E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > blueh88 Build Thread!

10-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #45
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

So to update, I have changed the red boost pipe. Obviously no real change and can still see some oil seepage?? I must not have tightened the jubilee clip up properly...will check.
More significant though, I have ordered a vortex style breather to see if that reduces the amount of oil passing through...I stand corrected from a few posts above where I stated whoever said it was an empty box is wrong...I have now realised that the red diaphragm is on ALL types of breathers on the "air" side. The changes are on the other side where it is in fact empty on the E90s. Hence going to a vortex insert type...
Lets see!!

On a lighter and less boring subject, I have just ordered the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit, all associated mounts and all front M3 control arms. Excited!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #46
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got round to installing front spacers! Looking a little more aggressive but the tyres aren't doing it any favours. Those are next to changed out for 235 upfront and 265 at rear as opposed to 225/255.
Name:  tixhr8342746804131083229.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  255.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #47
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Does your rear parking sensor beeps still work with xtron unit installed?

Last edited by Nel2014; 10-25-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #48
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
Does your rear parking sensor verbs still work with xtron unit installed?
Yes, parking sensors still work. Not sure what you mean by "verbs"? guessing it is a typo...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #49
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Yes, parking sensors still work. Not sure what you mean by "verbs"? guessing it is a typo...
hes on the wacky backy,,he means "herbs" ha ha
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #50
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
hes on the wacky backy,,he means "herbs" ha ha
Hahaha probably!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #51
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Lol i mean beeps even! God damn word correction on my s9
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #52
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
Lol i mean beeps even! God damn word correction on my s9
LOL I knew it must have been some stupid autocorrect.
But yes, beeps still work albeit have a slightly higher pitched tone which isn't as pleasant but I'm used to it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #53
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

So... intake manifold got cleaned out today along with new gaskets/seals and replaced the swirl flap blanks (old ones looked to be leaking). Wasn't too bad of a job except for car not starting afterwards but after I got it hooked up to another car, it fired up with a cough and a big cloud of black smoke. May need a new battery....anyway, all is well and it drives much smoother now and there is an obvious difference. Hoping mpg increases too!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #54
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, new suspension bits have arrived! so need to get this changed over at next opportunity.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #55
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

New suspension bits fitted! Can't really make judgement on anything just yet as the alignment is waaay out. Booked in tomorrow for a full 4 wheel setup on a hunter machine.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #56
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
New suspension bits fitted! Can't really make judgement on anything just yet as the alignment is waaay out. Booked in tomorrow for a full 4 wheel setup on a hunter machine.
just this minute had my tracking done afer front springs/control arms/radius arms and drop links,,also discs and pads,,the steering wheel was very slightly pointing to the left,,if i centered it the car would go right slightly,,all fixed now from local place i go for tyre fitting etc,,had to put a bit of heat on the track rod ends then adjusted as was quite a bit out,,£15 for that,,not bad and car is driving great again and that awful annoying rattle and wheel shake when braking is gone..also impressed with the zimmerman discs and yellowstuff pads,,no fade at all..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #57
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Right, alignment done! So now running nice and straight. Before, it was tugging on the steering wheel each time I went over any sort of bump. Wasn't a nice feeling.

First impression of the suspension set up is positive - steering is nice and tight. Feels ever so slightly heavier but not in a bad way and most obviously, the control over bumps/speed bumps is much better. Turn in seems to be more responsive too. I guess I will be able to judge better once I have put more, varying miles on but so far so good!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #58
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
just this minute had my tracking done afer front springs/control arms/radius arms and drop links,,also discs and pads,,the steering wheel was very slightly pointing to the left,,if i centered it the car would go right slightly,,all fixed now from local place i go for tyre fitting etc,,had to put a bit of heat on the track rod ends then adjusted as was quite a bit out,,£15 for that,,not bad and car is driving great again and that awful annoying rattle and wheel shake when braking is gone..also impressed with the zimmerman discs and yellowstuff pads,,no fade at all..
Good to hear! I've had the yellowstuff before and really enjoyed them...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #59
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Just a little update:
As per another thread started by me, I think I have found the source(s) of my main oil leak. Vacuum pump and the turbo!
Before this, I was contemplating whether to sell up and buy a new car but I could not think of anything which would fulfil my needs as much as this without looking at some serious machines and hence spending silly amounts. Instead, I've decided to fix the leaks and instead of replacing/refurbishing the standard turbo, I will be upgrading to a hybrid along with a Wagner front mount and remap again.
On a separate note, I have also longed for a Quaife for a couple of years now so...car is booked in with Birds after the vac pump leak is fixed next week! Once done, then I will be doing the hybrid/Wagner.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #60
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Just a little update:
As per another thread started by me, I think I have found the source(s) of my main oil leak. Vacuum pump and the turbo!
Before this, I was contemplating whether to sell up and buy a new car but I could not think of anything which would fulfil my needs as much as this without looking at some serious machines and hence spending silly amounts. Instead, I've decided to fix the leaks and instead of replacing/refurbishing the standard turbo, I will be upgrading to a hybrid along with a Wagner front mount and remap again.
On a separate note, I have also longed for a Quaife for a couple of years now so...car is booked in with Birds after the vac pump leak is fixed next week! Once done, then I will be doing the hybrid/Wagner.
Wow so glad everything's getting sorted for you! And man what an absolute beast it will be after the mods! So jealous and I'm almost certain the N57 already has the 6HP28 doesn't it? A chap on YouTube (BMW Power) pushed 457HP on that transmission before writing it off. The Quaife is such a good investment as well, I've heard some great reviews. Cant wait to see the figures once it's all done
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #61
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Wow so glad everything's getting sorted for you! And man what an absolute beast it will be after the mods! So jealous and I'm almost certain the N57 already has the 6HP28 doesn't it? A chap on YouTube (BMW Power) pushed 457HP on that transmission before writing it off. The Quaife is such a good investment as well, I've heard some great reviews. Cant wait to see the figures once it's all done
Cheers man! The N57 does but I have an M57 which has the 6HP26...I'm hoping it should be fine...if not, then that is another project haha. To be honest, I know this car is now turning into a bit of a money pit...but to me it is a hobby. So I am not concerned about car value etc. I am just interested in what I can get out of it and to continually "tinker". So if I need to look into the gearbox and potentially upgrade it one way or another, then I will do.

Yep, I've seen that - crazy! That would be great...

Yeah will definitely report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #62
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cheers man! The N57 does but I have an M57 which has the 6HP26...I'm hoping it should be fine...if not, then that is another project haha. To be honest, I know this car is now turning into a bit of a money pit...but to me it is a hobby. So I am not concerned about car value etc. I am just interested in what I can get out of it and to continually "tinker". So if I need to look into the gearbox and potentially upgrade it one way or another, then I will do.

Yep, I've seen that - crazy! That would be great...

Yeah will definitely report back.
Hi Mate!

Ahh that's cool so we have the same engines! I personally don't believe you'll have much issues with the transmission. For a start, I've spoke to quite a few people who have tuned their 6hp26 transmission and it's always the same reply that its coping fine (I'd imagine like anything, the extra power may shorten the life) but never heard if a failed transmission. And yeah, I get where your coming from it would be so easy to drop the 330D in for something already running the desired power like a 335D but it's also fun to bring out this beasts potential! Not to mention, like "BMW Power" said, why have 2 turbos when you can have one big one and one less turbo to worry about Haha.

Mines very close to going back on the road now, I'm going to remove the rear driveshafts and replace those stupid reluctor rings and attempt the sand and re-spray the section of the axle to prevent the rust from occurring again. I'm also planning on buying the latest set of Diagnostic tools but was so gutted to hear Ista+ dropped programming for the E series, you have to use ISTA P for that now

Hows yours coming along? Cant wait to see the performance of yours with everything done. Have you flashed the TCU with xHPFlashtool? I'm servicing the transmission in a few days and might consider sticking a stage 2 on
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #63
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi Mate!

Ahh that's cool so we have the same engines! I personally don't believe you'll have much issues with the transmission. For a start, I've spoke to quite a few people who have tuned their 6hp26 transmission and it's always the same reply that its coping fine (I'd imagine like anything, the extra power may shorten the life) but never heard if a failed transmission. And yeah, I get where your coming from it would be so easy to drop the 330D in for something already running the desired power like a 335D but it's also fun to bring out this beasts potential! Not to mention, like "BMW Power" said, why have 2 turbos when you can have one big one and one less turbo to worry about Haha.

Mines very close to going back on the road now, I'm going to remove the rear driveshafts and replace those stupid reluctor rings and attempt the sand and re-spray the section of the axle to prevent the rust from occurring again. I'm also planning on buying the latest set of Diagnostic tools but was so gutted to hear Ista+ dropped programming for the E series, you have to use ISTA P for that now

Hows yours coming along? Cant wait to see the performance of yours with everything done. Have you flashed the TCU with xHPFlashtool? I'm servicing the transmission in a few days and might consider sticking a stage 2 on
put some pics of drive shafts and reluctor rings please
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #64
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
put some pics of drive shafts and reluctor rings please
No problem rasa! Just got everything back together on the engine, once bled I'll lift the rear and start on the shafts, I hope they pop out Haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:07 AM   #65
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

some have a pickup magnet inside the wheel bearing and some have rings on the outside of shaft,,thats what ive read anyhow,,so i want to see yours,,,i prob need a new ring/rings as i get a traction light going round tight roundabouts on a right turn,,only time it does it..althought he odd occasion pulling away after being parked on a curb etc,,doesnt happen often enough for me to get it done urgently,,ben happening for 2 years
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #66
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
some have a pickup magnet inside the wheel bearing and some have rings on the outside of shaft,,thats what ive read anyhow,,so i want to see yours,,,i prob need a new ring/rings as i get a traction light going round tight roundabouts on a right turn,,only time it does it..althought he odd occasion pulling away after being parked on a curb etc,,doesnt happen often enough for me to get it done urgently,,ben happening for 2 years
Mine has the rings, I pulled the abs sensor out a while back and could see the rusty ring lol. It took longer than expected to finish the engine off last night and still get blue smoke it hasn't been driven for 15 months but it's still the fact it's a tint of blue.

https://youtu.be/GL4C2hwmI-I
Appreciate 0