E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Trying to sort out P013E & P013A codes after VRSF downpipe & DP fix install

07-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #45
NewPotatoHead
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP 6spd

So I'm having the same exact issue as some of you guys. I just bought a 2011 e90 335i, and just tried to get it inspected in MA yesterday. I have catless downpipes in the car and an A74 DP fix installed, but after driving the car for just a few minutes the SEL light pops up. I'm getting the codes P013E and P0138 which both hint to a delayed response from one of the O2 sensors. I'm thinking it's either a bad O2 sensor or bad wiring by the previous owner. I will keep you guys updated, and if you guys have any suggestions, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #46
maxihari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport 6spd

I took power off DP Fix, and kept getting the code - which meant O2 sensor was bad (have a JB4 that "hid" the codes prior to that).
Disconnected JB4, changed sensor for a new one, connected DP fix back up and...
still got the codes right after the first drive cycle.

At that point, decided to switch DPs to OEM and pass.
      07-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #47
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Because of this thread I scanned my car and I got inactive codes: 2CED - Oxygen sensor after cat, dynamics, from rich to lean: slow response and 2D15 - Oxygen sensor after cat, in coasting/overrun mode, from rich to lean: Delayed response.

Going to remove the SIM either tonight or tomorrow and see if the inactive codes disappear.

Update: Never removed the SIM but I reflashed the car with OEM/Catted DP checked and the inactive codes are no longer there. Flashed back to catless to keep the light from coming on and codes are still not there. Everyone who is having issues with the light and everything, make sure you have it wired correctly and you are using the positaps that the instructions tell you to use. I passed emissions easily with this back in November and my SIM has been in ever since without issue. Also, when you are getting your emission readiness with this, do not drive the car hard. Drive it easy for a couple drive cycles and you should be emission ready.

Last edited by NRigs; 07-22-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #48
blako4
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPotatoHead View Post
So I'm having the same exact issue as some of you guys. I just bought a 2011 e90 335i, and just tried to get it inspected in MA yesterday. I have catless downpipes in the car and an A74 DP fix installed, but after driving the car for just a few minutes the SEL light pops up. I'm getting the codes P013E and P0138 which both hint to a delayed response from one of the O2 sensors. I'm thinking it's either a bad O2 sensor or bad wiring by the previous owner. I will keep you guys updated, and if you guys have any suggestions, let me know.
Any updates? Dealing with the same problem right now as well. I'm thinking on getting a new dpfix and wrapping it in some heat wrap since it gets crazy hot in the engine bay. After all, all this unit is a little circuit board in a thin plastic casing that probably can't handle the temperatures the turbo and engine produce.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #49
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blako4 View Post
Any updates? Dealing with the same problem right now as well. I'm thinking on getting a new dpfix and wrapping it in some heat wrap since it gets crazy hot in the engine bay. After all, all this unit is a little circuit board in a thin plastic casing that probably can't handle the temperatures the turbo and engine produce.
I'm having the same issue as many people in this thread. No tune installed, catless DP and just installed the sim. The light stays on constantly. After driving ~10 miles the CEL P013E comes on. Has anyone solved this? Was wondering if any of the following matters.

1. Disconnecting the battery should remove all previous codes? In case my amazon purchased OBDII reader isn't clearing correctly.

2. Do you have to wait a full minute after turning the car on to allow the car to warm up before driving? Does not allowing it to warm up cause an issue? Haven't looked at the sim after the car warms up but its a constant blue light when it initially turns on.

3. I've see the install guide from "Aare 47" and they have the sim on the other side of the plug. One install has the sim on the side with the grey,black, 2x white side of the plug while the "Aare 47" shows the install on the opposite side of the connection yellow, grey and white, red and grey, and red and green side.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #50
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

someone also mentioned possibly damaging the o2 sensor on install. How can you figure out if the o2 sensor got damaged or its just the catless dp throwing the error?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
Divbetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I had the same codes after installing a DP fix recently, the codes would show with or without the OEM DP checked on MHD. I tried stage 0 and my current stage 2 and the fix would allow o2 to ready but never saw catalyst switch from incomplete. The codes haven't come back since I removed the fix.
      11-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #52
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divbetic View Post
I had the same codes after installing a DP fix recently, the codes would show with or without the OEM DP checked on MHD. I tried stage 0 and my current stage 2 and the fix would allow o2 to ready but never saw catalyst switch from incomplete. The codes haven't come back since I removed the fix.
so you got the CEL light go go away with the MHD software? right now I have a catless DP with the catsim installed. All modules become ready excluding one but I do have that CEL light. So I can pass emissions with the modules but not with the CEL. I'm thinking of reinstalling my jb4 now, but when I put the catsim on previously with the jb4 installed, none of the o2 modules became ready. somehow the jb4 was blocking that even though it was on map 0
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #53
Divbetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenight View Post
so you got the CEL light go go away with the MHD software? right now I have a catless DP with the catsim installed. All modules become ready excluding one but I do have that CEL light. So I can pass emissions with the modules but not with the CEL. I'm thinking of reinstalling my jb4 now, but when I put the catsim on previously with the jb4 installed, none of the o2 modules became ready. somehow the jb4 was blocking that even though it was on map 0
From the time I installed the sim to the time I took it off I was getting a SES light for o2 delayed response. The light would pop back up within 10 miles of resetting regardless of which stage I had installed. Although I had the light, I was able to get all monitors besides Catalyst and Evap to switch to ready, but the SES from what I understand was preventing the Cat monitor from switching to ready. Either way, in CA I can't pass with a SES light.
      11-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #54
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
From the time I installed the sim to the time I took it off I was getting a SES light for o2 delayed response. The light would pop back up within 10 miles of resetting regardless of which stage I had installed. Although I had the light, I was able to get all monitors besides Catalyst and Evap to switch to ready, but the SES from what I understand was preventing the Cat monitor from switching to ready. Either way, in CA I can't pass with a SES light.
so what was your solution or what did you end up doing to pass emissions?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
Divbetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so what was your solution or what did you end up doing to pass emissions?
Fortunately, I won't have to worry about emissions until next October but it looks like I'll just be swapping the stock DP in and back out after I pass.
      11-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #56
jaytes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-sport

I am guessing this is very common, I am in the same boat. Didnt pass Inspection 2x. FBO +jb4

(i am allowed 1 fail) JB4 is at Map 0

1st try EVAP not ready and DP install (missing CAT), light on dash

2nd try VRSF DP fix installed, Throwing P013E now and light on dash.

According to my last email to Tiago the code has been there and the JB4 was clearing it. (I did not have auto clear enabled) Their fix will not fix my o2 related code.

Can that be true? I am about to just go back to my OEM CAT and say good bye to the DP

Last edited by jaytes; 11-06-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #57
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytes View Post
I am guessing this is very common, I am in the same boat. Didnt pass Inspection 2x. FBO +jb4

According to my last email to Tiago the code has been there and the JB4 was clearing it. (I did not have auto clear enabled) Their fix will not fix my o2 related code.

Can that be true? I am about to just go back to my OEM CAT and say good bye to the DP
I'm in the exact same boat you are. I contacted VRSF and they basically said I could return the DP fix, zero help with the issue. I've tried having the jb4 installed with the DP fix and the 02 modules never got ready. I've also tried removing the jb4 and only have the dp fix and then i get that same p013e error and a cel. Not sure what to do other then go stock at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #58
jaytes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm in the exact same boat you are. I contacted VRSF and they basically said I could return the DP fix, zero help with the issue. I've tried having the jb4 installed with the DP fix and the 02 modules never got ready. I've also tried removing the jb4 and only have the dp fix and then i get that same p013e error and a cel. Not sure what to do other then go stock at this point.
Quote:
Quote:

yeah, VRSF just got back to me, they said it might not be compatible with my DME and will send a return. I am going to a shop on Monday to see what they say. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #59
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah, VRSF just got back to me, they said it might not be compatible with my DME and will send a return. I am going to a shop on Monday to see what they say. I'll keep you posted.
whats the verdict?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #60
jaytes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
whats the verdict?
he doesn't think I should put back the OEM it would be a waste. he is going to try to sauder the dp fix thinking it might be a circuit issue or cross wiring and going to monitor the o2. I am taking it in again on Thursday for $150 flat until I get readiness. going to be back n forth diagnostics with the shop. they seem pretty cool n eager to find a work around.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #61
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
he doesn't think I should put back the OEM it would be a waste. he is going to try to sauder the dp fix thinking it might be a circuit issue or cross wiring and going to monitor the o2. I am taking it in again on Thursday for $150 flat until I get readiness. going to be back n forth diagnostics with the shop. they seem pretty cool n eager to find a work around.
I heard you shouldn't be running the car all the time with the o2 sim on. If its a connectivity issue then maybe a direct connect could work. I was using the taps, what about you?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #62
jaytes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I heard you shouldn't be running the car all the time with the o2 sim on. If its a connectivity issue then maybe a direct connect could work. I was using the taps, what about you?
they say you can leave it on, but I was just keeping it until I passed inspection. I was using taps as well. UPDATE: no luck we are going to try the Area 74 sim. I just purchased it and should arrive next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #63
blako4
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Well, I was finally successful with the Area 74. They were absolutely awesome with the help and I can't say anything but good things about them. For everyone's reference, I used these directions here and followed them exactly: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=303

Some additional bit of advice I'd like to offer up is to be careful with stripping the wire, wrapping the sim in turbo wrap and zip tying it as far away from any heat as possible. I also drove around for a couple of days under 3k RPM, making sure not to go WOT and it did the trick. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #64
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I was finally successful with the Area 74. They were absolutely awesome with the help and I can't say anything but good things about them. For everyone's reference, I used these directions here and followed them exactly: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=303

Some additional bit of advice I'd like to offer up is to be careful with stripping the wire, wrapping the sim in turbo wrap and zip tying it as far away from any heat as possible. I also drove around for a couple of days under 3k RPM, making sure not to go WOT and it did the trick. Good luck!
waiting for mine in the mail as we speak. I'll post my hopeful success as well next week. If its this simple why was it so hard to find the solution!!!???
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #65
Divbetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for this update! Did you ever get a SES light when running the A74? With the VRSF (which Tiago fully refunded me for) I was getting a SES within 10 mins of resetting codes no matter how lightly I drove. Looking forward to trying the A74 if this works, that would be way better than swapping the DP out twice.
      11-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #66
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this update! Did you ever get a SES light when running the A74? With the VRSF (which Tiago fully refunded me for) I was getting a SES within 10 mins of resetting codes no matter how lightly I drove. Looking forward to trying the A74 if this works, that would be way better than swapping the DP out twice.
I was unable to get mine working from VRSF as well. Another member had the issue and it was fixed with the A74 one. Mine comes in later next week. I'll update when I install it.
Appreciate 0