E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Misfire Issue

09-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #1
Rider77
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Sedan

E90 Misfire Issue

I'm looking for suggestions related to a problem I am having with my 2009 328i E90 sedan, N52K, automatic, 140k miles. The problem is intermittent and has happened twice. After a cold start, about a half mile away from my garage, around 45 MPH and accelerating, it started misfiring, threw three codes (first cylinder misfire, second cylinder misfire and a general misfire) and I limped home. Back home, after reading the codes, I shut the car off and it restarted and ran fine. No hint of a misfire. Before the misfire event, I felt a hesitation and I got the feeling it seems to occur when the transmission is trying to upshift. Does this sound like any kind of common symptom? Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider77 View Post
I'm looking for suggestions related to a problem I am having with my 2009 328i E90 sedan, N52K, automatic, 140k miles. The problem is intermittent and has happened twice. After a cold start, about a half mile away from my garage, around 45 MPH and accelerating, it started misfiring, threw three codes (first cylinder misfire, second cylinder misfire and a general misfire) and I limped home. Back home, after reading the codes, I shut the car off and it restarted and ran fine. No hint of a misfire. Before the misfire event, I felt a hesitation and I got the feeling it seems to occur when the transmission is trying to upshift. Does this sound like any kind of common symptom? Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.
Sounds like you need to do a full tune up.

Start with replacing all your spark plugs and coil packs. Common fix and easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I can't solve your misfire issue, but when you shut the car off the computer allows the cylinders that had been shut off to run again on restart, that is until another bad misfire event.

So that's one mystery solved. Next time it happens, pull over and shut off the car and count to 10, restart and you'll probably be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Hey Welcome looks like your a fairly new member of the forum.

Like others suggested if you have haven't already done so ensure you replace the spark plugs and every coil pack with Original Equipment models only. DO NOT USE AUTOZONE, OREILLY OR NAPA replacements they will cause more issues than they are worth.

Not sure how technical you are but you can definitely do this at home with fairly basic hand tools.

A great place to order your parts is places like FCP Euro, they offer lifetime free replacement on every part you buy from them even wear items like wiper blades. Also they tend to sell mostly Original Equipment parts like Bosch, Valeo, Continental etc which is basically just the BMW part without the BMW branding which saves you a nice bundle.

FYI there are 2 popular "kits" that you can get for E90 ignition the original BOSCH system and a newer and argueably more reliable NGK/Delphi kit:

Originally came with car:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12137594937kt

New "upgraded" ignition kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...12138616153kt3

I would recommend against replacing just 1 coil/spark plug and just do them as a kit based on my first hand experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

If new NGK spark plugs and coils do not solve the problem, then check if the connector of the eccentric shaft sensor is oily inside. If so the sensor has failed and needs to be replaced.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Hey Welcome looks like your a fairly new member of the forum.

Like others suggested if you have haven't already done so ensure you replace the spark plugs and every coil pack with Original Equipment models only. DO NOT USE AUTOZONE, OREILLY OR NAPA replacements they will cause more issues than they are worth.

Not sure how technical you are but you can definitely do this at home with fairly basic hand tools.

A great place to order your parts is places like FCP Euro, they offer lifetime free replacement on every part you buy from them even wear items like wiper blades. Also they tend to sell mostly Original Equipment parts like Bosch, Valeo, Continental etc which is basically just the BMW part without the BMW branding which saves you a nice bundle.

FYI there are 2 popular "kits" that you can get for E90 ignition the original BOSCH system and a newer and argueably more reliable NGK/Delphi kit:

Originally came with car:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12137594937kt

New "upgraded" ignition kit: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...12138616153kt3

I would recommend against replacing just 1 coil/spark plug and just do them as a kit based on my first hand experience.
To be fair, there were 2-3 versions of the Delphi that have come out over the years. After 2016, it's all about the same between those brands, IIRC. Either one would work fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #7
Rider77
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Sedan

Thanks for all the responses. Two years ago, I replaced the eccentric shaft sensor myself, so I have been in the engine. That episode probably led to me being sensor-focused to a fault. After reading the recommendations and thinking back on the conditions, I am going to change the coils and plugs (on the way from FCP Euro, with which I am well-acquainted). The plugs are only about 20k miles old, but while I'm in there, why not go ahead and change them. I've had my "Three Hundred Twenty-Eight" (in the parlance of Q) for about 13 years, since it was new, and have found it generally reliable. There's no other vehicle I'd rather have. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0