E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Will the AWD hurt handeling performance?

03-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the suspension difference.

The RWD + sports package sits 1.4" lower than the XI (which has no sport suspension). (FYI, the XI is 0.8" higher than stock RWD).

To me this makes a huge difference in how the car feels, and how playful it is.

I imagine that you could lower the XI if you wanted to mod the suspension, but I would also guess you would lose a lot of suspension travel if you did this.

(the other factors have been mentioned - XI more nose heavy, more understeer, some more drive train power loss). AWD is amazing in an autocross. On a track I am usually in 3rd gear or higher - with good tires traction isn't usually a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
///manuel
Rep
Drives: 2.0, 3.2, 4.0 & 4.8

I would like to hear more input from 335xi owners about the handling as well.

Can you feel the added weight in the front?
Does the car push even more than the "i" from the factory?
Is braking affected?

I drove an auto xi and was impressed with how strong it pulled but was a little surprised about how soft the suspension was (lots of roll and rear lift). At that time, I wasn't looking at 335's so I didn't really test it with future ownership in mind.

Last edited by ///manuel; 04-06-2008 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

go drive them yourself. That is what I did when someone claimed "you can't tell the difference on the street." I sure could. Both models have advantages, you need to choose what is best for you. I love how a RWD car is more involving. For me, the option of the sports suspension on RWD only along with the "feel" issues made me choose RWD. I have had AWD for 8 years, and am just getting tired of the handling compromises.
Appreciate 0