E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suggestions on steering noise when cold

02-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
NoCopNoStop
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Suggestions on steering noise when cold

I have a 2007 335i 4dr and have been noticing a strange grinding sound when going slowly and turning sharply. This only happens when the weather is below 40 degrees. The sound is metal on metal, its definitely mechanical. My steering fluid is full and when I had it checked out before the mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with it.

Today it was about 35 degrees. I noticed the noise in the morning and swung by the mechanic at lunch just so he could hear it. After listening to it for a few minutes, he said it sounds like it may be the rack. I understand this can be a pretty pricey repair and just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same issue with their car.

I trust this mechanic but the nature of the problem (only when cold, only when moving slowly and turning it very tightly) makes him unsure until we get it on the lift which I plan on doing soon.

The car still corners like a champ, I haven't noticed any degradation in handling at high (high ) speeds. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
thatdudejim
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

This actually happened to me this morning when it was 10 degrees out. Does your steering wheel feel really stiff too? I have a 2007 328xi with 83k miles. After my car gets going it gets better, sometimes I can still feel it there though. Not really sure what's wrong with it but I would like to know as well. Checked the steering fluid also. I notice this happens more often when I am around half a tank of gas. The last time this happened I was under half a tank of gas and when I went to fill up with 93 Shell it went away.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
NoCopNoStop
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudejim View Post
This actually happened to me this morning when it was 10 degrees out. Does your steering wheel feel really stiff too? I have a 2007 328xi with 83k miles. After my car gets going it gets better, sometimes I can still feel it there though. Not really sure what's wrong with it but I would like to know as well. Checked the steering fluid also. I notice this happens more often when I am around half a tank of gas. The last time this happened I was under half a tank of gas and when I went to fill up with 93 Shell it went away.
The steering wheel feels normal, and it cant have anything to do with the gas in the tank, its definitely coming from the steering. It does get better as the car heats up though. If I drive for about 20 minutes and go to park, it doesnt make the noise until the car cools down again.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
select99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi e90

Garage List
2008 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCopNoStop View Post
I have a 2007 335i 4dr and have been noticing a strange grinding sound when going slowly and turning sharply. This only happens when the weather is below 40 degrees. The sound is metal on metal, its definitely mechanical. My steering fluid is full and when I had it checked out before the mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with it.

Today it was about 35 degrees. I noticed the noise in the morning and swung by the mechanic at lunch just so he could hear it. After listening to it for a few minutes, he said it sounds like it may be the rack. I understand this can be a pretty pricey repair and just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same issue with their car.

I trust this mechanic but the nature of the problem (only when cold, only when moving slowly and turning it very tightly) makes him unsure until we get it on the lift which I plan on doing soon.

The car still corners like a champ, I haven't noticed any degradation in handling at high (high ) speeds. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
have exactly same problem like u!my machanic said it is strut mounts,open up the hood and put ur finger on plastik cap,where i mark on pic and ask some one to turn the steering,u will feel it.(i dont have caps cause of koni struts).
Attached Images

Last edited by select99; 03-21-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
select99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi e90

Garage List
2008 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by select99 View Post
have exactly same problem like u!my machanic said it is strut mounts,open up the hood and put ur finger on plastik cap,where i mark on pic and ask some one to turn the steering,u will feel it.(i dont have caps cause of koni struts).
but i am not 100% sure that it is mounts. still not doing anything!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
n0tm3
could-be bmw tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9809 335i

Garage List
2014 435i xdrive  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
gonna just revive this as its the only thread i can find with the exact same problem i have and after being told by multiple mechanics they cant find anything its just frustrating, especially when it makes your car sound broken
      12-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

When the problem is happening, turn off the engine and immediately open the steering reservoir. If it's full of bubbles, the suction hose is leaking when cold and stiff, and the pump is pulling air. A dirty filter can exacerbate the problem.
Appreciate 0