E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Single Turbo Kit Recommendations

08-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
Mario54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
It's all about preference... I don't blame you for wanting a top mount over a bottom mount kit. Just remember there are trade offs.

The top mount looks amazing but has issues with burning/melting things... Engine cover, valve cover, a/c lines etc.

If it's between the vm kit and doc race, then it comes down to price. The better kit is doc race but it costs more...
What if the manifold and downpipe was wrapped, turbo has a blanket. Will there still be issued?
There is like 1000$ difference between the VM and AD engineering, and like 500$ between Doc Race and AD.

Thanks for being very helpful whosdady

Last edited by Mario54; 08-27-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #24
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Doc Racing kit I believe still has a $1K discount on one of the forums, putting it just under $5K.

Edit: Nevermind that promotion has expired
Wooow any clue where? 😂

Last edited by Mario54; 08-27-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #25
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Doc Racing kit I believe still has a $1K discount on one of the forums, putting it just under $5K.

Wooow any clue where? 😂
The discount passed already. Bimma boost had it for a while.
Honestly had I known FFTEC bottom mount had the same issues as top mount, I might have just gone with motiv or stayed with a twin setup. I felt like I removed so much that it would have been not much harder with any other.
      08-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #26
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered
You can control the mac solenoid with flash assuming you use their control box.

As for the OP, I'm not sure what you mean by 'no kits seem to have everything'. VM (the kit I run) includes everything necessary to install the kit and is of tip-top quality. All you need to provide is a tuning solution (and potentially fueling mods if you want to run E85). I used MHD+JB4 as its easier, cheaper, and more convenient for me to use. They recently as of a few months ago had a drastic price reduction as well.
So motiv uses a signal converter box?
Sered
      08-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #27
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
It's all about preference... I don't blame you for wanting a top mount over a bottom mount kit. Just remember there are trade offs.

The top mount looks amazing but has issues with burning/melting things... Engine cover, valve cover, a/c lines etc.

If it's between the vm kit and doc race, then it comes down to price. The better kit is doc race but it costs more...
What if the manifold and downpipe was wrapped, turbo has a blanket. Will there still be issued?
There is like 1000$ difference between the VM and AD engineering, and like 500$ between Doc Race and AD.

Thanks for being very helpful whosdady
Anytime...

Robc1976 first bought the motiv and had it for several months. Once the top mounts came out he decided he liked the looks better. He went with the vm kit. I'm sure there have been some revisions but there were several issues with fitment.

He had the blanket, wrap, tape, etc. He burnt his lines and ended up selling the car...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:16 AM   #28
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Anytime...

Robc1976 first bought the motiv and had it for several months. Once the top mounts came out he decided he liked the looks better. He went with the vm kit. I'm sure there have been some revisions but there were several issues with fitment.

He had the blanket, wrap, tape, etc. He burnt his lines and ended up selling the car...

Dang that's scary..
Guess I'll really have to consider a AD engineering or motive kit. But hows the spool on either kit compared to other twinscroll top mount setups. But man that motiv kit price looks scary lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Anytime...

Dang that's scary..
Guess I'll really have to consider a AD engineering or motive kit. But hows the spool on either kit compared to other twinscroll top mount setups. But man that motiv kit price looks scary lol
The motiv kit may be the fastest spooling kit on the market? The o2 sensor issues have been fixed for all single turbos for the most part. If you run on low boost until the weak tranny gets resolved, you should be ok.

The biggest issue with motiv is the price...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #30
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I'm considering doc race and motiv for when I burn out my 2+. Hopefully in 2 yrs and 100k.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Anytime...

I didn't have any issues with fitment on my VM kit, though I got the kit at least 6 months after RobC did.

I've not encountered any melting lines of any sort; I've been watching them like a hawk and I drive the car almost everyday in Central Florida heat.
      08-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #32
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
I didn't have any issues with fitment on my VM kit, though I got the kit at least 6 months after RobC did.

I've not encountered any melting lines of any sort; I've been watching them like a hawk and I drive the car almost everyday in Central Florida heat.
Glad to hear you're not having any issues! That makes me feel better too lol.
Mind sharing what have you done to all the surrounding parts to avoid melting stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #33
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
The motiv kit may be the fastest spooling kit on the market? The o2 sensor issues have been fixed for all single turbos for the most part. If you run on low boost until the weak tranny gets resolved, you should be ok.

Yeah man the motive kit price isn't appealing at all. The ADE kit seems not that common around. So I'm getting biased to the top mounted kits it seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #34
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Anytime...

This is because he had to get/build custom parts that didn't come with the kit initially. I'm guessing he sold you the parts he added when he sold you the kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #35
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah man the motive kit price isn't appealing at all. The ADE kit seems not that common around. So I'm getting biased to the top mounted kits it seems.
It all goes back to preference and what's more important to you. You really can't go wrong with either kit. You will need to take special precautions with the top mount but it looks so much better...

But if you have any melting issues, you will wish you went with the bottom mount option...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #36
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
It all goes back to preference and what's more important to you. You really can't go wrong with either kit. You will need to take special precautions with the top mount but it looks so much better...

But if you have any melting issues, you will wish you went with the bottom mount option...
I'm not sure what melting issues you're going to have unless you don't route your lines and such properly. O2 sensor wires and MAC solenoid wires are the two to pay the most attention to. But getting them around and away from the hot parts was trivial.

I drove 600 miles both directions on a road trip along with another 300 mile side trek during the trip (a total of about 1600 in 5 days). No heat issues, no melted parts.
      08-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #37
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
I'm not sure what melting issues you're going to have unless you don't route your lines and such properly. O2 sensor wires and MAC solenoid wires are the two to pay the most attention to. But getting them around and away from the hot parts was trivial.

I drove 600 miles both directions on a road trip along with another 300 mile side trek during the trip (a total of about 1600 in 5 days). No heat issues, no melted parts.
Sered can you please share a photo of your engine bay if possible please

I would love to know what did you do to your surrounding components around the turbo and manifold.

I really don't know how to thank you guys for all the helpful info your providing
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #38
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As you know, there is very little space where the manifold and turbo sit. If you have a big single turbo, you could easily have issues like my friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #39
Grand_hustle17
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Im kind of loving the look of on3 kit but i just need some numbers on it
Appreciate 0