E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sport mode shuts off after 30 seconds. Please help.

10-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #45
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Good to know George, thanks.
I read that different years like different software. With mine being an 09 can I still use ISTA? May be a stupid question.

Tried the other shift boot with harness and diode....exact same results.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #46
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Just saw this thread, and Wow. That is LOT of verbiage for one broken wire.
You keep saying the wires "seem fine". Not exactly a test.
When you operate the lever, the relevant connector pin should ground. Have you tested that?
If your car's shifter's internal wiring is the same as my wife's, the wire that will produce your symptoms is the grey one.
All this nonsense from the manuals & circuit diagrams is hilarious, cause the wires that break aren't even on the diagrams. They're internal to the shifter assembly.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #47
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Grey Xi View Post
Good to know George, thanks.
I read that different years like different software. With mine being an 09 can I still use ISTA? May be a stupid question. Tried the other shift boot with harness and diode....exact same results.
Hi Jeff,

Short answer is you should have NO Problem using K+DCAN Cable and BG Download of BMW Standard Tools (INPA), E89 Datens, & Rheingold (ISTA), on your 2009 328xi.

AFAIK, the K+DCAN Cable, BMW Standard Tools (INPA, etc.) and ISTA (Rheingold) ALL work fine on ANY E9x Chassis and E89 Datens have proper Data files for any engine or transmission Control Module used in an E9x chassis, as well as any other Control Module. There MAY be some exceptions to that where special measures have be taken, such as file renaming to display GS1912 GM6 AT, or N55 DME. I had to deal with the former, and I've heard of others having to deal with the N55 DME thing, at least on certain Versions of INPA.

Sorry to hear that my SWAG regarding E82 Module did NOT solve the M/S issue.

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Just saw this thread, and Wow. That is LOT of verbiage for one broken wire. [Agreed: PLEASE add a bit more verbiage to help Jeff (OP) locate that "ONE broken wire".]
You keep saying the wires "seem fine". Not exactly a test.
When you operate the lever, the relevant connector pin should ground. Have you tested that? [We've exhausted a LOT of verbiage & TIS wiring diagrams regarding the White/Green & White/Blue wires that connect the Steptronic Switch, S224a, to the Transmission Control, A7000a, and as the TITLE of the thread indicates M/S engages as it should for 30 to 60 seconds, but THEN reverts to "D" status with lack of manual shifting] If your car's shifter's internal wiring is the same as my wife's, the wire that will produce your symptoms is the grey one. All this nonsense from the manuals & circuit diagrams is hilarious, cause the wires that break aren't even on the diagrams. They're internal to the shifter assembly.
Op stated in post #31 (part of the "verbiage"):

"Thanks for the reply.
Before I posted I did all of that...and again for a second time after I posted.

Shifter off.
Cover off.
3 larger torx out
lift up
3 smaller torx out
pry open right side to free wires
Take tape off all wires
examine wires
nothing kinked, nothing cracked nothing broken....
I even went into the house to get my reading glasses (that I don't really need to read but they help) to make sure i could see perfectly.
I wiggled all the wires with the car running and not running, moving the shifter around to see if moving the wires would make the connection but nothing changed.
I even tried to follow all the wires in every direction well beyond where everyone else has issues. All the videos online and pictures show cracked or broken wires in the exact same area...so I doubt my problem would be somewhere else but anything is possible.
Then i replaced the tape and buttoned it all back up.

That being said, I plan to look again today. I will admit it if I find something on my third attempt."

So perhaps you can help Jeff:
1) Locate this mysterious "Gray wire", by telling him what to look for & where;
2) Suggest how to TEST that wire if no "Break" or Damage is apparent;

Please educate the rest of us with a description of the two components this Gray wire runs between, and its function, and/or link a wiring diagram, video, photo, Bentley Manual page, TIS page which describes its function, etc. ANYTHING that would help to find, examine & repair the fault you refer to would be helpful.

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 1
RDMNB2.50
      10-03-2020, 11:35 PM   #48
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

The left/right DS mode switch grounds connector X1561 pin 4, the white/green wire. The breakage happens in the (grey in my experience) wire that goes from the shifter's internal switch to X1561, coming around the back right of the shifter assembly. To verify the wire is broken, probe pin 4, should show 12V when in full auto mode. Flip the shifter to the left. If the wire is good, the pin will ground and show 0V. If it still shows 12V, either the wire is broken or the switch is broken. Either is technically possible, but it's always the wire. To verify it's the wire and not the switch, probe the wire as far back as possible and check continuity.

Last edited by relative4; 10-03-2020 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #49
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

I'm pretty sure I know which grey wire I need to look more closely at.
I fear it is broken right at the shifter which wouldn't leave anything to repair with.

I only say that because that's the only part of the wire I cant see.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #50
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Your continued use of the word "look" is troubling. You know by now that a visual inspection has little or no value, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #51
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your continued use of the word "look" is troubling. You know by now that a visual inspection has little or no value, right?
'Look' can mean lots of things.
I'm in my car now with my laptop and multimeter

Grey wire tests fine from about 1" from the shifter to the blue harness on the right side.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #52
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

If I probe the grey wire I see 13V. Car running shifter in Drive, shifter to the left, meter shows 0 Volts. back to the right...13 Volts.
Any suggestions for what to check next?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #53
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I probe the grey wire I see 13V. Car running shifter in Drive, shifter to the left, meter shows 0 Volts. back to the right...13 Volts.
Any suggestions for what to check next?
Interesting. And the dashboard still shows D? What about the display next to the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #54
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=relative4;26760957]Interesting. And the dashboard still shows D? What about the display next to the shifter?[/QUOTE

Yes, Dash shows 'D'
Shifter shows M/S
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #55
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Wow, what a noisy thread. Just sat down and read the whole mess and found that little buried mention of the 5673 code, which is where this whole thing should have started.
You unfortunately do not have the standard shifter wire breakage. Your JBE is shutting down DS mode due to a short in your steering wheel, maybe the clock spring. In theory, you could check for shorts between X14272 and X1880, but they're pretty much impossible to get at.
The only thing that's even remotely easy is to replace the clockspring. I never like to advocate firing the parts cannon. But.
Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #56
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wow, what a noisy thread. Just sat down and read the whole mess and found that little buried mention of the 5673 code, which is where this whole thing should have started.
You unfortunately do not have the standard shifter wire breakage. Your JBE is shutting down DS mode due to a short in your steering wheel, maybe the clock spring. In theory, you could check for shorts between X14272 and X1880, but they're pretty much impossible to get at.
The only thing that's even remotely easy is to replace the clockspring. I never like to advocate firing the parts cannon. But.
Sorry.
MORE NOISE!!
Post 19 was first mention of Fault Code 5673, and its importance was discussed at Post 23. Looking at his "Transmission Control" wiring diagram AGAIN, we see that the steering wheel paddles he does NOT have on his 2009 328xi (AFAIK), WOULD be wired in parallel to the Up/Down Shift function of the Steptronic Switch, namely the Blue/Gray & Blue/Yellow wires going from the Steptronic Switch (S224a) to the Transmission Module (A7000a):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lities/gLmdckV

I ASSumed, perhaps incorrectly, that his 328xi (like mine) had NO Paddle Shifters, and ASSumed that the wires shown connected between X14271/22 and the Blue/Gray wire (UPshift), AND between X14271/38 and the Blue/Yellow wire (DOWNshift) were NOT present.

IF he has NO Paddle Shifters, perhaps he can TEST whether a short on the JBE & Steering Switch Center side of the circuit is CAUSING the issue. Simply disconnect the wires at Pins # 22 & #38 at Connector X14271 on the face of the JBE. As I interpret the TIS wiring diagram, the JBE is simply a "passthrough" for those wires on the way to the Steering Switch Center, so NO function of Steptronic should be LOST by disconnecting them. Here is the Installation Location & Connector View for X14271 on 2009 model (JBBF87):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/G8ns32Rq
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CTHz9Js2

Since the Fault Code 5673 is in the EGS Transmission Module rather than the JBE/JBBF Module to which the Steering Switch Center (A72) is principally wired, it seems logical to expect the fault to remain after disconnecting the two wires at the JBE ONLY if the fault was NOT in JBE/A72 part of the circuit.

Finally, I do NOT have a CLEAR interpretation of the Definition BMW Fault Code Lookup provides for 5673:
5673 | EGS: Shift paddles: short circuit to positive | gs1912 | Transmission control

WHAT exactly is "shorted to positive"??? Does that simply mean the Ground Signal from the Steptronic Switch is LOST? Does that mean there is a "short" or fault in the Steptronic Switch itself (S224a)?? As I interpret the Transmission Control schematic, there are 3 separate switches in S224a: (1) Left-Gate = M/S; (2) UPshift; (3) DOWNshift. Each switch, when activated, provides a Ground Signal to the respective X8500 pin: #7, #6, #9.

Keep in mind that the Transmission Module sends a signal to the KOMBI/Instrument Cluster via the PT-CAN & K-CAN Buses that displays Gear Selected on Lower Instrument Cluster Display, while the Gear Indicator Light is hard-wired to the Shift Lever, and Jeff reports the Light by Shift Lever CONTINUES to show M/S when Dash Display reverts to "D" after engine runs ~ 60 seconds. THAT has GOT to be a CLUE.

My SWAG all along is that somehow the ground signal to Pin #7 of Connector X8500 at the transmission is being lost. I don't recall Jeff indicating if he applied a ground at Pin #6 of Connector X6031 in the E-box. My SWAG is if that were done, WITH Yellow/Blue wire removed from X6031 so as NOT to damage the diode or E82, his Instrument Cluster Gear Selected display would RETAIN the M/S indication instead of reverting to "D" after engine runs ~ 60 seconds. Here are Installation Location & Connector View for X6031:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/SL92ADs
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/Ck0MSdZD

Jeff, we're hoping you're able to solve this and teach ALL of us something, and "relative4", thanks for helping Jeff, 'cuz I've never even removed my shift lever grip, boot or any of that.

George
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #57
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Inside the shifter mechanism there are plastic channels that route the wires inside the unit, there are some really tight corners/kinks and after years of going side to side will eventually wear out the very small gauged wires, cause the insulation to rub off or even sever the wire itself. You may have to pull the whole shifter assembly out to get a closer look, but when I had this issue I did so and realized about half of the wires were fraying and two completely severed. Quick and easy wire repair and no issues since.
      10-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #58
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Inside the shifter mechanism there are plastic channels that route the wires inside the unit, there are some really tight corners/kinks and after years of going side to side will eventually wear out the very small gauged wires, cause the insulation to rub off or even sever the wire itself. You may have to pull the whole shifter assembly out to get a closer look, but when I had this issue I did so and realized about half of the wires were fraying and two completely severed. Quick and easy wire repair and no issues since.
Except when tested with a multimeter it was proven that the wires are intact.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #59
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Relative4 and George, thanks for the help.

I will dig into what you both suggested.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #60
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

George, you assumed correctly. No paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #61
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I have both INPA & ISTA. Simply CLEARING the Fault Code (578E) will NOT work; the code remains in EGS Memory. I could find NO way to "Reset the Counter" using INPA, as Adaptation Resets did NOT delete code.

ISTA DID "Reset" counter & clear the code. IIRC, I simply selected the 578E Fault Line in Fault Memory Screen, clicked Calculate Test Plan in lower-right corner of screen, and working through the Flow Chart, was able to Clear or Reset the Counter. Sorry I did NOT do a ScreenPrint of the precise screen at which Reset occurred. I was just experimenting with ISTA in the first week of its use, and wasn't sure what was going to happen, or IF the code would actually be cleared (IT WAS thankfully).

George
I cant seem to get ISTA do do anything.
I thinked I've clicked every button and I cant find anything about reading codes....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #62
BigMoneyWaster420
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90

I’m having the same issue
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #63
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Except when tested with a multimeter it was proven that the wires are intact.
All 8 wires? I would double check with a thorough visual inspection. The insulation on the wires may have cracked and that can lead to issues alone.
      10-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #64
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I thinked I've clicked every button and I cant find anything about reading codes....
If you Downloaded & Installed the ISTA+ version per the MEGA Site linked by BimmerGeeks Downloads Web page, when you open ISTA, the "Symbol Bar" or Task Bar at top of screen has a [?] button. If you click on that, you open a 52-page pdf entitled "ISTA User Manual", which contains steps to access basic functions. The steps to Open ISTA (3.1), Read Out Vehicle Data (3.2), Start Vehicle Test (3.3), and Display Fault Memory (3.4) are explained in pages 11 to 15 of the pdf. You can open/ read that Manual WITHOUT your computer being connected to the vehicle. Just open ISTA and click the [?] button, 3rd Icon from right on top Task Bar. ISTA ScreenPrint examples are attached to the next post so as NOT to ruin text margins here.

NOTE: WITHOUT being connected to your vehicle, you can ALSO read the "Documents" contained in ISTA that are correct for the vehicle whose "Last-7 VIN" you enter in the "Input VIN" box which appears when you click the "Operations" box at opening screen. There are MANY types of documents, including wiring diagrams (SSP), Pinouts (PIB), Functional Descriptions of how a system works (FUB), Installation Locations (EBO), etc. If you have used TIS Online Manual, you will note the SAME documents available there.

Generally here are the steps to Read Vehicle Data, Run Vehicle Test, and Display Fault Codes:
1) Connect Computer to OBD II socket via K+DCAN Cable;
2) Open ISTA on your computer and turn on vehicle Ignition; starting engine is optional;
3) Click "Operations" Menu Button on Left of Top Row;
4) Click "Read Out Vehicle Data" Tab, on 3rd Row;
5) Click "Complete Identification" Button at Bottom-Right of Screen;
6) Wait while operation is completed, and a "Control Unit Tree" is displayed;
7) At Control Unit Tree, click on "Display Fault Memory" Button, Bottom-Right;
8) EACH fault code, Module in which saved, and Code Definition are Displayed;
9) "Calculate Test Plan" button in Bottom-Right of Fault Code List allows you to have "Directed Diagnosis" (Flow Chart) testing of SELECTED Fault code. You have to select/ highlight the code you want to see suggested test plan for.

Once you are able to display Fault Code 578E in the Fault Code List, and still can't figure out (using Calculate Test Plan), HOW to Reset Counter for Trans Fluid, please let us know and someone can hopefully help.

If you STILL can't connect, let us know WHERE you obtained download and WHAT Cable you are using. ALSO, have you tried INPA? (Must have BMW Standard Tools/ INPA installed BEFORE installing ISTA). There's a LOT more you can do with ISTA in addition to just reading Fault Codes: Freeze Frame Data, Status/ Diagnosis Scan, Activate/ Trigger Components, Read Documents related to components or systems, R&R Procedures, Fluids, Torques, etc.

George
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #65
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

ISTA Screens per prior post:
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #66
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I realize the GM6 Oil Wear Fault, 578E is NOT your primary concern, but you might read this thread/post to "Reset" the Tranny Fluid "Counter", and also to get the idea of HOW to use ISTA related to your "Shifter wiring" issue, and Fault 5673 in the EGS Module:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764173

I had lost track of the fact that you had ISTA and/or INPA. I have SOME familiarity with each, although I have never used either to diagnose a "5673" Fault. Either can show you in "Real Time" what the status of the Steptronic Switch signal is, but then your Instrument Cluster "Gear Selected" display does THAT as well.

Perhaps ISTA can provide some clues when you "Display Fault Memory" & then "Calculate Test Plan". If you have any questions about HOW to access those functions in ISTA, please let us know.

George
Appreciate 0