E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sport mode shuts off after 30 seconds. Please help.

10-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #67
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Thanks again George,

I was pretty sick the last few weeks and was having trouble comprehending simple tasks. Happy to say I'm 90% back to normal (but still quarantined) and should be able to follow your instructions.

Yes downloaded through Mega.
I did click the ? but stared blankly at the instructions. LOL>

Your step 6, how long does it take to complete the checks? I got to that point but never saw the control unit tree. Maybe I was impatient.

Fritzer,

No, not all 8 wires. Most people have reported issues with one specific wire. (or many but including the one)
I have visually inspected every wire. I even took multiple pictures with my phone and blew them up to inspect. Not 1 single crack or kink or weak spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #68
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyWaster420 View Post
I’m having the same issue
I will report my findings. If you learn anything on your end please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #69
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Grey Xi View Post
Thanks again George,
I was pretty sick the last few weeks and was having trouble comprehending simple tasks. Happy to say I'm 90% back to normal (but still quarantined) and should be able to follow your instructions. Yes downloaded through Mega.
I did click the ? but stared blankly at the instructions. LOL>
Your step 6, how long does it take to complete the checks? I got to that point but never saw the control unit tree. Maybe I was impatient...
Hope you didn't have the "Whitehouse Virus"; Download/ViralLoad from MAGA perhaps?
Seriously, please take care of yourself, WHATEVER you had. If COVID 19, be aware that some, perhaps many, have some degree of Neurological impairment, hopefully only temporarily. Confusion, inability to focus, or inability to do normal logical processes are common.

Not clear WHOSE MEGA download you used, but if it was the MEGA site linked on BimmerGeeks "Downloads" page, you should have the SAME Rheingold/ ISTA+ installation I have. All screens and comments used here relate to the BG Downloads-linked MEGA pages for BMW Standard Tools, E89 Datens, and Rheingold (ISTA+).

I've been meaning to (and WILL in the next several days) do an "ISTA Tutorial" with ScreenPrint of EACH screen that appears in the Startup Process: Operations > Read Out Vehicle Data > Complete Identification. The Control Unit Tree should appear in a minute or less. If it does NOT, then try pressing the OTHER button at bottom-right: "Identification WITHOUT Vehicle Test", instead of pressing "Complete Identification".

If THAT does NOT produce "Vehicle Details" screen, OR greyed-out Control Unit Tree, then your "Default Settings" in ISTA may be incorrect. Mine were, causing failure to "Connect" with vehicle, and here is what I had to do to correct that.

1) At opening ISTA+ Screen there are 13 Icons (including "Close") in the Symbol Bar or Task Bar at top of page.
2) Select the "Wrench" (Administration/Settings) Icon (Cable NOT connected to computer).
3) You should see 6 tabs at top of page: Select "VCI Config".
4) At top-left of resulting screen, you should see: Interface Type:
5) Click/Select FIRST circle: "Ediabas Default Settings"
6) Click OK at bottom-right of that screen to close diaglog screen.

NOW try to connect as discussed above, and let us know if any problems.

As for [?] Icon on Symbol Bar: NOT sure if you were able to open the 52-page "ISTA User Manual" when you clicked on that or NOT. If you have the Download I have, BG-linked as described above, AND you have Adobe Acrobat Reader (Free Online Download--just Google Acrobat Reader), or other pdf reader installed, clicking that [?] icon SHOULD open Acrobat & the Manual in 2 seconds or less. Let us know about that as well.
George
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #70
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Hope you didn't have the "Whitehouse Virus"; Download/ViralLoad from MAGA perhaps?
Seriously, please take care of yourself, WHATEVER you had. If COVID 19, be aware that some, perhaps many, have some degree of Neurological impairment, hopefully only temporarily. Confusion, inability to focus, or inability to do normal logical processes are common.

Not clear WHOSE MEGA download you used, but if it was the MEGA site linked on BimmerGeeks "Downloads" page, you should have the SAME Rheingold/ ISTA+ installation I have. All screens and comments used here relate to the BG Downloads-linked MEGA pages for BMW Standard Tools, E89 Datens, and Rheingold (ISTA+).

I've been meaning to (and WILL in the next several days) do an "ISTA Tutorial" with ScreenPrint of EACH screen that appears in the Startup Process: Operations > Read Out Vehicle Data > Complete Identification. The Control Unit Tree should appear in a minute or less. If it does NOT, then try pressing the OTHER button at bottom-right: "Identification WITHOUT Vehicle Test", instead of pressing "Complete Identification".

If THAT does NOT produce "Vehicle Details" screen, OR greyed-out Control Unit Tree, then your "Default Settings" in ISTA may be incorrect. Mine were, causing failure to "Connect" with vehicle, and here is what I had to do to correct that.

1) At opening ISTA+ Screen there are 13 Icons (including "Close") in the Symbol Bar or Task Bar at top of page.
2) Select the "Wrench" (Administration/Settings) Icon (Cable NOT connected to computer).
3) You should see 6 tabs at top of page: Select "VCI Config".
4) At top-left of resulting screen, you should see: Interface Type:
5) Click/Select FIRST circle: "Ediabas Default Settings"
6) Click OK at bottom-right of that screen to close diaglog screen.

NOW try to connect as discussed above, and let us know if any problems.

As for [?] Icon on Symbol Bar: NOT sure if you were able to open the 52-page "ISTA User Manual" when you clicked on that or NOT. If you have the Download I have, BG-linked as described above, AND you have Adobe Acrobat Reader (Free Online Download--just Google Acrobat Reader), or other pdf reader installed, clicking that [?] icon SHOULD open Acrobat & the Manual in 2 seconds or less. Let us know about that as well.
George
We downloaded from the same place so we should have the same software.
But....my menus are different.

When I click on the Wrench I only get 5 tabs.
The last tab says vehicle interface and when clicked I see Interface type at the top left....difference is that every option is Grey and not available.
Including the Ediabas default settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #71
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Got It!

I closed the program and opened it again.
I was able to select Ediabas default settings.

To the batmobile....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #72
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

No Luck,

I still cant connect to the car.
Maybe I'm using the wrong cable or have something set wrong.

Control Unit Tree is Grey.
Also, when my cable is connected it lights up. after a short while the light goes out. Possible Windows 10 compatibility issue with the cable. (just read fine print)

I have the manual, I will see if I can find something there.

Error
The vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-diagnosis has been activated.

Last edited by Space Grey Xi; 10-08-2020 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #73
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
No Luck,

I still cant connect to the car.
Maybe I'm using the wrong cable or have something set wrong.

Control Unit Tree is Grey.
Also, when my cable is connected it lights up. after a short while the light goes out. Possible Windows 10 compatibility issue with the cable. (just read fine print)

I have the manual, I will see if I can find something there.

Error
The vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-diagnosis has been activated.
Have you double checked your COM port settings and adjusted the Latency timer to 1?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #74
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Based on the fact that I don't know what that is....I'm going to say no.
Please let me know how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #75
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Based on the fact that I don't know what that is....I'm going to say no. Please let me know how to do that.
Do that with the Cable connected to your Computer, but Computer NOT connected to car per the instructions in the attached pdf, INPA Quickstart Tutorial.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 24 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #76
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Good info, Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #77
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Turns out I'm dangerous and shouldn't be allowed to play with stuff like this.
Good news is that my cable is working and I can communicate with the car.
Bad news is that I have tried to reset the code for the Gearbox oil 6x with no success. It keeps coming back.
Then I think I pushed too many buttons and reset the computer for the transmission which added another code which also will not reset.
This one is 55C3 VTG: AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified Nominal torque. Is currently present 'No'.

car seems to drive fine.

Last edited by Space Grey Xi; 10-09-2020 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #78
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

When I attempt to clear the codes I get a dialogue box that reads:
'Switch off the ignition and remove the ignition key with remote control from the key slot (if present)'
I do as instructed but the box remains.
Only way to close it is to click Cancel or the little 'x' in the top right corner of the box.

Last edited by Space Grey Xi; 10-09-2020 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:15 PM   #79
Edn54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i

Check under the gear selector wires ! Check trans oil level aswell might be transmission problem !
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #80
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

I just replaced the shifter a couple of days ago. No change at all.
Trans fluid level may be something to look at.
I'll take it to a shop for that. I'm the one who filled the trans fluid so I'm not the guy to double check the level.

Been spending time on other issues like replacing my Valve cover, pcv hose and eccentric shaft sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #81
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Well, I hadn't put much thought into the sport mode thing lately but the recent post by Edn54 got the brain turning again.
A few quick google searches with different descriptions brought me an assortment of similar issues with different BMW models.
The most common issue was low tire pressure warnings causing cars to automatically switch from sport to comfort mode. Reading further I read that lots of different warnings with cause the car to do the same thing.
I don't have a TPM sensor warning nor do I have any lights on the dash lit. What I do have is a trans mission fluid code that wont reset.
I remember reading that one of the reasons a transmission code will not reset is because it is over or under filled.....which is what Edn54 said to check.

We may be on to something. it will likely be a week before I get it to my mechanic
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #82
Jean Michael Dias
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320

Hello budy, how are you ? I am Brazilian I speak Portuguese but I want to help you, I am a mechanic and a BMW 320i 2010 arrived with the same defect, after several tests I found an adjustment with the Launch X341 scanner device for activation or adaptation of the tilting selection controls and I activated and solved my problem just one simple adjustment I hope q solves your problem too. all the best to you!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #83
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Michael Dias View Post
Hello budy, how are you ? I am Brazilian I speak Portuguese but I want to help you, I am a mechanic and a BMW 320i 2010 arrived with the same defect, after several tests I found an adjustment with the Launch X341 scanner device for activation or adaptation of the tilting selection controls and I activated and solved my problem just one simple adjustment I hope q solves your problem too. all the best to you!
Thanks Friend.

I actually just logged on to report the case closed.
The sport mode is staying on.

I was able to take the car to a shop and have the transmission fluid level corrected. It was overfilled a small amount. Not sure if that adjustment did anything.
Then I tried again to reset the code, I started with the code I thought was the transmission fluid code. It was the transfer case. I was able to tell the computer I changed this fluid and reset the code...then i reset the shifter code and i was done.
Codes cleared and stayed cleared.
Sport Mode works.
Thanks everyone for all your help.
I hope this thread helps other people....if they have the energy to read to the end. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:15 PM   #84
joncol
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i 1996 M3

Wow… that was a long read. After reading through several forums you’re the only one I’ve found with the same issue to T. Even taken my car into mechanic shops that have failed to solve the issue. Going to get BAFX this weekend and pray for a transmission code lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:31 PM   #85
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncol View Post
Wow… that was a long read. After reading through several forums you’re the only one I’ve found with the same issue to T. Even taken my car into mechanic shops that have failed to solve the issue. Going to get BAFX this weekend and pray for a transmission code lol.
Just FYI… can’t tell in the app, but the orevious poster’s problem would only be on an x-drive car. The transfer case adaptations have to be reset to reset the fluid life monitor function of the CBS. Of course, you should also change the fluid when doing so.
Appreciate 1
joncol0.00
      02-07-2023, 03:57 PM   #86
joncol
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Just FYI… can’t tell in the app, but the orevious poster’s problem would only be on an x-drive car. The transfer case adaptations have to be reset to reset the fluid life monitor function of the CBS. Of course, you should also change the fluid when doing so.
Yes it is an xDrive. Been having this problem for a few months now and I’m pretty confident it’s this or something very similar. I also don’t see damage to the wires and every other sport mode issue forum/video pertaining to the wires seems to be a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 04:55 PM   #87
joncol
Registered
United_States
Rep

So I ended up waiting until I could borrow my friends scanner. It is also running the 5673 Shift paddle code. It does not have a TPM sensor light or any transmission fluid codes. Engine codes are :
2C7E
2E68
2F0D
2F6C
I definitely need to replace a few sensors, but any idea which one/ones would be pertaining to the sport issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #88
KingoFvorKet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Michael Dias View Post
Hey could you explain a little bit more on how you’ve done this or what exactly did you
Appreciate 0