E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Diff Knock. Anyone have a spare diff?

07-10-2021, 03:52 AM   #1
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Diff Knock. Anyone have a spare diff?

Hi all,

Been a part of this forum for a while albeit a lot less active these days.

I have a 2008 E92 335i, which I purchased in 2008 with 9000kms. Attached pic for reference. Car has has been tuned from day 1 of my ownership. I have used every tune available for this platform. Procede was my first, and so and so on. Have now settled with MHD V5 E40.

Car has just clicked over 100K km. I have a knock that I can both hear and feel coming from under the car.

I have put the car on the hoist and had mechanic have a look at what was going on. Applied brake and throttle as if doing a burn out whilst on the hoist to simulate road load. Mechanic is saying he can feel the knock in the diff itself and that diff needs replacement.

Do any of you guys have, or know any one that has an entire diff pumpkin lying around. I'm looking for a small case differential with 3.46 ratio for auto trans, with lowish k's (< 100,000km). A differential with an LSD centre fitted would be even better. I will however consider anything that might be available.

Failing that, has anyone have experience with getting these diffetentials rebuilt? Also by whom? I've been looking at wreckers and all I can find are differentials with over 150,000km.

Hope you guys can help

- Andrew
Attached Images

2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:31 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
Hi all,

Been a part of this forum for a while albeit a lot less active these days.

I have a 2008 E92 335i, which I purchased in 2008 with 9000kms. Attached pic for reference. Car has has been tuned from day 1 of my ownership. I have used every tune available for this platform. Procede was my first, and so and so on. Have now settled with MHD V5 E40.

Car has just clicked over 100K km. I have a knock that I can both hear and feel coming from under the car.

I have put the car on the hoist and had mechanic have a look at what was going on. Applied brake and throttle as if doing a burn out whilst on the hoist to simulate road load. Mechanic is saying he can feel the knock in the diff itself and that diff needs replacement.

Do any of you guys have, or know any one that has an entire diff pumpkin lying around. I'm looking for a small case differential with 3.46 ratio for auto trans, with lowish k's (< 100,000km). A differential with an LSD centre fitted would be even better. I will however consider anything that might be available.

Failing that, has anyone have experience with getting these diffetentials rebuilt? Also by whom? I've been looking at wreckers and all I can find are differentials with over 150,000km.

Hope you guys can help

- Andrew
Might be a great time to upgrade to an LSD. Quaif or mfactory LSDs are popular for our series. Difflab in Qld did mine. They basically have diffs ready to go and you just exchange your busted one for one they have in stock fitted with an LSD of your choice. Was a while back so I dont know if they are still in business. If you are just looking for a replacement, they do come up on the forums from time to time, but a wreckers is still your best bet, although over 100,000 km they will all be showing signs of wear. If you can afford it I would go the LSD route. Makes a big difference to the handling of the car imo. Hope this helps
Appreciate 2
jzx_andy245.00
      07-11-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

I agree with Socks on this one. LSD is regarded to be one of the best things you can do to an e9x 335i.

I hope to be pulling out a small housing 3.46 from my car within the next month or so if you get desperate for a completely stock unit. It has 145,xxx km on it.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 2
Socket4542.00
      07-12-2021, 06:28 AM   #4
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Might be a great time to upgrade to an LSD. Quaif or mfactory LSDs are popular for our series. Difflab in Qld did mine. They basically have diffs ready to go and you just exchange your busted one for one they have in stock fitted with an LSD of your choice. Was a while back so I dont know if they are still in business. If you are just looking for a replacement, they do come up on the forums from time to time, but a wreckers is still your best bet, although over 100,000 km they will all be showing signs of wear. If you can afford it I would go the LSD route. Makes a big difference to the handling of the car imo. Hope this helps
I think you may be right Socket. Getting traction has been an issue. I seem to be leaving single black lines behind me a lot of the time. Could be time to upgrade.

Diff lab is still in business. They can supply an entire diff with all new internals and as you stated an LSD of your choosing.

Thank you for your help
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      07-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
I agree with Socks on this one. LSD is regarded to be one of the best things you can do to an e9x 335i.

I hope to be pulling out a small housing 3.46 from my car within the next month or so if you get desperate for a completely stock unit. It has 145,xxx km on it.
Thank you Andy. Yourself and Socket are on the right track I think. Car can be a real handful when under full power. Back end can kick to one side. You have to be quick to catch it. It is something I have learned to live with. Now might be the time to do something about that.

Will keep you in mind if supplier needs a diff on an exchange basis.

Thank you for your help sir.
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00