E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 Front End Transformation

03-12-2024, 12:57 PM   #1
SonicBlueStage2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

E90 Front End Transformation

I've always been bothered by the batwing shape of the E90 headlights. To my eye it's a strange choice that makes the front end of the car look like a bulbous pig snout. I much prefer the clean graphics of the E92 headlights and have looked into the E92 to E90 front end swap, but that job requires custom fenders and a widened E92 hood that lacks the character lines in the center of the E90 LCI hood. This doesn't even mention all of the E92 parts I would need to source from the junkyard like headlights.

Tacky, stick-on covers for the eyebrows are available on Ebay and I could open the headlight up to paint match the eyebrows themselves, but both of these options would leave the strange parting line between the hood and the front bumper.

As an alternative, I want to look into welding extensions onto the metal fenders and hood of the E90 (the E92 uses plastic fenders) to cover the eyebrows of the headlights and cut off the top portion of the angel eyes like the E92 DTM car.

I photoshopped the rendering below to get an idea of what it would look like. I think it's much more aggressive and clean. If I move forward with this I'll post results in the same thread. Pardon the bad paint job on the license plate bracket. The plastic adhesion promoter ate away at the plastic and created a rough texture that shows through the finish. I need to sand that and repaint it.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 02:17 AM   #2
chrisnz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

You want to make the lights look like a Acura tax?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:54 AM   #3
gaalforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Looks cool to me, curious to see how it turns out as i feel the same way about the headlight shape vs the e92.
      04-02-2024, 07:06 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

That’s def an interesting idea and it doesn’t look bad but execution will be really hard.

Why not do an e90 m3 front, which uses the smaller e92 headlights?
Appreciate 0