E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N43 / N53 index 11 injector failures

01-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #23
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 330i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
I'm fairly sure index 11 & above shouldn't be mixed with index 10 & below in the same engine.
Have you tried bmw dismantlers/recyclers there's lots of them out there.

I'm still running original injectors in my 2006 335i @ 100k
Yeah, the index 11 in cylinder 1 was a mistake on my part. Bought it 5k ago thinking just one injector was faulty (ha!). I've got bank 1 all on index 11 now, just need to track down 3 more for bank 2.

I'm reluctant to call the breakers as it's an engine cover off job and I might end up spending a weekend at a salvage yard to be disappointed. The chances of finding one in a yard with the 2014 onwards injectors is unlikely.

Well done on the 06 335i. My friend had an early 335i that nearly bankrupted him!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #24
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Ha ha cheers, mines had its moments.
I think the days of rummaging through scrapped cars is over. I've had a few bits from Bridgend BMW recyclers & all the bits are stripped & on the shelves ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:52 AM   #25
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've fitted the final 3x injectors, all six are now index -11. Cold start misfire finally fixed, idles perfectly even on a crisp winter morning. The best news of all is I cannot get the MPG to drop below 30 MPG, even around town in bumper to bumper traffic. I've not had chance to stretch its legs yet but by urban MPG is up by 3-5 MPG, I'll post a long term update.

To recap I bought 1x new injector (£90 eBay no bids), 2x used from Germany (£45 each) and 3x used from a UK breakers (Midland BMW, £65 each). So for £375 I've replaced all six injectors. The 4 MPG will take a long time to repay the parts bill but I'm pleased it's finally sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 03:18 AM   #26
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Great news, well done. Envy your MPG I can easily get mine sub 10mpg lol but that's very short trips.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:03 AM   #27
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

That's great news.
I don't think changing all mine to new ones did anything to my MPG lol
      02-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #28
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Great news, well done. Envy your MPG I can easily get mine sub 10mpg lol but that's very short trips.
Sub 10, you must drive it like your hairs on fire.
Lowest mpg I ever get is 18
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 05:30 AM   #29
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Sub 10, you must drive it like your hairs on fire.
Lowest mpg I ever get is 18
LOL unfortunately not. That's the 0.5 mile trip to pick up my kids from school when it's raining.

Round town general driving it's around 20mpg I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #30
N43B20A
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i N43B20A

Hello, guys!

Sorry for stepping in the discussion, but I also have a problem with my N43 engine. The car (a E90 318i) started "coughing" a few months ago. It seems like a gentle misfire occuring for the first miles after a cold start. The revs keep jumping +/-100 rpms for a fraction of second, and then everything is ok.

The diagnosis revealed a missfire on cilinder 3. My mechanic friend says that the injector needs to be replaced. But an acquaintance of mine, with exactly the same car and also the same problem, has just changed all the four injectors with brand new ones. The problem didn't stop. He didn't change the coils.

My question is, can the coils be faulty? is it worthy to try and change the coil pack with the updated Delphi ones before changing the injector?

Also, is the 13537589048 the latest code for N43/N53 injectors? Thank you a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclsamy View Post
Hello, guys!

Sorry for stepping in the discussion, but I also have a problem with my N43 engine. The car (a E90 318i) started "coughing" a few months ago. It seems like a gentle misfire occuring for the first miles after a cold start. The revs keep jumping +/-100 rpms for a fraction of second, and then everything is ok.

The diagnosis revealed a missfire on cilinder 3. My mechanic friend says that the injector needs to be replaced. But an acquaintance of mine, with exactly the same car and also the same problem, has just changed all the four injectors with brand new ones. The problem didn't stop. He didn't change the coils.

My question is, can the coils be faulty? is it worthy to try and change the coil pack with the updated Delphi ones before changing the injector?

Also, is the 13537589048 the latest code for N43/N53 injectors? Thank you a lot!
Find a good indy to read your fault codes - otherwise it's just guesswork and you'll spend money unnecessarily on parts that don't need replacing.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #32
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hello, guys!

This sounds like an injector fault but as you've been advised get the fault codes read beforehand. The usual advice is to pin it to a cylinder and move the coils around. If the fault moves you've found the coil, if not you've found it's one or more injectors. Bear in mind that you can't pinpoint the cylinder only the bank, in the six cylinder cars you can place the fault in 1-3 or 4-6 but I'm not sure if the four cylinders can be pinpointed.

The fault codes for my injector only misfire were "combustion misfire on cylinder X". The 048 part number is the latest but you need index 11, idenifified by a -11 after the part number on the grey plastic cap on the injector. Any earlier versions do not fix the issue permanently and you must replace each bank (1-4 in your case) with index 11 injectors in one go.

BMW replaced coils under goodwill, do you know if yours had this done? If the fault is isolated to cold starts I'd suspect injectors as sad coils would normally cause problems with a warm engine too.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
N43B20A
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupAnxiety View Post
This sounds like an injector fault but as you've been advised get the fault codes read beforehand. The usual advice is to pin it to a cylinder and move the coils around. If the fault moves you've found the coil, if not you've found it's one or more injectors. Bear in mind that you can't pinpoint the cylinder only the bank, in the six cylinder cars you can place the fault in 1-3 or 4-6 but I'm not sure if the four cylinders can be pinpointed.

The fault codes for my injector only misfire were "combustion misfire on cylinder X". The 048 part number is the latest but you need index 11, idenifified by a -11 after the part number on the grey plastic cap on the injector. Any earlier versions do not fix the issue permanently and you must replace each bank (1-4 in your case) with index 11 injectors in one go.

BMW replaced coils under goodwill, do you know if yours had this done? If the fault is isolated to cold starts I'd suspect injectors as sad coils would normally cause problems with a warm engine too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Find a good indy to read your fault codes - otherwise it's just guesswork and you'll spend money unnecessarily on parts that don't need replacing.
Thank you for the replies. The error was misfire on cyl. 3. The indy moved the coils around, but the error remained on cyl. 3. I have done the recall, but they changed mine with an updated Bosch version. I am not sure they were ok, as I read that there were many people still having problems with them as well. It's my understanding that the latest coils are the Delphi ones, but there wasn't the second recall for them, right?

My indy suggested that I should only replace the faulty injector with one with the same part number. Is it worth it? Or should I simply search for 2 or 4 index 11 injectors hoping that will cure the problem for good?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #34
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. The error was misfire on cyl. 3. The indy moved the coils around, but the error remained on cyl. 3. I have done the recall, but they changed mine with an updated Bosch version. I am not sure they were ok, as I read that there were many people still having problems with them as well. It's my understanding that the latest coils are the Delphi ones, but there wasn't the second recall for them, right?

My indy suggested that I should only replace the faulty injector with one with the same part number. Is it worth it? Or should I simply search for 2 or 4 index 11 injectors hoping that will cure the problem for good?
I'm not as clued up on the coil pack part revisions but mine is running happily after having the BMW recall items applied.

Replacing one injector with index 11 might fix the fault but the injectors do not play nicely together. Anecdotally index 11 can fail when mixed with non index 11. I ran one index 11 injector for 5,000 miles without issue before I new the risks so I'd try and pick up a used index 11 injector and see if that fixes it. That way it's cheap to get and you can trial the fix without worrying about the potential damage to a £200+ new injector.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
N43B20A
Private
Rep

Great idea, I will search for a used index 11 injector to see how it works. Do you have any idea about injector sealing and if it's needed? I heard that the mettalic head should be changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #36
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Great idea, I will search for a used index 11 injector to see how it works. Do you have any idea about injector sealing and if it's needed? I heard that the mettalic head should be changed?
I've reused the decoupling element (spring type fitting half way up the injector) and o-rings on the tip for three injectors. Officially it's a no no but considering the fuel rails are single use only etc I personally consider it to be a nice to have. Far better to reuse the decoupling elements than not have any at all.

The index 11 injectors don't often come up but hold out and you'll get them. I sourced six on eBay between December and February.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #37
N43B20A
Private
Rep

Will make sure I'll get them when they are available on ebay. Setting my "alarm settings" as we speak. Have a great day!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #38
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Will make sure I'll get them when they are available on ebay. Setting my "alarm settings" as we speak. Have a great day!
If you're on iOS the BayWatch app was invaluable to me for monitoring, much better than the native eBay tools!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #39
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
It's my understanding that the latest coils are the Delphi ones, but there wasn't the second recall for them, right?
Correct. The latest iteration of coil is a Delphi product. You can tell it apart from earlier ones by the metal shroud/heat shield around the outside of the coil. One reason I would always buy coils and injectors from a BMW dealer, as you will guarantee to get the latest part number.

These particular parts seem to be upgraded regularly, so there's no point (in my view) in getting anything less than the latest version...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:13 AM   #40
N43B20A
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply. So would it be worth it to upgrade the coils to the latest version when I do the injectors?

Also, maybe it's a dumb question, but what's the importance of the metallic cap when buying a used injector?

Is this worth the money considering it does not have a cap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291991400299...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry for flooding the thread with questions...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:27 AM   #41
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So would it be worth it to upgrade the coils to the latest version when I do the injectors?

Also, maybe it's a dumb question, but what's the importance of the metallic cap when buying a used injector?

Is this worth the money considering it does not have a cap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291991400299...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry for flooding the thread with questions...
I don't think there's any point in replacing coils unless they are faulty. You can always change them if they become faulty later on.

The metal cap is to stop the rubber seals expanding but it's only important for new injectors. Used injector seals have already bedded in to the cylinder they were removed from. Three of mine are using used o-rings without issue.

Last edited by SoupAnxiety; 03-02-2017 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:04 AM   #42
N43B20A
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupAnxiety View Post
If you're on iOS the BayWatch app was invaluable to me for monitoring, much better than the native eBay tools!
Excellent idea to use BayWatch app. Indeed it's much better than the eBay app.

Coming back with updates after speaking with the mechanic today.

My injectors are index 2 with 45k miles on the clock. My mechanic advised me to replace only the one which is faulty. He said to try and find one in our city at a salvage yard. I only found an index 7 one which looked pretty bad and the guy wanted 80GBP/piece. Bad deal.

I currently have two auctions on watch from eBay - one piece starting from 80GBP and a pack of 4 starting at 399 GBP. All index 11. Is it worth waiting for them? An acquaintance of mine has one piece index 09 for sale for 60GBP and I can plug it right away. Is it worth considering?

What should I do? I am pretty confused and I don't know which is the best deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #43
SoupAnxiety
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Excellent idea to use BayWatch app. Indeed it's much better than the eBay app.

Coming back with updates after speaking with the mechanic today.

My injectors are index 2 with 45k miles on the clock. My mechanic advised me to replace only the one which is faulty. He said to try and find one in our city at a salvage yard. I only found an index 7 one which looked pretty bad and the guy wanted 80GBP/piece. Bad deal.

I currently have two auctions on watch from eBay - one piece starting from 80GBP and a pack of 4 starting at 399 GBP. All index 11. Is it worth waiting for them? An acquaintance of mine has one piece index 09 for sale for 60GBP and I can plug it right away. Is it worth considering?

What should I do? I am pretty confused and I don't know which is the best deal.
Index 11 or don't bother. You can try replacing just one but it took all six for me. New fault codes would appear after replacing individually and index 11 don't play nicely with other versions.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #44
N43B20A
Private
Rep

Hello, guys. Just wanted to give some updates to my "story".

While I was waiting for index 11 injectors I found a set of 3 index 7 and 1 index 10 from a friend and decided to try them on with my mechanic. After hours of coding and replacing injectors, we got nowhere so he finally verified the coils once again. It turned out one coil was bad...Yay.

All this stress for nothing. Of course I was upset and nervous as I asked them specifically to check the coils when I first left the car at his place. Oh well... in the end the car runs better now, with a barely noticeable rough idle at cold start, but no misfires or "coughing". The point is now I ended up with two index 7 injectors (bought used) and the other two index 2 (my original 50k miles). Should I put my old injectors back? As they wer falsely diagnosed as faulty?

While the cars runs fine, it seems to be some black smoke and a little gas on the exhaust. I haven't checked the consumption yet. I am not sure I had this problem before.

I am still waiting to get 4 index 11 injectors and maybe update my Bosch Coils to Delphy ones.

Thank you all for help!

Last edited by N43B20A; 03-16-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0