E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > New FRM Question

11-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
New FRM Question

Ok. So, I installed a used FRM 2 module tonight replacing my old FRM 1.

I followed these steps:

1) Remove FRM, install FRM2.

2) Use WinKFP to program the module, make sure to enter your VIN-number before programming.

3) Switch to NCS-EXPERT. Get your Vehicle Order from the CAS module (as we are unsure of what the FRM2 module contains.

4) Write the Vehicle Order to module "FRM" using job "FA_WRITE"

5) Go back to the main menu (or restart ncs-expert) and get the vehicle order from the "NFRM" module. Make sure NFRM returns YOUR VIN and YOUR VO. We want the VIN (FG) and VO (FA) to be the same in both CAS and NFRM.

6) You now need to do the trick described by 4711 a couple of posts back, i.e. change the production date in the VO to at least #0307. If you don't do this, ncs-expert will not list NFRM (=FRM2) in the "Process ECU"-list and you won't be able to code it. Change the VO using the "Enter FA" option - remove your production date and enter #0307 (meaning march 2007).

7) Now click "Process ECU" and select "NFRM"

So, on step 5. When I go back and restart NCS Expert, I can and hit F1 then F3, hit e89 & then chose the ECU to read I see

CAS
FRM
NFRM

Both CAS & FRM have the same VO & Vin.

The NFRM has the old vin from the other car it came from.

However, when I go to code, I can select NFRM because I changed the date in the CAS & then wrote it into the NFRM.

I don't get why I can see NFRM in the first set & it's not changed....

Please Advise.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Update -

I flashed the FRM 2 module again in WinKFP and updated it with V65 datens & the added new vin.

Then went to NCS Expert

Chose expert mode or "factory coding" if you got your software from Bimmergeeks.

I changed the production date to #0307 in the CAS and deleted the old production date. Hit ok

Then did FA Write to the CAS

In other posts, they have you change the date as one of the last things to do. I did this first. Then I was able to see the NFRM and FA write it essentially changing the VO of the NFRM to the CAS and having the new production date of #03/07 done in one fell swoop.

The following link below was the most helpful that I found.

http://bmwxserie.blogspot.com/2014/0...orial.html?m=1

I have a pre-03/07 car with a production date of 01/07. So, I had to do it this way.

Anyway, it worked !!!

Just in case this link expires at some point :

Follow these steps AFTER you update the CAS with the new production date of #03/07 & any other particulars like AHL or Xeon Headlights or What ever....

Now you have to pass that information to "NFRM"

1.open NCS expert

2.File-Load profile

3.select EXPERMODE

4.press F1

5.press F3

6.select E89<for E90>

7.select CAS

8.F6 back

9.now you will be able to see your (FG) VIN # at top and (FA) VO

10.press F4<CHOOSE ECU>

11.select NFRM

12.after that select F2 chenge Job

13 choose FA_WRITE

14.F3 executive job wait a little bit and it will say courin beenet or coded ended something like that! now your VO are the same CAS and NFRM

NOW to change VIN

I did it the same way as CAS but instead of choose FA_WRITE i Choose FG_SCHREIBEN

1.open NCS expert

2.File-Load profile

3.select EXPERMODE

4.press F1

5.press F3

6.select E89<for E90>

7.select CAS

8.F6 back

9.now you will be able to see your (FG) VIN # at top and (FA) VO

10.press F4<CHOOSE ECU>

11.select NFRM

12.after that select F2 chenge Job FG_SCHREIBEN then F3 execute Job

now to make sure everything is good Go back to the main menu (or restart ncs-expert) and get the vehicle order from the "NFRM" module. Make sure NFRM returns YOUR VIN and YOUR VO. We want the VIN (FG) and VO (FA) to be the same in both CAS and NFRM. To do this same steps load profile expertmode F1,F3 select chassis and select "NFRM" NOT CAS!!! and it should be your VIN and VO the same as CAS.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi,
Apology for posting here about something else than FRM, but it seems related to VO update.
As per my other post I have taken all parts from a wrecked E92 M3, and put into an E90 body shell, including wiring harness and all modules. It is running great, but rear windows are still not moving up/down. Last week I replaced the JBBF to one that came from an E90, and I have physically checked that it has the 2 extra relays for rear windows in it. I have used ProTool to change some of the coding parameters related to 4-door and rear windows in the JBBF, CAS and FRM, but still no luck in getting the rear windows to operate.

For my next attempt I am thinking correcting the VO, and code from the updated VO.
My VO currently shows vehicle type W KG92. (which is for E92 M3 LCI) I have looked at options in the E89AT.000 file, and found that an E90 M3 LCI should have vehicle type W PM92.

Has anyone changed vehicle type in the VO before, for example when doing engine conversions? Am I on the right track with this, or are there more changes I need to make?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth1 View Post
Hi,
Apology for posting here about something else than FRM, but it seems related to VO update.
As per my other post I have taken all parts from a wrecked E92 M3, and put into an E90 body shell, including wiring harness and all modules. It is running great, but rear windows are still not moving up/down. Last week I replaced the JBBF to one that came from an E90, and I have physically checked that it has the 2 extra relays for rear windows in it. I have used ProTool to change some of the coding parameters related to 4-door and rear windows in the JBBF, CAS and FRM, but still no luck in getting the rear windows to operate.

For my next attempt I am thinking correcting the VO, and code from the updated VO.
My VO currently shows vehicle type W KG92. (which is for E92 M3 LCI) I have looked at options in the E89AT.000 file, and found that an E90 M3 LCI should have vehicle type W PM92.

Has anyone changed vehicle type in the VO before, for example when doing engine conversions? Am I on the right track with this, or are there more changes I need to make?

Cheers,
Your best option would be to read the VO from your CAS, then immediately do a FA_WRITE to your FRM.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
perth1
Private
Rep

Hi Joe,
Thanks for quick reply.
Currently my VO (read via ProTool) is displaying:
Chassis: E92
Typecode: KG92
Factory date: 0312,
and so on..

If I understand you right, I will first update the VO to show Typecode: PM92 (for E90),
then I will do FA_WRITE to FRM,
then I will do FA_WRITE to JBBF, (since a lot of the rear window handling is done by JBBF).

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hi Joe,
Thanks for quick reply.
Currently my VO (read via ProTool) is displaying:
Chassis: E92
Typecode: KG92
Factory date: 0312,
and so on..

If I understand you right, I will first update the VO to show Typecode: PM92 (for E90),
then I will do FA_WRITE to FRM,
then I will do FA_WRITE to JBBF, (since a lot of the rear window handling is done by JBBF).

Cheers,
I'm not sure if the ProTool can do what needs to be done, but I do know NCS Expert can. All of my steps/advice is assuming you're using NCS.

You should not have to manually modify the VO, as your current/correct VO is stored in CAS. So when you read the CAS module, it will load your correct VO. Then, all you have to do is do a FA_WRITE to the FRM and default code it.

The JBBF does not store the VO, so all you'll have to do is default code it after your write the VO to the FRM.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
perth1
Private
Rep

Thank you for reply.
Yes I will be using NCS.
In my case I have retrofitted an entire M3 drivetrain into my body shell, and the CAS with the E92 VO came along with all the parts and all the modules. (My body shell is 7 years older than the drivetrain). - Therefore yes I believe I will need to do something with my 'new' VO to tell it that it is now a 4-door chassis (E90-based), in order for certain modules to now operate the rear windows via the wiring for rear doors that I have patched into the E92 wiring harness before installing it in the E90 shell.
Apology if my description was confusing.

Perhaps another route is to leave the VO as is, and find ZB# from a same year E90, and force the JBBF and FRM to take this software? Also I could compare the trace files in more detail between E92 and same year E90.

I have already played with some coding settings that obviously have to do with rear windows, such as in the JBBF:
FENSTER HEBER_ELEKTRISCH, from not active to aktiv,
In CAS: FH_HINTEN (rear power windows) from not active to aktiv,
In FRM: VIER_TUERER from not active to aktiv.
This brought up an error code for missing relays in the JBBF. Then I replaced the JBBF to the E90 LCI type that isn't missing the relays for the rear windows, hoping that would make my rear windows move.
All error codes have gone away, but rear windows are still not working, so perhaps I have forgot some coding settings, or simply it needs different ZB# software in some of the modules to handle the rear windows. Obviously both E93 and E87 also have rear electric windows, so it's only the E92 that doesn't have them.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Did you put your vin on all new parts (modules) and update them using winKFP?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Thank you for reply.
Yes I will be using NCS.
In my case I have retrofitted an entire M3 drivetrain into my body shell, and the CAS with the E92 VO came along with all the parts and all the modules. (My body shell is 7 years older than the drivetrain). - Therefore yes I believe I will need to do something with my 'new' VO to tell it that it is now a 4-door chassis (E90-based), in order for certain modules to now operate the rear windows via the wiring for rear doors that I have patched into the E92 wiring harness before installing it in the E90 shell.
Apology if my description was confusing.

Perhaps another route is to leave the VO as is, and find ZB# from a same year E90, and force the JBBF and FRM to take this software? Also I could compare the trace files in more detail between E92 and same year E90.

I have already played with some coding settings that obviously have to do with rear windows, such as in the JBBF:
FENSTER HEBER_ELEKTRISCH, from not active to aktiv,
In CAS: FH_HINTEN (rear power windows) from not active to aktiv,
In FRM: VIER_TUERER from not active to aktiv.
This brought up an error code for missing relays in the JBBF. Then I replaced the JBBF to the E90 LCI type that isn't missing the relays for the rear windows, hoping that would make my rear windows move.
All error codes have gone away, but rear windows are still not working, so perhaps I have forgot some coding settings, or simply it needs different ZB# software in some of the modules to handle the rear windows. Obviously both E93 and E87 also have rear electric windows, so it's only the E92 that doesn't have them.

Cheers,
You may want to try that. Change the model code in the VO to a E90 model specific to the exact model and region you have/are in, you may need to change the date too depending on the module version and what your VO date currently is. Now when you use NCS Expert and it reads the VO, it should populate the ECU tree with the modules in E90 status which will allow you to default code as a E90.

Case in point, my 335is DCT currently runs M3 DCT software, M3 GWS, KOMBI, and DSC modules. The only way to get that DSC module recognized and functioning is to spoof the VO with a M3 model identifier code in the VO otherwise it won't be recognized by NCS and it cannot be coded in, valve calibration won't work, and steering angle can't be set. The mismatch between the VO and module hardware/software shuts it down. What I've done, is since the VO is stored in both the CAS and NFRM, is create two different VO's. The one in the CAS is for most of the factory modules, coding, etc. since it's used the most. The VO saved in the NFRM has the M3 model code for the times I want to do specific coding/programming on the M3 modules I have.

This may work for you, may not but worth a shot and it's easily reversible.
      12-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
perth1
Private
Rep

Hi Guys,
Your responses are much appreciated.
In response to Mweisdorfer; No, for now I have kept the VIN in the modules from the E92 parts donor that I bought. (I have aligned a few replacement modules to have this VIN). My DSC was crushed so I got a second hand one of same type, the sunroof module came from another LCI wreck, the JBBF came from another E90 LCI wreck. In the future I may change all modules to my real body shell VIN.

I have noticed the long VIN contains the model code as the 4th to 7th digit; WBSKG92nnn, followed by the short serial number. Hopefully that isn't the same digits that tells the VO what the model code in the VO shall be.

LMB335is, thank you for describing how you have changed your VO model code. That was how I was thinking trying next, but hopefully I will not have hardware mismatches that shuts it down, since my engine, trans, DSC, combi etc. is all the matching S65 M3 stuff.

'PM92' is the model code for E90 M3 LCI, and it is from the same time period as my build date and hardware, (but production of E90 stopped a few months before the build date of my E92 parts, so perhaps I may have to adjust that).

From reading various forum posts, it seems another alternative is to select a known software ZB# for a particular module.
For example my FRM_70 is currently listed as having software ZB# 9263798 with date 12.06.2012. Is there a way to find out if this ZB# only fits the E92 variant? Would I need to look at a same year E90 LCI to see if that uses a different ZB#, or does one of the files in the background of the NCS program or daten files describe which ZB# alternatives fits each module hardware and chassis type?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Guys,
Your responses are much appreciated.
In response to Mweisdorfer; No, for now I have kept the VIN in the modules from the E92 parts donor that I bought. (I have aligned a few replacement modules to have this VIN). My DSC was crushed so I got a second hand one of same type, the sunroof module came from another LCI wreck, the JBBF came from another E90 LCI wreck. In the future I may change all modules to my real body shell VIN.

I have noticed the long VIN contains the model code as the 4th to 7th digit; WBSKG92nnn, followed by the short serial number. Hopefully that isn't the same digits that tells the VO what the model code in the VO shall be.

LMB335is, thank you for describing how you have changed your VO model code. That was how I was thinking trying next, but hopefully I will not have hardware mismatches that shuts it down, since my engine, trans, DSC, combi etc. is all the matching S65 M3 stuff.

'PM92' is the model code for E90 M3 LCI, and it is from the same time period as my build date and hardware, (but production of E90 stopped a few months before the build date of my E92 parts, so perhaps I may have to adjust that).

From reading various forum posts, it seems another alternative is to select a known software ZB# for a particular module.
For example my FRM_70 is currently listed as having software ZB# 9263798 with date 12.06.2012. Is there a way to find out if this ZB# only fits the E92 variant? Would I need to look at a same year E90 LCI to see if that uses a different ZB#, or does one of the files in the background of the NCS program or daten files describe which ZB# alternatives fits each module hardware and chassis type?

Cheers,
I know you can find the ZB # of a module in INPA. You have to use that for WinKFP to write your Vin & update a module.

I also know that certain FRM modules are for certain ranges of cars. I don't think it's broken down by coupe vs sedan.

The MAX Brose FRM 3 module seems to be one that will fit almost any BMW e90 series.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839792

I don't know how a module would function properly if it didnt have the same vin as listed in the CAS.
Appreciate 0