E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transfer case and front/rear differentials fluid change

04-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Transfer case and front/rear differentials fluid change

I'm looking to do the fluid changes on my E92 N55 xDrive within a week or two when I get my car back.

What brand of fluids should I use as it seems redline is very popular. Is there a specific part number two both items I could have? I'd appreciate it, thank you.
VRSF 7" IC, VRSF CP, aFe panel filter, VRSF DP, Pure Inlet Pipe, MHD/Twisted Tuned, Performance Exhaust, Koni Yellows on Eibach Pro Kit springs, Turner adjustable front endlinks, R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk 5.0 pads, VMR's 710, Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP, 3.5 TMAP, CYBA 3.8" black chrome exhaust tips, Orange Vinyl Wrap, CF bits, coding, Pure Stage 2 turbo w/ DV+(NGK plugs), xHP trans flash, and more.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

You have to use the BMW fluid for the transfer case.

The OEM fluid for the differential is Castrol SAF-XO. It's not available from Castrol anymore, but you can get it from the dealership. You can also get it from BMW Motorcycle dealerships, it's often a lot cheaper.

A lot of people have used other brands of gear oil, but getting the OEM fluid from the motorcycle dealership is often about the same price.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
HerrGruyere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

I've read to use only the BMW transfer case oil for the transfer case.

As for the diffs, you can probably use what you would like. I use Redline products, and my diffs are quiet.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Thanks guys. I was gonna do it myself on my buddy's hoist at his house. However, he's got his project on there for a while. I'm getting the transfer case done for $150 and the differentials for $130 with the BMW fluids.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
HerrGruyere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

$150 isn't bad. Will they reset the adaptations? I heard you have to do that. But I've also heard you don't. YMMV!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGruyere View Post
$150 isn't bad. Will they reset the adaptations? I heard you have to do that. But I've also heard you don't. YMMV!
Yes, you do have to reset the values. It's $65 for the BMW dealership to do that.
VRSF 7" IC, VRSF CP, aFe panel filter, VRSF DP, Pure Inlet Pipe, MHD/Twisted Tuned, Performance Exhaust, Koni Yellows on Eibach Pro Kit springs, Turner adjustable front endlinks, R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk 5.0 pads, VMR's 710, Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP, 3.5 TMAP, CYBA 3.8" black chrome exhaust tips, Orange Vinyl Wrap, CF bits, coding, Pure Stage 2 turbo w/ DV+(NGK plugs), xHP trans flash, and more.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
frank944
frank944
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i Xdrive

Hi all,

Yesterday started my 2012 BMW 528i xdrive oil change, It take a while for me to jack up the the whole car, I now confident do it now. Started with front diff oil, the clearance is small, only got to 2 inch, so I use EZ Red WC100 Wrench Connection Set Metric 6 Piece Low Profile, 14/15 mm one, and 15 mm wrench, use a big pipe to loosen it, I am so happy for these tool, and then i moved to transfer case oil, it only has smaller space, even use the ez red 14/15 mm, still can't get it loose, so I end up take the case out, and get it loose, and (with my car, the transfer case and real diff only has one fill plugs.), when I opened the transfer case fluid fill plug, only drop little oil, by the way my car is 4 years old, overall the oil color is not bad, and then I use hand pump get the oil out of fill hole, not much only may be 50ML or 100ml, not sure, but when I pumped the new old back to fill hole, about the same. That is the only I am concern. according to dealer, it has 1 Lit. Anyone can comment on this. so guess I didn't full changed the oil, the other two oil, i will be able to take about 500ML out. I am happy about that.

i am concern didn't get much transfer case fluid out, have you experience that? also with my 2012 528i xdrive, when removed the bolts from the case, it has rubber attach to the transfer case box, just wondering is this bracket is just use as holding tight with the car body, I have difficulty to put back so end up I have to use floor jack , jack it to the body of the car. Hope I didn't break anything.

Now i kept think about what did I wrong, may be after I drive around the neighborhood block to warm up the fluids, but the problems the time to take to jack up the car, change the front diff, and then real diff and then Transfer case with issue can't loose the fill (only has fill plug), may be the fluid is cold, can't even pump any more fluids. but on the other hand doesnt make any sense. That is really bother me, didnt finish the job....hope anyone can point to me the direction, my is 2012 BMW 528i xdrive, there is not a lot of post about transfer case fluid change with my type of car. May be something I didnt know???

Thanks

Frank
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank944 View Post
Hi all,

Yesterday started my 2012 BMW 528i xdrive oil change, It take a while for me to jack up the the whole car, I now confident do it now. Started with front diff oil, the clearance is small, only got to 2 inch, so I use EZ Red WC100 Wrench Connection Set Metric 6 Piece Low Profile, 14/15 mm one, and 15 mm wrench, use a big pipe to loosen it, I am so happy for these tool, and then i moved to transfer case oil, it only has smaller space, even use the ez red 14/15 mm, still can't get it loose, so I end up take the case out, and get it loose, and (with my car, the transfer case and real diff only has one fill plugs.), when I opened the transfer case fluid fill plug, only drop little oil, by the way my car is 4 years old, overall the oil color is not bad, and then I use hand pump get the oil out of fill hole, not much only may be 50ML or 100ml, not sure, but when I pumped the new old back to fill hole, about the same. That is the only I am concern. according to dealer, it has 1 Lit. Anyone can comment on this. so guess I didn't full changed the oil, the other two oil, i will be able to take about 500ML out. I am happy about that.

i am concern didn't get much transfer case fluid out, have you experience that? also with my 2012 528i xdrive, when removed the bolts from the case, it has rubber attach to the transfer case box, just wondering is this bracket is just use as holding tight with the car body, I have difficulty to put back so end up I have to use floor jack , jack it to the body of the car. Hope I didn't break anything.

Now i kept think about what did I wrong, may be after I drive around the neighborhood block to warm up the fluids, but the problems the time to take to jack up the car, change the front diff, and then real diff and then Transfer case with issue can't loose the fill (only has fill plug), may be the fluid is cold, can't even pump any more fluids. but on the other hand doesnt make any sense. That is really bother me, didnt finish the job....hope anyone can point to me the direction, my is 2012 BMW 528i xdrive, there is not a lot of post about transfer case fluid change with my type of car. May be something I didnt know???

Thanks

Frank
I would think about 20-30oz of fluid would come out of the transfer case. I hope you have BMW transfer case fluid. It?s pretty expensive at $50.00 for a quart. BMW is the only one who makes it.

You can always use an air powered brake vacuum like a mity vac for example to get the fluid out.

On the X5’s (e70), there is a fill & drain plug on the transfer case. Both are tough to get too.

Having the engine slightly warm is not a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
frank944
frank944
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i Xdrive

only one fill plus, that is all.
Appreciate 0