E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR(?) woes - lumpy pull away when cold - N47 E90

09-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Scoob
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 320d

EGR(?) woes - lumpy pull away when cold - N47 E90

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with my 2009 E90 320d N47 for the past several months where I will drive around the corner to a traffic light and when I go to pull away when it goes green, acceleration starts climbing and then quickly drops, repeat over and over for 5-20 seconds whilst I've got my foot on the accelerator, and then suddenly everything is back to normal and I go flying forwards. This doesn't happen every single time, maybe a few times a week and usually within the first couple of minutes of the journey. Once it's happened it won't happen again for the remainder of the journey.

I scanned my car and got a whole bunch of codes back (20+)!, I made a note of them and cleared them down because there were codes for lights I'd fixed etc.

Since then I have replaced the battery, and subsequently the MAF with a genuine BOSCH replacement as that was the first thing to try to fix the issue, it didn't.

I cleared the codes again, and these have popped up again that led me to believe it's an EGR issue:
3FF0 Air-mass flow sensor (I've seen EGR problems can show as MAF issues so I'm assuming that is what this is)
40E9 Exhaust-gas recirculation controller, position control
4B82 Exhaust-gas recirculation-rate control, control deviation. Exhaust-gas recirculation rate too low/positive control deviation.
4B81 EGR Rate Control - Control Deviation (This had come up before, cleared when I replaced MAF and didn't show up in last scan)

Other codes:
A6D1 Auxiliary water pump fault
A6CF AUC sensor fault
4A6E Glow Plug, Cylinder 1, Activation
48B4 Brake vacuum sensor, plausibility
4AFA Vacuum sensor, brake booster(brake vacuum sensor), signal
4AFB Vacuum sensor, brake booster(brake vacuum sensor), signal

Today I went to go and clean the EGR valve after seeing numerous threads with similar issues, but I couldn't find the thing I wanted to clean! I'm not sure if I'm being blind, or it's been blanked? There are components that look like part of the EGR system, but no big metal valve block.

Any help would be much appreciated, I don't mind getting my hands dirty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
Scoob
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 320d

Typical, a friend found a video of my EGR valve type:

I tried getting this off earlier but it wouldn't budge. Going to give it another go in the coming days, off to buy some brake cleaner and cleaning it in place. Those hose clamps look, difficult.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
Staub
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 N47

Did you get to the bottom of this issue? Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
eacan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318d

Updates? Have the same issues..
Appreciate 0