E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Helix DSP not working

08-31-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Helix DSP not working

Hello - long time member but haven't been on the site for eons!

My system just stopped putting out sound all of a sudden. My system is, stock hifi head unit to a Helix DSP to 2 JL Audio amps to a set of Morel components in the doors and Kicker woofers underseats. System has been working flawlessly for many years and then one day nothing.

Have finally had the time to diagnose and have narrowed it down to the DSP. The DSP is getting audio signal to the incoming RCA's and 12V power to the power in and remote in. No audio signal coming out of the DSP and no remote-out 12V power to the amps.

I opened up the DSP thinking there might be an internal fuse, but cannot find one.

Anyone run across something like this before with the Helix units?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
E92x7z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330

if you are receiving an optical signal, try the hi low level of the front speakers and then the RCA to Helih ?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Which DSP, exactly ? What color is the status light on it when you have everything turned on ?

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

6spd: thanks for the question, it is the Helix DSP. One of the early units, I've had it for over 5 years, purchased new. There are no status lights coming on at all. It does have 12v at both the input and the remote in. It's like a fuse is blown inside the unit.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
6spd: thanks for the question, it is the Helix DSP. One of the early units, I've had it for over 5 years, purchased new. There are no status lights coming on at all. It does have 12v at both the input and the remote in. It's like a fuse is blown inside the unit.
That's definitely pretty odd. Have you tried connecting the PC to it to maybe wake it up ?

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

I have not. Sent it to MSC in AZ. They too said it odd it won't power up, they tried some tricks but to no avail, so off to Germany it goes. I'll report back when I hear something.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I have not. Sent it to MSC in AZ. They too said it odd it won't power up, they tried some tricks but to no avail, so off to Germany it goes. I'll report back when I hear something.
Damn, yea, never seen that happen before and I went through a Ton of them ! lol

Appreciate 0