E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help with Info -- over my head

11-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #23
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Is this guy from ZNM related to Ghassan I wonder. Both are scamming n54 owners.
Not sure, but it sounds like he is running some Ponzi scheme or something. The amount of people that have almost identical matching stories is staggering. He is really into people for thousands. He is a virus to this community.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Reputable seems to be thrown around way to easily these days .
Appreciate 2
MysticRob572.50
      11-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #25
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
To be honest, I trust myself as a novice DIY'er more than I trust a self-proclaimed expert. At least I know what corners were cut, if any at all.
Appreciate 2
gde06116.00
      11-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #26
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

following ..
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #27
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milfriez View Post
I paid up front for all parts and service
Quote:
Guys just an update. I have been holding my tongue due to trying to get things to work out, but it seems that the cat is out of the bag already.

The shop is ZNM Performance in Pompton Lakes, NJ. The owner is Matt Malave. This dude apparently is a hack and scam artist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
Too true.

So OP, have you driven up there to get the car yet?
Did you pay cash for everything? If not, get the car back, get the charges refunded, and move on.
If you paid cash, get the car anyway, then work out the legalities before this clown sets fire to his place and runs for it.
      11-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #28
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Is this guy from ZNM related to Ghassan I wonder. Both are scamming n54 owners.
Do tell...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Do tell...
I worked on 335i that was shipped to Ghassan twice for supposed engine rebuild. Instead it received used engine twice in a row. 1st used engine installed from Ghassan was from a manual car and he had the AT coolant lines capped off. 2nd engine had skipped timing that I replaced with LKQ sourced engine that is currently running in the 335i. In between this jobs they managed to fry the DME, put another AT that slips, didn't install anything under the car: plastic belly tray, V brace on front subframe, square reinforcement plate on the middle, V brace for rear subframe, no strut bar, no cawl and air filter, left engine mount wasn't fasted with the nut on top, radio didn't work...I spoke with him few times. I send photos to show him bent valves and nasty intake something that should be spotless since the car was shipped and covered zero miles. VCG leaking. OFHG leaking. Lied customer that they will install index #12 injectors for additional fee. Charged but engine had index #9. Same with the HPFP. Charged for new and left old HPFP on. Lied customer that turbos are bad and sell new. Those "bad" turbos I reinstall on another engine that trully needed turbos. Said that had to modify the DP, like cut and re-weld, I checked and that was a lie too. Complete scam. Need to tell more?
Appreciate 3
Jklad421.00
Torgus3781.50
      11-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #30
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

OMG
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #31
Basedtiger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Damm that sucks, I wish I would have known that you were dealing with ZNM Performance from the get-go. There is a video and numerous posts that claim the shop is a scam. Get a lawyer.
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
Jklad421.00
      12-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #32
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I worked on 335i that was shipped to Ghassan twice for supposed engine rebuild. Instead it received used engine twice in a row.
Just read they're making some major breakthroughs on a stand-alone for this platform (disabling DI and going straight PI, etc.).

It's a shame they're making strides in innovation, but facilitate dirtbag maneuvers on the backend.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #33
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just read they're making some major breakthroughs on a stand-alone for this platform (disabling DI and going straight PI, etc.).

It's a shame they're making strides in innovation, but facilitate dirtbag maneuvers on the backend.
Ghassan makes strides in innovation? Impossible! I have seen the shop and people working there. Is miserable.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #34
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 335xi

OP Here. Car still at shop. Have not had the chance to make 6.5 hour drive back out to get the car. Guys from both boards have banded together and are working out plans to bring charges.

I have a friend heading over to pick up their car, and hopefully will get me a visual on mine. At this point, i've cut my losses, but am silently working behind the scenes. All initial money has been recouped aside from losses from rental vehicle, loss of use of car, and having to purchase a secondary car, since my DD was tied up at his shop.

Most recent rumor is that car will be done next week. But we all know how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Similar situation as Milfriez here, i got my car out.....and man. Imagine worst case scenario...and yeah thats how i picked up my car almost 13 months later. Feel free to PM me for details.

Will be seeking legal counsel as well hopefully, so if anybody knows a good auto attorney in NJ, please please please PM me.

Quote:
Guys just an update. I have been holding my tongue due to trying to get things to work out, but it seems that the cat is out of the bag already.

The shop is ZNM Performance in Pompton Lakes, NJ. The owner is Matt Malave. This dude apparently is a hack and scam artist. I found his company on here when he was doing group buy sales, but there apparently is a slew of people that have been frauded by him.

See here

https://bmw.***********.com/threads/...lakes-nj.4243/ (spuulsstreets)

and here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHwchy12Lo

So it seems I am not the first and most likely will not be the last. Put this dude on blast! Make him famous!! AVOID ZNM PERFORMANCE AT ALL COSTS.

I'm hoping our group from here and spuulstreeet can come together and resolve this. I am already in contact with legal counsel in NJ, and will keep everyone updated.
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #36
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Just so we're all on the same page, the consensus is to never use ZNM PERFORMANCE for any work on your car, correct? No mixed reviews. Just no.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #37
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

What about that hasn't been made clear already? lol
Appreciate 3
MysticRob572.50
feuer4275.50
      12-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #38
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
Just so we're all on the same page, the consensus is to never use ZNM PERFORMANCE for any work on your car, correct? No mixed reviews. Just no.
Quote:
Ah crap, how did I miss that? I just dropped mine off to have the oil changed and they told me the car was stolen and parted out. They sounded like they were sorry about it so I'll be sure to bring them my other Bimmer to work on to cheer them up.
feuer4275.50
maxnix205.00
      12-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #39
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
That was said in jest...lol

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #40
cortez08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Matt Malave ripped me for 9k and left my car a complete disaster. My story is the original post on the other forum. Stay far away from ZNM as Matt is on a scamming crime spree right now. The amount of money Matt has scammed is staggering.
Appreciate 2
Lshaw250.50
maxnix205.00
      12-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #41
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

So sorry to the OP. I'm late to the party, but seriously have to ask... how common is it to be shipping these cars 400+ miles to get work like this done?

Honestly, as others have said, I am always more comfortable doing a job myself that is likely to have complications -- the order of the day for mechanics who are in demand is to price stuff high for complications that comes up during the job. You are a captive customer with the car in pieces. I find this true not just for mechanic work, but any kind of trade... there is a labour shortage and the cost of a lawyer when they are in the wrong is high because they rarely take a contract case on a contingency -- they are too busy sucking on quick-settle tort cases against insured defendants like parasites. For the OP, only if you could maybe get a class action -- then the lawyer starts dreaming of pile of money from court approved fees, and they can win the case easily by getting you all free car washes or something like that -- you might get representation without having to put up a retainer. Otherwise, the lawyer who takes this case without a retainer is probably just like the shop in the 1st place -- don't trust them to do the job right.

Before I would ship my recently acquired car out of state, I'd rent a garage and do the work myself... LOL. In fact, the way I figure it, dropping the insurance for 6 months while it sits in my driveway might even cover an OK storage unit to work in for 1-2 months. LOL. Lawyer and insurance companies... add value in theory, in practice, blood suckers.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway, good luck getting your car back. There are a slew of things to worry about... not the least of which is what would happen if the place is seized by creditors (real, or captive creditors as part of a fraudulent lending ring), bankruptcy, etc. Any parts you paid for but lying around uninstalled are going to be lost, at least without a trip to court. You might even end up with a surprise lien on your car for phantom parts installed but not paid for... you are at the mercy of the bankruptcy trustee and the "business records" unless you go and hire your own lawyer. In fact, if you get a bunch of people together and spring for a lawyer, you could very well find he jumps under bankruptcy. Bite the bullet, get a $50 rental car, drive the 600 miles, get your car back ASAP! After you have your car and parts back (or discover you won't be getting them), then you can weight your legal options.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #42
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gde061 View Post
So sorry to the OP. I'm late to the party, but seriously have to ask... how common is it to be shipping these cars 400+ miles to get work like this done?

Honestly, as others have said, I am always more comfortable doing a job myself that is likely to have complications -- the order of the day for mechanics who are in demand is to price stuff high for complications that comes up during the job. You are a captive customer with the car in pieces. I find this true not just for mechanic work, but any kind of trade... there is a labour shortage and the cost of a lawyer when they are in the wrong is high because they rarely take a contract case on a contingency -- they are too busy sucking on quick-settle tort cases against insured defendants like parasites. For the OP, only if you could maybe get a class action -- then the lawyer starts dreaming of pile of money from court approved fees, and they can win the case easily by getting you all free car washes or something like that -- you might get representation without having to put up a retainer. Otherwise, the lawyer who takes this case without a retainer is probably just like the shop in the 1st place -- don't trust them to do the job right.

Before I would ship my recently acquired car out of state, I'd rent a garage and do the work myself... LOL. In fact, the way I figure it, dropping the insurance for 6 months while it sits in my driveway might even cover an OK storage unit to work in for 1-2 months. LOL. Lawyer and insurance companies... add value in theory, in practice, blood suckers.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway, good luck getting your car back. There are a slew of things to worry about... not the least of which is what would happen if the place is seized by creditors (real, or captive creditors as part of a fraudulent lending ring), bankruptcy, etc. Any parts you paid for but lying around uninstalled are going to be lost, at least without a trip to court. You might even end up with a surprise lien on your car for phantom parts installed but not paid for... you are at the mercy of the bankruptcy trustee and the "business records" unless you go and hire your own lawyer. In fact, if you get a bunch of people together and spring for a lawyer, you could very well find he jumps under bankruptcy. Bite the bullet, get a $50 rental car, drive the 600 miles, get your car back ASAP! After you have your car and parts back (or discover you won't be getting them), then you can weight your legal options.

ZNM offered a groupbuy early last year which attracted plenty of customers. Free turbo install with purchase of turbos through them. Id imagine thats how he baited many of his customers.

No doubt doing your own work is always best, i wish i had the time and space to as do MANY of us. however I live in NYC now for work and there is zero chance i am getting any work done on the side streets here LOL.

Customers of ZNM who have been scammed should very much looking into pursuing in court. The tricky question is in what aspect to pursue. There are limits to small claims; special civil (limited at 15k); and obviously a full lawsuit is possible which consumer fraud would be the case presented. NJ consumer fraud is no joking matter and retributions of the case wins in favor of the plaintiff is quite substantial. Each has its pros and cons obviosly and all is decided by the court. However if you have all evidence, receipts, second opinions, proof and such, one should be very confident standing in a court room with against ZNM.
***however in any lawsuit case, making sure you know the merchant you are pursing is very important, in aspect of $$collections***

PM me if you need details on my situation. I will be writing my full review of ZNM very shortly. My work orders, pictures of my car before and after and especially our conversations.
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)

Last edited by Lshaw; 01-02-2019 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      02-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #43
mjg0915
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 Space Gray Met

Quote:
I worked on 335i that was shipped to Ghassan twice for supposed engine rebuild. Instead it received used engine twice in a row. 1st used engine installed from Ghassan was from a manual car and he had the AT coolant lines capped off. 2nd engine had skipped timing that I replaced with LKQ sourced engine that is currently running in the 335i. In between this jobs they managed to fry the DME, put another AT that slips, didn't install anything under the car: plastic belly tray, V brace on front subframe, square reinforcement plate on the middle, V brace for rear subframe, no strut bar, no cawl and air filter, left engine mount wasn't fasted with the nut on top, radio didn't work...I spoke with him few times. I send photos to show him bent valves and nasty intake something that should be spotless since the car was shipped and covered zero miles. VCG leaking. OFHG leaking. Lied customer that they will install index #12 injectors for additional fee. Charged but engine had index #9. Same with the HPFP. Charged for new and left old HPFP on. Lied customer that turbos are bad and sell new. Those "bad" turbos I reinstall on another engine that trully needed turbos. Said that had to modify the DP, like cut and re-weld, I checked and that was a lie too. Complete scam. Need to tell more?
This sounds almost identical to my experience with Ghassan.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #44
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg0915 View Post
This sounds almost identical to my experience with Ghassan.
I'm sorry, and unfortunately, there are so many of you. I'm glad word is finally out. I have been claiming this for years. Nobody was listening.
Appreciate 0