E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Programming issues

10-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
Minton444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 525xi e60

Programming issues

I'm a disabled vet that was given this car. The CCC unit went bad so I replaced it because I couldn't afford to have it done by anyone else. Since I was doing the work myself I figured I would do a firmware update on all of my 2006 525XI e60 modules except for the CAS and now I'm having issues. I used K+DCAN cable & WINFPK 5.3.1. with the sp-daten ver 67.1. Everything showed that it completed "OK". Now I have all of these error codes and all kinds of issues. I need help to get back on the road. If I get this fixed I'm never touching this car ever again!!!!

SIM/SGM
93AD 60

SZL
9501 60
94C0 20
94AC 60

STVL/TEFA
963F 20
962C 60

STVR/TEBF
96FD 20
96BF 20
96AC 60

SFZ
9ABF 20
9AAC 60

DME/DDE
CD99 84
CDA8 84
CD94 94
2DC3 04
CDB0 04
CDA9 14
CD9F 14
CDAB 14
CDAA 14
CDAE 14

EGS
CF1B 24
CF1A 24
CF19 24
CF1E 24
CF21 34

VGSG
54C6 71
55C3 38
55D0 28

DSC
D378 A4
D36A A4
D356 A4
D355 A4
5DDF A0
5EBA E0

CAS
A0B1 28

KOMBI
A3B3 20
A3B9 20
A3AC 20
A556 20

SBSL
984C 70
9857 70
986D 70
9878 70
9891 20
9895 60
983F 20
982C 60

SBSR
98ED 70
98F8 70
9915 60
98BF 20
98AC 60

There has been many lessons learned here. One being, I did a firmware update on all of these at one time and didn't cycle the car every time I updated the firmware. I also had a battery charger attached and NOT a voltage regulator. Lastly and most importantly, I should have had an indie shop do the work but I'm broke and now I don't have a car! Will someone please help me get out of this mess.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

I'm NOT familiar with the E60 525xi, but in just examining the DME & CAS Fault Codes you list:
1) ALL DME Fault Codes except 2DC3 (KL15) are "Message Errors" where DME has NOT received proper message from other Modules;
2) CAS error A0B1 is implausible Selector Lever Position, and that is sent to CAS from EGS via Bus signal;
3) ALSO, I do NOT see ANY JBBF/JBE fault codes. That Module is the "Hub" for Bus communications on E9x models. What does E60 use as Hub?

Either the Bus Hub is NOT functioning, OR you have an issue with the Bus communication wiring.

I have NEVER done any flashing or reprogramming of Modules. I ONLY try to use INPA and ISTA to diagnose faults. I presume you have INPA installed (part of BMW Standard Tools) if you have WinKFP?

Using INPA, I would want to open:
1) INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, and see what Modules are shown as active and communicating, and ALSO open
2) INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory, ALL Modules

SAVE ScreenPrint of EACH of those screens, and post here. If you have ISTA installed, you can also use "Control Unit Tree" or "Control Unit List" to see what Modules are communicating.

Information Needed:
1) Please provide Last-7 Characters of your VIN so we can lookup information on your vehicle in ISTA.
2) Please let us know what Diagnostic Software you have available (INPA or ISTA), and if you are NOT familiar with it, we can walk you through HOW to access needed screens and to Save ScreenPrints of those screens to post here.
3) Does Starter Crank engine when START button pressed with foot on Brake?
4) Does Gear Selected ("P") appear in lower display of Instrument Cluster with Ignition ON?
5) What Engine Start issues do you have?

See the attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf that explains HOW to view, save and Attach INPA ScreenPrints. That pdf also contains example screens from my 328xi.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 27 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I'm in ashland.
I'm willing to help you. I'm handy with a computer.
PM me your contact information.

edit:
I've also done e60/61 module replacement programming things.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Minton444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I'm NOT familiar with the E60 525xi, but in just examining the DME & CAS Fault Codes you list:
1) ALL DME Fault Codes except 2DC3 (KL15) are "Message Errors" where DME has NOT received proper message from other Modules;
2) CAS error A0B1 is implausible Selector Lever Position, and that is sent to CAS from EGS via Bus signal;
3) ALSO, I do NOT see ANY JBBF/JBE fault codes. That Module is the "Hub" for Bus communications on E9x models. What does E60 use as Hub?

Either the Bus Hub is NOT functioning, OR you have an issue with the Bus communication wiring.

I have NEVER done any flashing or reprogramming of Modules. I ONLY try to use INPA and ISTA to diagnose faults. I presume you have INPA installed (part of BMW Standard Tools) if you have WinKFP?

Using INPA, I would want to open:
1) INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, and see what Modules are shown as active and communicating, and ALSO open
2) INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory, ALL Modules

SAVE ScreenPrint of EACH of those screens, and post here. If you have ISTA installed, you can also use "Control Unit Tree" or "Control Unit List" to see what Modules are communicating.

Information Needed:
1) Please provide Last-7 Characters of your VIN so we can lookup information on your vehicle in ISTA.
2) Please let us know what Diagnostic Software you have available (INPA or ISTA), and if you are NOT familiar with it, we can walk you through HOW to access needed screens and to Save ScreenPrints of those screens to post here.
3) Does Starter Crank engine when START button pressed with foot on Brake?
4) Does Gear Selected ("P") appear in lower display of Instrument Cluster with Ignition ON?
5) What Engine Start issues do you have?

See the attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf that explains HOW to view, save and Attach INPA ScreenPrints. That pdf also contains example screens from my 328xi.
George
Hello,

I'm using the BMW Standard Tools which has INPA WINFPK and NCSExpert with the 67.1 so-daten files that I got off of MEGA download site. I'm using the k+DCAN cable to connect to the car via laptop.

Last 6 of VIN: 6CS34428

I will go and get those screen prints from INPA. I don't have ISTA, I wish I did but I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Sorry, but there is an error in the "Last-7 Characters of VIN" you provided. Please check info on vehicle and post correct "Last-7". VIN (full 17-characters) can be found on Lower-Left corner of Windshield as viewed from outside, Right Strut Tower under Hood, or decal on Lower B-pillar (rear of door frame) when opening Driver Door. Make sure actual VIN on vehicle is what is shown on Vehicle Registration.
George
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Minton444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but there is an error in the "Last-7 Characters of VIN" you provided. Please check info on vehicle and post correct "Last-7". VIN can be found on Lower-Left corner of Windshield as viewed from outside, Right Strut Tower under Hood, or decal on Lower B-pillar (rear door frame) when opening Driver Door. Make sure actual VIN on vehicle is what is shown on Vehicle Registration.
George
Thanks, I was able to get it fixed with the help of Mizta insane. All I needed to do is code the modules I updated back to the car with NCSExpert.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minton444 View Post
... I'm using the BMW Standard Tools... I will go and get those screen prints from INPA. I don't have ISTA, I wish I did but I can't find it anywhere...
INPA is fine just to get started. If you have NOT used it before, I would suggest reading the 5-page pdf "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" and reviewing the sample screens so you have an overview of what INPA can do. Then View, Save & Post/ Attach ScreenPrints of:
1) "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification" which shows ALL Modules in Vehicle which are communicating (ONE or more may NOT be), and
2) "Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory, All Modules" (Multiple Screens; Save/ Post EACH of 3 or 4 Fault Screens).

Don't let the German in INPA scare you off. The "Numbers" are same as English, and some of us have used INPA enough that the we have translated and remember the technical terms or "Labels" for values displayed. As stated in the link on Page 5 of "Tutorial", Google Translate does a decent job of translating Technical German to English.

If you have the time & interest, just go SLOW with INPA, post screens here, and we'll learn German (and BMW Systems & Diagnosis) together. I would highly recommend SAVING INPA ScreenPrints by MODULE, establishing a Folder for each Module such as DME, CAS, etc., including one for Functional Jobs, which relates to ALL Modules.

As for ISTA, try the Link provided in the attached pdf attached below: "E9x References, 210523 Revision". That pdf contains links to a LOT of helpful and reliable references. ALL references contain some errors or omissions, so for any Repair Operation that is complex, I would suggest referring to MULTIPLE references to make sure you have thought through as many DETAILS as possible, BEFORE proceeding.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References 210523 Revision.pdf (235.9 KB, 45 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I'm in ashland. I'm willing to help you. I'm handy with a computer. PM me your contact information.
edit:
Hi "NSJ", I'm NOT familiar with the Modules in the E60. Does E60 have a JBBF/ JBE that acts as Bus "Hub"? My SWAG from looking at his DME & CAS Fault Codes is that there is a MAJOR Bus fault, or perhaps a programming fault in WHATEVER Module acts as the "Hub" in the E60. That would be the JBBF/ JBE Module in the E9x models.

Since using WinKFP to flash All/Multiple Modules apparently caused the current issues, would you suggest ONLY re-flashing ONE Module at a time to try to identify the fault (re-test for communications faults after each module flashed), and if so, WHICH Module should OP begin with? The "Hub"?

ANYONE got an E60 who can provide list of ALL Modules in Vehicle, similar to "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification" screenprint?

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
Minton444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in ashland. I'm willing to help you. I'm handy with a computer. PM me your contact information.
edit:
Hi "NSJ", I'm NOT familiar with the Modules in the E60. Does E60 have a JBBF/ JBE that acts as Bus "Hub"? My SWAG from looking at his DME & CAS Fault Codes is that there is a MAJOR Bus fault, or perhaps a programming fault in WHATEVER Module acts as the "Hub" in the E60. That would be the JBBF/ JBE Module in the E9x models.

Since using WinKFP to flash All/Multiple Modules apparently caused the current issues, would you suggest ONLY re-flashing ONE Module at a time to try to identify the fault (re-test for communications faults after each module flashed), and if so, WHICH Module should OP begin with? The "Hub"?

[COLOR="Red"]ANYONE[/COLOR] got an E60 who can provide list of ALL Modules in Vehicle, similar to "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification" screenprint?

Thanks,
George
From what I learned through all this is, only do one module at a time to isolate any issues to only one thing at a time. Most importantly, only touch what you are working on and nothing else!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I was able to get it fixed with the help of Mizta insane. All I needed to do is code the modules I updated back to the car with NCSExpert.
Glad to hear you got if fixed!! KUDOS to "mizta insane"!!

For those of us who do NOT have E6x models, and have refrained from using WinKFP for the reasons you cited in your first post , I would request that you do the following, if time, so we can learn some basics:

1) Post a ScreenPrint of ALL Modules in your vehicle (INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification);
2) According to my reading of ISTA, the E6x vehicles do NOT have a "JBBF/ JBE" Module as the Bus Gateway, but rather call it "Body Gateway Module, KGM"; I would be interested in seeing if that NOW appears in the "F2, Identification" Screen, AND if there are any Fault Codes currently present in that Module.

3) For folks like me who are WARY of messing with the Programming in ANY Module, can you summarize WHAT you have learned about HOW to do that using BMW Standard Tools, whether regular Battery Charger (6 to 10 Amp charge rate) is OK, or whether a "Regulated Power Supply" is needed?

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

ANYONE got an E60 who can provide list of ALL Modules in Vehicle, similar to "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification" screenprint?

Thanks,
George
KBM/KGM in the e60.
but a lot of stuff also interchanges.
I have an e60 SDARS unit in my e90 because it had a lifetime subscription attached.
same unit.
the general architecture of all of it is very similar.
there are no more e6x vehicles in my life.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #12
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
From what I learned through all this is, only do one module at a time to isolate any issues to only one thing at a time. Most importantly, only touch what you are working on and nothing else!!!!
module firmware is the ultimate "If it's not broken don't fix it"

I only update what's needed, and I've done a significant amount of swapping things in my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
3) For folks like me who are WARY of messing with the Programming in ANY Module, can you summarize WHAT you have learned about HOW to do that using BMW Standard Tools, whether regular Battery Charger (6 to 10 Amp charge rate) is OK, or whether a "Regulated Power Supply" is needed?

Thanks,
George
You need a minimum of 25 amps.
when the car is powered up I see 23a pretty consistently, and that's with the lights and HVAC and extraneous accessories turned off.
I used to use a stanley bc series charger, it worked, even for EGS flashes.
I know this one to work for basic stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-BC25B...4490160&sr=8-1
I later built a power supply from a dell server power supply that kicks out 50+ amps at 13.8V
minimum voltage for programming is 13.2 according to the books.

edit:
I would assume that the fix was to simply default code all those modules using the VO code. winkfp loads the physical firmware, ncsexpert changes the config files to tell the firmware what to do and where it is based on specific vehicle/options.
That's what I was going to do first anyhow, after verifying that they were all actually on the bus and there to be talked to.
a little sg codieren and off ya go.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #14
Minton444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
George
You need a minimum of 25 amps.
when the car is powered up I see 23a pretty consistently, and that's with the lights and HVAC and extraneous accessories turned off.
I used to use a stanley bc series charger, it worked, even for EGS flashes.
I know this one to work for basic stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-BC25B...160&sr=8-1
I later built a power supply from a dell server power supply that kicks out 50+ amps at 13.8V
minimum voltage for programming is 13.2 according to the books.
Would you pm how you built that HP server power! I have several on hand. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

In general you can program one module at a time without a power supply
if you have a strong battery . But you need to check that before and after
programming for for voltage drop and I wouldn't do it on Engine and Engine
related modules .

Good idea to take some time an learn something about the car from Georges links

although they are 3 series related ( there may be similar stuff on the 5 series board)
You dodged a major bullet pretty fast.
diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lkXEhlQYy4i9Nb
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1590283589
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kBbC27TJLX3BGe
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WekqhcC6hsgK2c
primary links
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573
https://www.nathansbmwworkshop.com/b...or-dean-videos
ista problems
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663

there are some cool tweeks you can make with programming such as windows up with remote.
No auto air conditioning on start up .
There is a list on the coding sub forum.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Handy E9x References-1.pdf (213.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by ctuna; 10-17-2021 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Would you pm how you built that HP server power! I have several on hand. Thanks
google rc groups diy power supply.
huge thread on there with many different schematics for a bunch of different power supplies. RC people been using them for cheap hi current battery charging power supplies.

I had to bypass the current and voltage protections and set te output voltage using a resistor across the PSUs load sensing pins, but that's specific to each model.
Appreciate 0