E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What is needed to put a rwd transmission in 335xi

08-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
Hayden_takara
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi e92

What is needed to put a rwd transmission in 335xi

Hi first post on here so I'm not entirely sure I'm doing this right. Anyways I want to go stage 2 turbos on my 335 with a power goal of 600whp, right now I'm running xdelete so I don't put any strain on the front diff/axles at my current fbo/ tuned status. I've read that the transfer case also tends to break at higher torque numbers, so eventually I'd like to swap to a rwd transmission that way I'm not putting power through a transfer case. The plan would be to delete the front driveshaft and leave the front diff and axles in place just not connected to anything, and swap in either a dct or 6mt. Obviously I could just sell and buy a rwd car, but I've already put a lot of money into the interior and exterior so that's not really an option. Would a setup like this be possible? Since the chassis' are the same between the rwd and awd models I'd assume that the rwd tranny would bolt right up with a rwd crossmember? anyone who knows of a setup similar to this please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden_takara View Post
Hi first post on here so I'm not entirely sure I'm doing this right. Anyways I want to go stage 2 turbos on my 335 with a power goal of 600whp, right now I'm running xdelete so I don't put any strain on the front diff/axles at my current fbo/ tuned status. I've read that the transfer case also tends to break at higher torque numbers, so eventually I'd like to swap to a rwd transmission that way I'm not putting power through a transfer case. The plan would be to delete the front driveshaft and leave the front diff and axles in place just not connected to anything, and swap in either a dct or 6mt. Obviously I could just sell and buy a rwd car, but I've already put a lot of money into the interior and exterior so that's not really an option. Would a setup like this be possible? Since the chassis' are the same between the rwd and awd models I'd assume that the rwd tranny would bolt right up with a rwd crossmember? anyone who knows of a setup similar to this please let me know.
I don't really have the answers but a couple questions.
We see this "600whp" goal a lot by new members. Do you think this is a realistic goal? I'm sure you are aware this number is not possible with pump gas no matter the turbos
The x drive/transfer case can handle about 550hp before it starts to slip. (Not sure on longevity at this rate) but if you are currently stage 2+ fbo, the transfer case and x drive can easily handle that.... I have been for years.
If it was me.. I would aim for the 500whp sweet spot on Etune and keep the xdrive system for traction...
just a couple things to think about.
      08-24-2022, 01:37 AM   #3
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
We see this "600whp" goal a lot by new members. Do you think this is a realistic goal? I'm sure you are aware this number is not possible with pump gas no matter the turbos
The x drive/transfer case can handle about 550hp before it starts to slip. (Not sure on longevity at this rate) but if you are currently stage 2+ fbo, the transfer case and x drive can easily handle that.... I have been for years.
If it was me.. I would aim for the 500whp sweet spot on Etune and keep the xdrive system for traction...
That's just not true. My car is making 900+ ftlbs (38 psi at 4500 rpm). The 6at is the weak point. The TC, front diff, and front axles have not been a problem. Car is not lowered and traps 140 on the street. More in it if I open up the exhaust, but I like the car quiet, so not doing that.

As you make more power these cars lose traction easily. I don't get why anyone would want to disable the xdrive system.
      08-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #4
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt View Post
Quote:
That's just not true. My car is making 900+ ftlbs (38 psi at 4500 rpm). The 6at is the weak point. The TC, front diff, and front axles have not been a problem. Car is not lowered and traps 140 on the street. More in it if I open up the exhaust, but I like the car quiet, so not doing that.

As you make more power these cars lose traction easily. I don't get why anyone would want to disable the xdrive system.
Quote:
Quote:

I would have to concur on your statement nyt. X drive for the win all day!! I want to see you run 7-8 second 1/4 mile passes let's fucking go!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:

That's impressive if you're putting that much through the x drive with no slippage!
From what Iv seen online is usually around 600 or so that the clutch packs can start to slip.
Any mods to the drive train to handle that much!?
      08-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
I would have to concur on your statement nyt. X drive for the win all day!! I want to see you run 7-8 second 1/4 mile passes let's fucking go!!
lol, not a chance to get into the 8s. Mid to high 9s are doable once I replace the driveshaft which is on the way out. Running 10.7 with a 2.0 60' since I'm just babying the launches.
      08-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's impressive if you're putting that much through the x drive with no slippage!
From what Iv seen online is usually around 600 or so that the clutch packs can start to slip.
Any mods to the drive train to handle that much!?
drivetrain is stock aside from built trans and rear diff brace. There's significant weight transfer to the rear. I haven't heard of tc clutch slippage being an issue for anyone, though. I need to get the car off the ground and investigate whatever's up with the driveshaft, but I haven't really had the time to do it.
      08-24-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just do the whole conversion.
Why leave the axles in place?

Rwd subframe
Front rwd suspension
Rwd driveshaft? Not sure if they are different lengths.
Transmission
Custom transmission mount bracket.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah not sure why anyone would do such a thing... x-drive's are in incredible demand, I always wanted AWD from the git go and sssso glad I went with it. I have great traction even around the 650 whp area. Wouldn't even consider a downgrade to 2wd.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC_kL3RvFSGv9QmTVt6787gg
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Just do the whole conversion.
Why leave the axles in place?

Rwd subframe
Front rwd suspension
Rwd driveshaft? Not sure if they are different lengths.
Transmission
Custom transmission mount bracket.
DSC system and the hurdles that come with it going from awd to rwd are not to be taken lightly. I had my transmission bracket fabbed in an afternoon and hours and hours and hours figuring out how to make the DSC system happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #11
kulakv
Registered
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 335 MT

Did a awd at to rwd mt conversion last year.
Can help with coding and everything
Appreciate 0