E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Electric buffing machines

08-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Electric buffing machines

So I was shopping at Makro (A wholesale shop) and I was in the car accessories asile when I saw an MVP superline palm buffer on sale.

It was cheap, so I bought it. I just want some advice before I attempt to use it on my black car....

It comes with two "covers".
A hardish feeling "synthetic wool bonnet"
and a very soft feeling "terry cloth bonnet"

It doesn't say which I'm supposed to use and for what?

The machine is quite small, plugs into my cigarette lighter and rotates on a random orbit at 2600rpm.

Anyone have an experience using these machines? Do I use it to apply the polish or only buff the polish off? and Do you think it will scratch my car?

More importantly, which of the two covers (mentioned above) should I use...and for what?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Rather stay away from the wool bonnet

You can use the terry cloth bonnet to apply wax, and then use a terry cloth towel or better yet a microfiber towel to remove it by hand when it is dry
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

personally wouldnt use any. Should return in and buy a Porter Cable 7424 and a set of pads. Best investment for your paint!! Especially with black paint there should be no messing around. Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Smile

Spot-on.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I have had lots of experience with buffers, and personally, I think the only time you should use one is when your car is really scratched and has years and years of swirl marks.

They do work well polishing the car, yes--but the kinds I've used range from cheap plastic ones, to heavy metal ones, to $500+ industrial 1800 rpm, and I really can't say I've had success with any of them unless the car has rough areas, areas with tar or bugs, light scratches, or swirls.

My best advice would be to buy diamond shield wax (but there are MANY other brands of wax and polish http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13). Cut up a 100% cotton tee shirt into a small piece (make sure the small piece is wet, large piece is dry) and large piece. Use the small piece to apply the wax, use the large piece to take off the wax by hand, in straight movements--both applying and taking off. Never apply or take off the wax in direct sunlight. I think you'll be surprised how well old fashoned elbow grease works on a new
finish

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, a buffer will put very fine scratches in the finish, no matter what kind of buffer or wax you use. However, buffers usually cause clouding or swirl marks, especially on jet black. On other colors, it would be more difficult to notice. But if you are looking for a genuine glass look for at least a year or two (before your finish gets naturally weathered), do it by hand.

Last edited by deutschmann59; 02-19-2006 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 03:29 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn
personally wouldnt use any. Should return in and buy a Porter Cable 7424 and a set of pads. Best investment for your paint!! Especially with black paint there should be no messing around. Chris
They are not available in 220V, only in the USA 110V

The closets we get here is is a industrial makita, but it costs around $700

And the buffing pads are very hard to get. I actually get meguiars pads through BMW from germany
Appreciate 0