E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HUGE POWER GAINS with 3 stage manifold and mafless tune, 0-60 in mid 5’s

05-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

HUGE POWER GAINS with 3 stage manifold and mafless tune, 0-60 in mid 5’s

I installed the 3 stage manifold recently with lots of thanks and help from E92_William for selling the manifold and guiding through every single step during the process.

My 0-60 is coming from the mid 5’s to low 6’s at the moment. Last few runs without traction control gave me 5.6 and 5.3, Got 5.7 as well all without traction control. With traction control gave me around 6.1-6.2. So far so good. Running mafless tune at the moment with stock maf sensor.

Does it make a difference with mafless tune over the 330i stock tune? Mafless tune has slightly rougher cold starts. Brakes though not feeling very sharp as before idk what can be that problem, but other than that it’s all running well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The no-MAF tune is completely different. the regular 330i tune is basically stock - the no-MAF tune is basically a full tune like you'd get from AA (well, better, probably).

Did you have any runs from "before"? It seems reasonable. I've never personally driven the 328i version, since I have a 330i, but it's based on my personal 330i tune.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The no-MAF tune is completely different. the regular 330i tune is basically stock - the no-MAF tune is basically a full tune like you'd get from AA (well, better, probably).

Did you have any runs from "before"? It seems reasonable. I've never personally driven the 328i version, since I have a 330i, but it's based on my personal 330i tune.
Big ups and appreciation for the work you do. I’m running your no-MAF tune with the 3IM on my 328 and it’s great.

Noob question: Would doing MILVS on a car with the no-MAF tune unlock further power gains, or is it necessary to program/tune specifically to take advantage of the increased intake valve duration? If further tuning is required, is this something you offer? Just curious in case I go down this road. Would rather pay you than a big company…
      05-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Thats awesome ... very respectable times.
There is another member running fbo who is running low 5s constantly
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Big ups and appreciation for the work you do. I’m running your no-MAF tune with the 3IM on my 328 and it’s great.

Noob question: Would doing MILVS on a car with the no-MAF tune unlock further power gains, or is it necessary to program/tune specifically to take advantage of the increased intake valve duration? If further tuning is required, is this something you offer? Just curious in case I go down this road. Would rather pay you than a big company…
You can run it without, but you should really incorporate the additional lift into the tune. Everything on these cars is model based, especially without the MAF. If the model is off, things can get really screwy.

I can do it, although my bandwidth for tunes is pretty limited. I have one guy here I owe a tune to, and I just finished setting up an N52 swap (that took some time, lol). In any case, it's not super difficult for me to do.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      05-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

Wait, so we are actually getting additional 5-10 hp with the NOMAF tune? That incredible then. Thank you so so much for making these tunes for us, I don't know how to thank you! Its like having the full tune without having to pay $300-400! I am not sure how accurate this timer is, but how do others feel I would like to know. What times are you getting?

Also, any transmission tunes for the LCI GM1912 available? What is the latest software for it? Is the ones on Bimmerlabs fully updated or should I use WinKFP comfort mode to flash?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep

Quote:

What times are you getting? How much extra power do you feel? I heard you may have to get further tuning for MILVs, that's what most people are saying. I heard the same for adding catless headers too.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocarfan100 View Post
What times are you getting? How much extra power do you feel? I heard you may have to get further tuning for MILVs, that's what most people are saying. I heard the same for adding catless headers too.
Never done timed runs. Are you using Dragy? I can’t bring myself to spend a bunch of money on a product like that as good as it might be. Guessing anything purely app based that uses phone’s built-in GPS chip is not very accurate, but I could be wrong.

Fairly significant difference I would say. I’m sure it’ll feel a bit quicker when I finish my manual swap.

All I’ve ever heard is that you will realize little to no gain by putting in MILVS with no tune LOL, so apparently we’re talking to very different groups of people. As for headers and exhaust—given how they work—it makes sense that a tune wouldn’t necessarily be required to realize gains.
      05-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #9
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Without a MAF, you must be running rich. What is the AFR?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #10
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Awesome! I haven't tested how fast my car is to 60 after the 3 stage manifold (well I have, just without a timer ) but I'm very glad to see it worked great for you aswell. I barely remember how my car was stock but I know for sure it wasn't anywhere near as fun. I was running the MAFless tune and it felt indeed a bit more powerful than the 330 one but quit running it after I got the headers on since I didn't think the engine would be able to properly adjust fuel trims with o2s that far back and no maf feedback.

There are a few cars I have written down that seem to have come with the GM 6 speed auto and they are contemporary to LCI e9x so maybe if someone is willing to be the guinea pig to try one in their car, would be a great thing for LCI guys. The transmission tune is noticeable and a perfect complement to the 3 stage.
      05-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #11
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Awesome! I haven't tested how fast my car is to 60 after the 3 stage manifold (well I have, just without a timer ) but I'm very glad to see it worked great for you aswell. I barely remember how my car was stock but I know for sure it wasn't anywhere near as fun. I was running the MAFless tune and it felt indeed a bit more powerful than the 330 one but quit running it after I got the headers on since I didn't think the engine would be able to properly adjust fuel trims with o2s that far back and no maf feedback.

There are a few cars I have written down that seem to have come with the GM 6 speed auto and they are contemporary to LCI e9x so maybe if someone is willing to be the guinea pig to try one in their car, would be a great thing for LCI guys. The transmission tune is noticeable and a perfect complement to the 3 stage.
What headers did you install? And how is sound?

Also curious to learn more about the no MAF tune I’m running. Just mainly whether fuel economy would be noticeably worse.
      05-26-2021, 12:25 AM   #12
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post

What headers did you install? And how is sound?

Also curious to learn more about the no MAF tune I'm running. Just mainly whether fuel economy would be noticeably worse.
I had mines made overseas in the country that makes everything these days. With the primary o2 at the merge at the bottom. There's more sound specially when accelerating but otherwise it's not intrusive at all, it just sounds like a nice engine, I like it.

Also there's a weird phenomenon that's been happening since I put headers on and it is that the car sounds like it's turbocharged to an extent lol. When you accelerate in a high gear at low ish rpm you can hear the air being sucked into the engine it's pretty cool, i like to attribute it to maybe more air coming in? I don't think I have an exhaust leak but if I did maybe I need to adjust the connection between the exhaust and headers but otherwise great. I'll record it some day
Attached Images

3PedalJake2613.50
      05-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
FrankMurphy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91

Garage List
2009 E91  [0.00]
Great thread, I'm running AA headers, stage 2 tune and a 3SIM with a 3.73 rear end/6 spd thanks mad1stgen !

Headers and tune were done by eurocustomspr. A totally different vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
Without a MAF, you must be running rich. What is the AFR?
It won't run rich. As somebody else said, headers can muck things up because it needs the O2 feedback to be accurate (although that can be worked around as well). But otherwise, it's using factory tuned fuel tables for the non-MAF mode (which is also developed originally by BMW).

Aside from the tuned up parts, it should run like a stock tune because that's what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
marvinstockman
Major
Rep

Again, what is the AFR? Below 14.7 and you're running rich.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #16
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Lol what? at idle sure. Normal AFR for WOT on na is 12-13:1 and for turbo cars is 10.5-11.5:1.

Shit even for idle 14.2/14.4:1 is pretty average
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
e90yyc2426.50
      05-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #17
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AFR at what RPM and load and engine operating state? What exactly is your point anyway?

The important thing is if your trims are in the +/- 30% range, which they should be unless something is really off.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #18
marvinstockman
Major
Rep

My point is that if you're getting more power, you're probably running rich, especially if you're in open loop. AFR can be recording at various RPM's and throttle positions, even with something as simple as the Torque App Pro.

My final point is that there's no free lunch! Anyway, I'm just asking a question, which hasn't been answered. Do I really care, not really.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #19
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
My point is that if you're getting more power, you're probably running rich,
Actually its the opposite; For tuning if you want more power then you tune it more to the lean side, rich you do for more safety/conservative tune. Timing of course plays a factor into that but still ,Its more drastic for turbo/supercharged but still holds true. And that being said you can also go too lean/too rich on multiple settings.

The bimmerlabs no-maf tune is a oem(actual BMW) tune from europe where they had just the IAT sensor instead of the MAF. I doubt he knows the AFR at each RPM/Load block through the whole map and that being said it will change slightly for every single car/temperature, altitude etc so theres never 100% an answer
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #20
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point is that if you're getting more power, you're probably running rich, especially if you're in open loop. AFR can be recording at various RPM's and throttle positions, even with something as simple as the Torque App Pro.

My final point is that there's no free lunch! Anyway, I'm just asking a question, which hasn't been answered. Do I really care, not really.
yeah, tuning doesn't work that way at all. For one, N52s make less power if you make them rich - not more. below 13.3-13.5:1 AFR (which is the stock 330i WOT fuel curve, BTW), you lose power quickly. BMW actually dumps fuel with the stock tune at high RPM to protect the cats (the tune doesn't eliminate this but it reduces it by about half), which kills top end power. Plus the rest of the tune is nerfed, it's actually pretty easy to increase power, and it's not just AF tuning (actually, almost none of the fuel maps are altered from stock).

this is the stock 330i WOT fuel curve:

The tune basically just flattens that to 13.5 across the board, since I dynod my own car and found it didn't like anything more than that. The 325i/328i run at nearly 15:1 at WOT, do not even open the valves all the way, have gimpy throttle response and reduced torque targets, etc. etc. gee I wonder why the stock N52s are so slow..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #21
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

does the cruise control work in the mafless tune now?

It's been working so well I may as well monkey with it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #22
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think so, I think it was only the 1 series that had a problem and I was never able to replicate it.
Appreciate 0