP. My car has roughly 88k on her, and i just imagined its time for the spark plugs to be changed anyway. Made arrangements with (Clem) who does amazing work from the reviews on e90 post and I'm thinking cool..we'll try the plugs... test the battery... etc...

Went out of town for a week, came back to start the car and it attempted to turn over, but no go. Tried a second time i got nothing but a CLICK...

No codes were thrown during this entire period, other than im due for the 90k service soon. Got the car towed to a local indy, and it turned out to be the starter motor.

The Damage....
$400- starter and parts
$360- for labor
$120- diag
$150 for towing

comes to about $1100 out the door w/taxes. I checked Tischer for the starter, and yes it was about $65 cheaper.. but with shipping it came to $416. Gonna get it done at the indy shop. Called BMW of Rockville and SA gave me a similar quote. It appears once out of warranty most repairs unless its a DIY costs about 1k... my water pump did at 80k and that was about 1k at an indy out the door. One more thing go wrong and if it costs 1k+ imma be pissed. But then again... gotta pay to play. hope this post helps.
im getting really slow starts every morning but the car starts fine no having to do it twice or anything. no rough idles or anything im pretty sure its my battery going slowly. i went to put gas in last week and i noticed my battery signal came on my dash then it went away. it was yellow not red. time to buy a new one before i get stuck out there.
      02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
d8rknight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2005 Yamaha R1  [0.00]
2011 Infinity G37x  [0.00]
2010 335i  [0.00]
I just replaced my battery in oct... I wish it was the battery. got a warranty on it.