E90Post

European Auto Source (EAS)

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: E90 Oil Pan Gasket and Subframe Drop

05-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #243
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Thanks for the write-up. This is very helpful. In the TIS, it specifically says to check the subframe threads for damage and repair them with a helicoil. I find it odd it would point that out.

Is this something common that could happen?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #244
nilknarf
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Wagon

Just finished this job. Thanks OP...write up was a big help. I went ahead and swapped out the engine mounts, water pump, thermostat and radiator (had a pinhole leak) while I had the subframe dropped. Also did the OFHG. Took about two full days for everything. Used the Harbor Freight engine support which worked fine after adding a couple of washers to tighten it up. I did remove the transmission cooler lines, so had to top my fluid off afterwards. Only issue I ran into was that the power steering pump bolts turned out to be aluminum and I didn't have new ones on hand so I reused the aluminum ones, tightening very carefully by feel. No idea how close the torque is to spec, so will order some new ones and replace them later.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh4932.00

05-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #245
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Thanks for the write-up. This is very helpful. In the TIS, it specifically says to check the subframe threads for damage and repair them with a helicoil. I find it odd it would point that out.

Is this something common that could happen?
I think if penetrating oil is used on the subframe bolts it greatly reduces the risk of damaging the threads.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #246
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

In the middle of a transmission repair on the car and this job is up next. What's the best way to get rid of the grime and dirt from the gasket mating surfaces? Emory cloth and razor? Can anyone also point me to a link for removing the steering rack?