E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > First ticket of my life.. Unsafe left turn? LOL

07-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
SAADTHESAV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 SMB F80 M3 CS

First ticket of my life.. Unsafe left turn? LOL

Yeah so ofcourse.. I was in vacation in Irvine last weekend and I was driving my buddy's car from a Korean BBQ place to a Boba place and I make a left turn going into a plaza and a cop driving the other way pulls me over in the plaza.. right in front of the Boba place.

He said that a car was about to hit me.. which I was not even close to. It was about a 5-10 mph left turn BTW.

I live in the bay area and I'm a college student so now I have to go all the way down to Irvine just to go to court.. Do you guys have any excuses you can think of which could get me out of this ticket? I'm planning on pleading not guilty.. I know I wasn't at fault, but does anyone know what I could say that would be help the judge believe me and give me a NOT GUILTY?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:32 AM   #2
E93_Savage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 73 240z , 09 335i

I got out of a few tickets by providing diagrams. Google maps of the street, your cars position and the position of said car you were almost hit by or hit.

Unfortunately I still had to go to Stockton and I live in oakland.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
nuipisqo
Private
Rep
Drives: mostly stock 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAADTHESAV View Post
Yeah so ofcourse.. I was in vacation in Irvine last weekend and I was driving my buddy's car from a Korean BBQ place to a Boba place and I make a left turn going into a plaza and a cop driving the other way pulls me over in the plaza.. right in front of the Boba place.

He said that a car was about to hit me.. which I was not even close to. It was about a 5-10 mph left turn BTW.

I live in the bay area and I'm a college student so now I have to go all the way down to Irvine just to go to court.. Do you guys have any excuses you can think of which could get me out of this ticket? I'm planning on pleading not guilty.. I know I wasn't at fault, but does anyone know what I could say that would be help the judge believe me and give me a NOT GUILTY?
What you want to hear: You will likely have this ticket dismissed, if you follow up, and go through the legal process.

STOP HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT.

Many times, when a peace officer says that you were being unsafe, maybe you were. I mean, how many times were we pulled over for 80 for speeding and let go with a warning? I think that just because there aren't discrete facts to prove a subjective "safe", it's easy to just say that the officer is crazy and he was out to get you.

You were probably being somewhat unsafe, and refuting that further proves how unknowingly incompetent you might be at assessing the situation. If you're still reading, I feel like a good mindset to have is to reflect on potentially how you could have been a bit more safe. The forum does sympathize with you, because tickets are expensive, but he gave you the ticket possibly to make you a better driver.

Be more open-minded, the next time you see that people are behaving like you just did... hopefully you can share this with them.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAADTHESAV View Post

An officer pulled me over for going "20" above the speed limit so a 65 in a 45 zone and he said that he knew this because he said he had to go atleast 75 to catch up to me which means that he just eyeballed my speed. I go to school in Irvine as well and my court hearing is right when I start school.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Squirt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Just get a lawyer. They'll call the prosecutor and cut a deal. I've done it many times. Best bet is hiring someone local with a good reputation if you can. That way they'll probably already have a relationship and it will be an easy win. It will probably cost much less than you think.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
Dlude
Rep
Drives: 09 335D

Best way to fight it is trial by declaration. Through the mail. Cops hate more paperwork and you don't have to drive down to socal.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Brandon818
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is, 2018 M5, 2003 M3,

Garage List
2022 Mexico Blau M ...  [0.00]
2003 Bmw M3  [0.00]
2018 Bmw M5  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335is  [0.00]