E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Difference between Manual/Automatic Driveshafts

09-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Difference between Manual/Automatic Driveshafts

What are the exactly?
Based on RealOEM, we can see that the Manual driveshaft is slightly longer than the automatic, but at which side? I’ve been comparing pictures side by side and it only seems like the rear half is any different; the front halves look the same.
Furthermore, are the flange sizes at the transmission side for mounting the Guibo the same?
      09-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I'm assuming you are asking this gathering info for the m3 LSD swap and surprised that you don't know this already as you sounded very confident in the other thread on the subject. Anyhow, the difference is on the transmission side. MT is shorter transmission thus shaft being longer, but both AT and MT drive shafts will mount on either MT or AT transmission. The guibo is the same. If you put M transmission output flange you can use M guibo but drive shaft will need to be reworked regardless. Is good to measure twice and cut once bit there are not differences in the measurements from car to car. Is just misconception coming from people doing the measuring differently. From the center bearing to the front diff mounts on M and non M, on AT and MT, is all the same distance.
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks Feuer, I appreciate the help

The last few swaps I helped with were not my own and so I did not do any sourcing of the parts; on top of all previous owners using their own driveshafts as sacrificial lambs for the flange. I’ll be the first that I know of that will be attempting to preserve my original shaft by cutting up a donor instead. I’ve been working on BMWs for a long while now but my knowledge on the N54 platform is still fairly new. People saying that measurements and driveshaft lengths vary never really made sense and so I chalked it up to user error and was going to measure my shaft and draw a skematic to take to the driveline shop regardless

That is good to know however; BMW only had 1 part number for the Guibo and so I assumed the flanges between Manual and Automatic were the same sizes but it never hurts to be sure. Regardless, I ordered a Manual front-half this morning to be absolutely safe but was just looking for piece of mind
      11-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
brandonpersaud335.64
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07' 335 e93

Inquiry

@ Feuer
So I've an issue. My stock diff is messed up, so I ordered a new one from ecs tuning. However, I didn't read the listing properly and ordered the 3.46 diff for the manual trans. Now, shipping to Guyana (South America) is pricey and takes time, but..) Before I ship the diff back, would the manual driveshaft work on my car with the auto tranny? Because the diff is slightly longer to compensate for the length issue, I figured I'd just change the shafts but I wanted to get another person's opinion first but the reps at ecs couldn't advise me properly. But if it won't work, then I'll just ship it back and get the correct diff.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpersaud335.64 View Post
@ Feuer
So I've an issue. My stock diff is messed up, so I ordered a new one from ecs tuning. However, I didn't read the listing properly and ordered the 3.46 diff for the manual trans. Now, shipping to Guyana (South America) is pricey and takes time, but..) Before I ship the diff back, would the manual driveshaft work on my car with the auto tranny? Because the diff is slightly longer to compensate for the length issue, I figured I'd just change the shafts but I wanted to get another person's opinion first but the reps at ecs couldn't advise me properly. But if it won't work, then I'll just ship it back and get the correct diff.
I don’t know what car you have. 3.08 is MT. 3.46 is AT. They are interchangeable.
Appreciate 0