E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Liqui molly ATF service kit ? E92 n55

09-22-2020, 01:57 AM   #1
Dullah655
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Liqui moly ATF for 2012 335i ?

Hello, I'm reaching 42,000 miles and I've been looking around debating whether I should change my transmission fluid . I drive a 2012 335i coupe. I know it's recommended to just use oem fluid (lifeguard), but does anyone have any experience with liqui molly fluid ? I'd be glad to hear your opinion!

Also any other recommendations or anything better I should use or know ?
A few people say that I shouldn't change the fluid as it would cause problems? Is this true?

Also while at it, any word on changing the differential fluid and it's intervals ?
Much Thanks

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...24152333907kt1
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Dullah655
Private
Rep

No one can help 🤯
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
jessevondoom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I generally trust Liqui Moly and have had good experience with other products of theirs — generally I feel like FCP Euro only sells products they stand behind so I think that's a good bar.

BMW says 100K intervals for transmission fluid/filter, but ZF recommends 50K intervals. (See: FCP Euro blog.) If it were my car and I was looking at 42K on the odometer I'd probably wait a bit. That said, my own car is due, and I'll be going with this same kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Dullah655
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessevondoom View Post
I generally trust Liqui Moly and have had good experience with other products of theirs — generally I feel like FCP Euro only sells products they stand behind so I think that's a good bar.

BMW says 100K intervals for transmission fluid/filter, but ZF recommends 50K intervals. (See: FCP Euro blog.) If it were my car and I was looking at 42K on the odometer I'd probably wait a bit. That said, my own car is due, and I'll be going with this same kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessevondoom View Post

Thanks for the input . Please post what you think after the fluid change, id highly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
jericho_17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Don't let the people fool you, The fluid change won't cause any issues specially in the mile range you are now. In fact you should do the fluid change to avoid future problems I did mine at 60,000 miles and the transmission was already having some little issues that were corrected after the fluid change.

Just remeber to change the fluid filter (If ZF it means the pan) and the bolts, the fill according the procedure with the temperature ranges and you'll be fine.

In my case I used Febi which was the best i could find in my local market. 20K miles later the transmission is runing smooth as new.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

For the ZF transmission, as with any other part, I used FCP for the pan/filter and MERCON SP for the fluid that I got at my local auto parts store. You'll find tons of discussions on what to use, though. MERCON SP is used in Ford ZF transmissions and is essentially the same as Lifeguard 6/BMW fluid, but red. No issues at all for me in the changes I have done and easy to acquire locally.

That being said, for something that requires changing every 50k miles, getting Lifeguard isn't that big of a cost difference, relatively speaking.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...con-sp-141875/
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

ZF actually recommends every 60-75k. For such long interval ZF fluid is not that expensive. ZF is excellent fluid based on Borate Esters not mineral base. Most BMW owners that do regular transmissions fluid refresh us ZF, Redline D6 or Valvoline Maxlife. When I had X5 with ZF, I used ZF. Make sure you change filter/pan.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Dullah655
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
ZF actually recommends every 60-75k. For such long interval ZF fluid is not that expensive. ZF is excellent fluid based on Borate Esters not mineral base. Most BMW owners that do regular transmissions fluid refresh us ZF, Redline D6 or Valvoline Maxlife. When I had X5 with ZF, I used ZF. Make sure you change filter/pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post

My local carX is going a deal for 150$ but they'll be using valvoline max life while just the kit from fcp euro is more expensive. Should I just go with valvoline ? I really want the best of the best for my car , I still plan on owning it the next 3 years .
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Liqui molly ATF service kit ? E92 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullah655 View Post
My local carX is going a deal for 150$ but they'll be using valvoline max life while just the kit from fcp euro is more expensive. Should I just go with valvoline ? I really want the best of the best for my car , I still plan on owning it the next 3 years .
Did that include the pan/filter and bolts also? Doesn't sound like it.

A new filter pan & bolts plus 7 quarts of MERCON SP would run you about $130.

Some people run maxlife with no problems, I prefer to stay as close to OE spec as possible and given the price difference being negligible, I'd go with the spec fluids for ZF transmissions personally.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #10
Dullah655
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Quote:

Some people run maxlife with no problems, I prefer to stay as close to OE spec as possible and given the price difference being negligible, I'd go with the spec fluids for ZF transmissions personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Quote:

I would do the same but my issue is that I will be taking it to a shop and nowadays most shops use a flush machine that already has the fluid inside. Also you might be right I need to check about the pan , I was wondering about that as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:12 AM   #11
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would do the same but my issue is that I will be taking it to a shop and nowadays most shops use a flush machine that already has the fluid inside. Also you might be right I need to check about the pan , I was wondering about that as well.
I thought you were DIYing it based on your original post. I hadn't heard of car-x before... just looked them up. I would never have this kind of work done there. The fluid change procedure from TIS is rather specific. If you can't do the work yourself, you'd be much better off using an independent BMW repair shop. I'm assuming they aren't changing the pan, just flushing and filling it and given the need to change the fluid at specific temps, etc., they would likely be doing it improperly.
Appreciate 2