E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > HELP(no communication with DME) car cranks but wont start

04-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #23
maddox710
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrad View Post
there is no JB4 in this car.
i have a pdf of basic diagram for engine start
I was definitely considering if the CPS was bad but if that were the case i would still be able to read the DME and would not get error codes FOR
fuel pump, transmission, ABS,
Did anything become of this, I have 2acc still stopping the car dead in tracks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #24
alfonsec
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones80 View Post
My motor was swapped out, new motor cranks, but will not turn on. Plugged in ISTA software and found that the DME is not getting power. Ran through all of the fuses and found no issues. I purchased a used DME and had it coded to my VIN and synched to the CAS and keyfob, plugged in the new DME, but still not getting any power. Run through all of the connections and all appears to be in good order, but we're still not getting any power or signal to the DME. Any thoughts?
Did you manage to resolve the issue? If so, what was the fix. I have the exact same thing occurring after swapping out my motor. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 01:37 AM   #25
Ehjax
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Having the same issue after a DME tune.

Anyone have any followup information?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #26
Dkhan22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had a very similar issue. Not exactly sure what the problem was but the mechanic stated it was due to some wiring from DME to ignition.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #27
Si Ario
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90N46

Had similar Issue, at the beginning it was B57554 IC on printed board DME which managed to change due to corroded (water damaged) and found ground trigger for DME Relay gone
it was alive for short period after change the IC but had same issue after few days, change DME with used one ( working condition as seller statement ), do the "hand shaking" with CAS still no luck (ground trigger to DME relay still gone)
check wiring from DME to DME relay housing found good.
Battery good 12v ,power supply ( + )to DME found good as well to DME Relay
need advice if DME/CAS matching process not success is it possible to crank or nothing happen?? since now it's crank but not start and found ground to DME relay not present
is it DME the culprit since INPA cannot read DME or something else?
and any one know Wake up terminal 15 value when the start/stop button engine pressed for comparison
thanks and highly appreciated for advice

Last edited by Si Ario; 03-29-2018 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #28
alfonsec
Rep

Any update as to a solution or possible troubleshooting?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #29
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Ario View Post
Had similar Issue, at the beginning it was B57554 IC on printed board DME which managed to change due to corroded (water damaged) and found ground trigger for DME Relay gone
it was alive for short period after change the IC but had same issue after few days, change DME with used one ( working condition as seller statement ), do the "hand shaking" with CAS still no luck (ground trigger to DME relay still gone)
check wiring from DME to DME relay housing found good.
Battery good 12v ,power supply ( + )to DME found good as well to DME Relay
need advice if DME/CAS matching process not success is it possible to crank or nothing happen?? since now it's crank but not start and found ground to DME relay not present
is it DME the culprit since INPA cannot read DME or something else?
and any one know Wake up terminal 15 value when the start/stop button engine pressed for comparison
thanks and highly appreciated for advice
it all depends what DME is it.

Terminal 15 basicly means +12 on WUP line.

if you have system with EWS3 then you need to match ISN between CAS and DME(hard part), and make synchronization of rolling code.(easy part)

if you have EWS4, then You need to match SK in CAS and DME in order to make it start.

What exactly problem do you have?
what codes in DME?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #30
tlavoie87
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

need advice having the same issue.. 2007 328xi car was running fine just had a ledge wear problem so i dropped a used low mileage 2009 N52 in now i have no communication with the DME ive checked all the wiring, fuses, ect. also changed the IBS same result. also tried a spare DME still no communication. im stuck not sure what to do next again the car turns over but does not start and my autel maxisys pro does not read dme reads all other modues.. Help PLEASE!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #31
Si Ario
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90N46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
it all depends what DME is it.

Terminal 15 basicly means +12 on WUP line.

if you have system with EWS3 then you need to match ISN between CAS and DME(hard part), and make synchronization of rolling code.(easy part)

if you have EWS4, then You need to match SK in CAS and DME in order to make it start.

What exactly problem do you have?
what codes in DME?
Thanks,I have no Ground to DME Relay from DME x60002 ( pin 14) ,wake up signal already sent to DME ( pin 1)
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/q5RkHQa is there any possibility from other module
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
alfonsec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
need advice having the same issue.. 2007 328xi car was running fine just had a ledge wear problem so i dropped a used low mileage 2009 N52 in now i have no communication with the DME ive checked all the wiring, fuses, ect. also changed the IBS same result. also tried a spare DME still no communication. im stuck not sure what to do next again the car turns over but does not start and my autel maxisys pro does not read dme reads all other modues.. Help PLEASE!!!
Any update?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #33
alfonsec
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #34
CptGudentite
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Slightly not stock

Have very similar situation, working on it currently and going to post to forums soon. Im about to dive back into it, check other wires in and around the dme box, obd port, check to see if jb4 can get access to codes even though nothing else can, eventually ill get around to messing with modules/CAN etc. Short version below... and when I get it cranked I will let yall know what worked for me.

Pre-LCI/Early 07 335i Auto ZF Trans Slightly NOT stock
  • new built motor installed after car sat for 1 year no battery
  • no start
  • no dme communication
  • no fuel injecting into engine
  • fuel pump constantly priming/circulating gas when ignition is on
  • jb4 completely removed
  • new fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator
  • checked all glovebox & DME box fuses multiple times
  • swapped DME for backup 2nd cloned DME
  • checked/bypassed blue dme relay and 30g fuse box relay
  • checked all engine sensors are installed and proper plugs connected to engine
  • checked main ground strap & power wire to/from starter & alternator
  • battery voltage ~13 when off of charger but charger is left on charger during all work
  • disconnected IBS sensors to battery

Mods
  • Engine - Forged Rods/Pistons/Ported Heads
  • Hybrid Stage 2+ Turbos
  • Index 12 Injectors
  • NEW Stage 2+ Fuel Pump
  • Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV
  • Big Aftermarket Intercooler
  • Relocated Inlet/Outles
  • Catless Downpipes
  • Borla Sport Exhaust
  • Catch Can
  • PCV Valve
  • JB4 BEF w/MHD (currently removed)

Last edited by CptGudentite; 01-11-2019 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #35
kamperx2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Non-Running E90

Similar Issues- Thought I'd Chime In

I bought a non-running '11 E90 with a water damaged DME and corroded wiring harness that is now giving me these same issues, no DME communication to the cloned replacement and cleaned harness/contacts. I'm presently in the process of tracing the pertinent leads to and from the DME and making sure they're not burnt or shorted out. I've been testing for continuity at each junction, but if this isn't a sound method please straighten me out.

I have determined that I'm not getting a signal from the DME to the relay (tested-functional) that would send power the smaller of the two wiring harness connectors (connections X000001, 2, and 3). Would someone care to chime in if I can run a direct ground wire to the DME relay to see if that awakens it?

I successfully built and am using two older server power supplies that are sending out the required juice so that the DME should respond, link below:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1262137

It's been a steep learning curve but I've learned a tremendous amount of car electronics, programming, and diagnostics. Fortunately, I'm not immediately dependent on getting this thing running.

I hope to post a resolution once it's found, otherwise I'd sure appreciate any tips that could lead me on the right path.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #36
jimbo1912
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D 07

hi just got my first BMW its a 2007 320d car was working great wife left the lights on battier went flat tried charging it BMW batter not chargen got a of the shelf batter same as one came out registered it with Carly then done fault say no faults found but it would not connect to dme /ddm dont no what one so am stuck where do i go from here the car is cranking over but no start plz help
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #37
jimbo1912
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D 07

hi new here i am getting crank on my 320d 2007 but no communication with dde where do i start am going to check fuses and relay car working fine until battery died
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #38
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre LCI 320D M-Sport

Re-align the DDE and EWS

How you do it?

1- Launch inpa
2- Select the engine
3- Choose the model of the engine (in your case
DDE6 = 318d, 320d, 325d, 330d, 335d ( 03/2005 - 09/2007 )
DDE7 = 318d, 320d, 325d, 330d, 335d ( 09/2007 - )

4- Select option: activate (usually F5 but check in your inpa)
5- Select option: EWS
6- Select option: reset ----> in progress ----> click ok
7- Bak to the main menu, ie, back, back, back, and close the INPA
8- Open the inpa and check the errors. That errors should have gone by now.
9- Turn the ignition off, remove the obd connector and start your car.
      01-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #39
2008-335xi-N54-E92
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 530i e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrad View Post
car was purchased as a not able to start vehicle
But it cranked. im the idiot and thought it was going to be something easy......
so here's the story ive looked high and low, everywhere online and spent enough $$ on this thing.
its an 08 535i but has the same DME (MSD81) the car cranks but doesnt start. i get the car scanned and it cannot communicate with DME,but can comm with all other computers just not the DME. i Send the DME out to get it checked, to verify the unit is bad and if it can be repaired. end result, unit is no good cannot be repaired. so i send the car to the stealership, purchase a brand new DME unit. they attempt to put in the DME and program it to the car and they cannot communicate with it as well.
now before all this happened. i checked all fuses and relays everything is good to make sure it wasn't anything stupid.
next after speaking with a BMW tech they said "if you can get the DME programmed outside of the car it should start" so i send off the new DME with the old along with EWS and key to get it matched with the car.
I get everything back and im just ready for this car to start. its been 3 months at this point. put a new battery in just to make sure everything has sufficient power and still no start and no comm with DME
if someone can point me to the slightest direction ill buy you beer or give alot of appreciation!

the lights that come up on the Idrive system and dash
CEL, ABS, low brake fluid, fuel pump inop, transmission Malfunction, TPM sensor

resetting,

Hi guys I had same exact problem and I found the problem and fix it. My 2008 BMW 335xi e92 crank but won稚 start I found the problem
And got it fix it was electrical. If any one is having problems like this let me
Know and I値l help out. Since this is an old thread I値l wait for any ones respond
      01-27-2020, 10:39 PM   #40
2008-335xi-N54-E92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1912 View Post
hi new here i am getting crank on my 320d 2007 but no communication with dde where do i start am going to check fuses and relay car working fine until battery died
Hi guys I had same exact problem and I found the problem and fix it. My 2008 BMW 335xi e92 crank but won稚 start I found the problem
And got it fix it was electrical. If any one is having problems like this let me
Know and I値l help out. Since this is an old thread I値l wait for any ones respond
      02-06-2020, 04:30 AM   #41
M3T
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-335xi-N54-E92 View Post
What did you do?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #42
2008-335xi-N54-E92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3T View Post
Quote:
Hi guys I had same exact problem and I found the problem and fix it. My 2008 BMW 335xi e92 crank but won't start I found the problem
Know and I'll help out. Since this is an old thread I'll wait for any ones respond
What did you do?
There's two things that caused mine to not fire up.

1) the relay that supply the fuse to the fuel pump

2) the fuse to the fuel pump was not getting power because of the relay so I jumped power from the nearest empty fuse slot with a simple small speaker wire to the fuel pump fuse which was not getting power from the relay.

By doing that I was able to find out it was the relay the big black square one on the far right of the fuse box behind the glove box.

I got power to the fuel pump fuse and it then powered the relay as well by jumping power from the empty fuse slot.

Then I use a light tester to rest the relay slot and that is by jumping power to the fuel pump fuse I put a tester to the relay slot and when it lights up I kept the light tester there and unhook the jumping wire to the fuel pump fuse which then turns off the light tester since I disconnect the power to that. In return that tells me the relay is bad.

Keep in mind that if the relay that powers the fuel pump is bad it will not power part of the DME that controls the spark to the coils. These play a part in three different part of the stupid engine.

Soooooo to better explain this is check your 30 amp fuse which are the green fuse on top row don't matter which one just check all the green fuse number 30 amp fuse with your key ignition to on all the way to the right and it doesn't have power then by jumping power from any empty or any fuse that has power to that dead 30 amp fuse it will then power your fuel pump and you should hear the water pump from the engine spin as well. If that does happen it means your DME is NOT getting power from that one stupid relay.

What year and model is your car since the fuse box is not the same on certain models, mine is the E92 XI coupe
      04-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #43
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
There's two things that caused mine to not fire up.
1) the relay that supply the fuse to the fuel pump
2) the fuse to the fuel pump was not getting power because of the relay so I jumped power from the nearest empty fuse slot with a simple small speaker wire to the fuel pump fuse which was not getting power from the relay...
There are Wiring Diagrams for every BMW model available at "newtis.info"
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

For instance, for the 2008 335xi E92, here are circuits for (1) Fuel Pump, (2) Fuse F70 which powers the Fuel Pump Module (which in turn powers & activates the Pump), and (3) Junction Box, showing the Terminal 30G Relay (IO1068) which is essentially the "Accessory Relay".
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...module/vFnKcli
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...0-fuse/uUrJe6A
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ule/1VnXpW4emV

That Terminal 30G Relay, IO1068 supplies power to ~ 20 different fuses on the JB Fuse Panel, of which F70 is ONLY ONE. If you look at the Symbol for the 20A fuse F70 on the Fuel Pump circuit, you see "30G" above the symbol.
That means fuse F70 is powered by Terminal 30G. If the Terminal 30G Relay, IO1068, is NOT activated to power Terminal 30G, NONE of the ~20 fuses powered by Terminal 30G receive power. If you tested for Voltage at those fuse sockets with ignition ON, you would get NO voltage at any of the 20 sockets.

Even if you "hotwire" the Pump Module, there is NO power to the other 19 fuses, and a LOT of stuff is NOT going to operate, including the DME. Fuse F4, powered by Terminal 30G, also must be powered in order for the DME to turn on the DME Relay (K6300) and power essential DME Sensors (~ 5 additional fuses powered by K6300 DME Main Relay). Without the DME Relay powered, you will get Crank but NO Fire.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fault/vMifIQL

The system is ONLY "Stupid" if YOU don't understand it.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #44
Ironslide
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
There are Wiring Diagrams for every BMW model available at "newtis.info"
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

For instance, for the 2008 335xi E92, here are circuits for (1) Fuel Pump, (2) Fuse F70 which powers the Fuel Pump Module (which in turn powers & activates the Pump), and (3) Junction Box, showing the Terminal 30G Relay (IO1068) which is essentially the "Accessory Relay".
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...module/vFnKcli
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...0-fuse/uUrJe6A
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ule/1VnXpW4emV

That Terminal 30G Relay, IO1068 supplies power to ~ 20 different fuses on the JB Fuse Panel, of which F70 is ONLY ONE. If you look at the Symbol for the 20A fuse F70 on the Fuel Pump circuit, you see "30G" above the symbol.
That means fuse F70 is powered by Terminal 30G. If the Terminal 30G Relay, IO1068, is NOT activated to power Terminal 30G, NONE of the ~20 fuses powered by Terminal 30G receive power. If you tested for Voltage at those fuse sockets with ignition ON, you would get NO voltage at any of the 20 sockets.

Even if you "hotwire" the Pump Module, there is NO power to the other 19 fuses, and a LOT of stuff is NOT going to operate, including the DME. Fuse F4, powered by Terminal 30G, also must be powered in order for the DME to turn on the DME Relay (K6300) and power essential DME Sensors (~ 5 additional fuses powered by K6300 DME Main Relay). Without the DME Relay powered, you will get Crank but NO Fire.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fault/vMifIQL

The system is ONLY "Stupid" if YOU don't understand it.

George
I have a similar but different issue. Car has no power unless cables are actively jumping the car with a max voltage of 11.5V. Absolutely zero electrical response if the jumper cables are removed as if the battery drops to 0V immediately. I have to run out and get a new multimeter so I cannot directly test any fuses or the battery directly yet. Car was last ran two months ago with no issues.

As soon as the jumper cables are applied, the waterpump starts running at fullspeed. This continues until the jumper cables are removed.

The fault codes are:
2AB4 - DME: DME, internal fault: RAM checksum
2ACB - DME: DME master relay, activation
2ACC - DME: DME: master relay, shift delay
2C73 - DME: Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter
2C74 - DME: Oxygen sensor 2 after catalytic converter: signal
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE
2D1D - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 1, voltage supply
2D1E - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 2, voltage supply
2D1F - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position potentiometer, signal
2DEC - DME: Power management, battery
2E7C - BSD data bus Communications fault
2F4A - DME: Interface EWS-DME
2F63 - DME: Brake-light switch, plausibility
30BB - DME: Injectors 4,5,6 or DME, internal fault

All other posts I have found detail some of these codes and point to either MOSFETs fried, fried DME, bad battery, bad battery cable, bad relay (either in ebox or fuse box). Injectors were done a year ago to latest index and would be a symptom rather than the cause.

Not sure the best path forward. Looking for some advice. New battery, new relays, test fuses(F1-5? all?), new DME?

Last edited by Ironslide; 09-19-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0