E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Camshaft Bearing Ledge failure - Who's had this?

08-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
Sean978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT SGM

Camshaft Bearing Ledge failure - Who's had this?

Like the title states, I'm looking for some folks that have dealt with this.

I took a ride last weekend and out of nowhere after a 3rd gear pull, the car threw a litany of codes; 2a87, 2a98, 2a99, a couple other Vanos codes .... mutliple cylinder misfires (every cylinder), knock detection cylinder 2 .... some others that are escaping me right now and I dont have the list in front of me. Those were the pertinent ones. Immediately pulled over on the highway and turned off car. Tried clearing codes and restarting and the car clearly wasn't right. It stalled, and I got a tow home from that point.

From the limited amount of material I found to research i'm nearly convinced the bearing ledges are scored, and that cam timing jumped. I'm gearing up to move the car to our garage to start opening up the valve cover and seeing whats going on. My question is, for those of you have dealt with problem, how did you attack it??

ANY info before I start tearing her down would help. Thanks guys.

*Edit* should also mention I cleaned both Vanos Solenoids, which were dirty. On restart the idle calmed down to normal for about 3 minutes before shit hit the fan again and went back to sounding like and idling like dogshit.

Last edited by Sean978; 08-28-2016 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Vanos.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Is your car an M3 ? I haven't heard many n54 s with bearing ledge failure,

do you have meth? What were you IAT s if you were logging ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

The bearing ledge is a known issue that can happen, though not often. Someone also wrote a diy on here.

Why not start by replacing both your solenoids and clearing adaptations before considering the most extreme possibility?
      08-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

What year, typically ledge failure is in the 07s and 08s even though there are some claims for 09 and 10 too.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Sean978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
What year, typically ledge failure is in the 07s and 08s even though there are some claims for 09 and 10 too.
Its an 09. 103k nearly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
The bearing ledge is a known issue that can happen, though not often. Someone also wrote a diy on here.

Why not start by replacing both your solenoids and clearing adaptations before considering the most extreme possibility?
I cleared adaptations a bunch of times, should have mentioned that also. While I was on the highway waiting for the flatbed. Also before and after I cleaned the solenoids. In all honesty I want to replace the valve cover gasket before this had all happened so i'm going to have the valve cover off anyway, so i'm curious what it'd look like. Theres only a handful of pics from presumably the same motor that I could find. Seemed like a worst case scenario with an etched camshaft also...

The last time I started the car, after the vanos solenoids were cleaned, there was a distinct metal on metal sound and awful noise coming from the exhaust side of the valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean978
Quote:

Quote:

I cleared adaptations a bunch of times, should have mentioned that also. While I was on the highway waiting for the flatbed. Also before and after I cleaned the solenoids. In all honesty I want to replace the valve cover gasket before this had all happened so i'm going to have the valve cover off anyway, so i'm curious what it'd look like. Theres only a handful of pics from presumably the same motor that I could find. Seemed like a worst case scenario with an etched camshaft also...

The last time I started the car, after the vanos solenoids were cleaned, there was a distinct metal on metal sound and awful noise coming from the exhaust side of the valve cover.
Ok....I meant reset adaptations after you replace both vanos solenoids. again, I suggest replacing both your vanos solenoids before moving on the the cam bearing ledge as an issue. At $85 each, this simple fix could easily be your issue. Cleaning them is often insufficient.
      08-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean978 View Post
Like the title states, I'm looking for some folks that have dealt with this.

I took a ride last weekend and out of nowhere after a 3rd gear pull, the car threw a litany of codes; 2a87, 2a98, 2a99, a couple other Vanos codes .... mutliple cylinder misfires (every cylinder), knock detection cylinder 2 .... some others that are escaping me right now and I dont have the list in front of me. Those were the pertinent ones. Immediately pulled over on the highway and turned off car. Tried clearing codes and restarting and the car clearly wasn't right. It stalled, and I got a tow home from that point.

From the limited amount of material I found to research i'm nearly convinced the bearing ledges are scored, and that cam timing jumped. I'm gearing up to move the car to our garage to start opening up the valve cover and seeing whats going on. My question is, for those of you have dealt with problem, how did you attack it??

ANY info before I start tearing her down would help. Thanks guys.

*Edit* should also mention I cleaned both Vanos Solenoids, which were dirty. On restart the idle calmed down to normal for about 3 minutes before shit hit the fan again and went back to sounding like and idling like dogshit.
What's the service history like? could be poor service history and sludged up oil? you did state that cleaning the solenoids fixed it for a while, probably (I'm guessing) until they got dirty again.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
What's the service history like? could be poor service history and sludged up oil? you did state that cleaning the solenoids fixed it for a while, probably (I'm guessing) until they got dirty again.
From what I have read, cleaning the vanos solenoids has had very limited success and usually does not solve any issues for very long. I would probably do new solenoids at that mileage anyway and go from there
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean978
Quote:

Quote:

At one point I was getting vanos codes. It ended up being the oil filter cap stem was missing. It has a oring on it that controls oil flow.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

I had this issue on my old e92 335i (2007) - $2k repair I believe. (Covered by third party warranty)
      08-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
hoopvillian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
From what I have read, cleaning the vanos solenoids has had very limited success and usually does not solve any issues for very long. I would probably do new solenoids at that mileage anyway and go from there

I might be an exception but I got my car at 50k and it would throw vanos cels whenever I would punch it. I cleaned then swapped intake and exhaust and now Im sitting at 148k miles without throwing another code. Ledges are fine too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Common issue for the earlier n54

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean978 View Post
Edit* should also mention I cleaned both Vanos Solenoids, which were dirty. On restart the idle calmed down to normal for about 3 minutes before shit hit the fan again and went back to sounding like and idling like dogshit.
I just had one X5 3.5i with the same issue. Run ATF with the engine oil, clean vanos solenoids, clean vanos check valves, clean crank possion sensors, Rotella T6 and see... It worked for the X5
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #14
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Bearing ledges replaced on my car twice under warranty.
With the previous owner at about 30K miles.
With me, it was done at about 95K miles when I was having rough running and the dealer rebuilt the head on my car including cam ledges.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Run ATF with the engine oil
Never heard of this before?!? how long for and whats the purpose (I'm guessing to break down sludge?)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #16
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Never heard of this before?!? how long for and whats the purpose (I'm guessing to break down sludge?)
It's good "detergent" because is thin. Could be also used in the fuel but not good for catalyst converters. It will clean and lubricate the lines and injectors, especially in diesel engines. In the engine head it will clean and lubricate the valve lifters. I used 1q in 7q engine. Ran it for about 30-45min for the engine for get hot. If there isn't any or much matal shavings on the vanos check valves screen probably is not camshaft ledges. Oil quality and oil flow is huge factor in these engines throwing vanos codes or not. Some say it wouldn't make difference and could harm the engine but I have seen it work. For a DIY-er is $50 for some ATF and good diesel engine oil due to higher detergent quilities built into it. Is definitely a worth of try.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #17
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
It's good "detergent" because is thin. Could be also used in the fuel but not good for catalyst converters. It will clean and lubricate the lines and injectors, especially in diesel engines. In the engine head it will clean and lubricate the valve lifters. I used 1q in 7q engine. Ran it for about 30-45min for the engine for get hot. If there isn't any or much matal shavings on the vanos check valves screen probably is not camshaft ledges. Oil quality and oil flow is huge factor in these engines throwing vanos codes or not. Some say it wouldn't make difference and could harm the engine but I have seen it work. For a DIY-er is $50 for some ATF and good diesel engine oil due to higher detergent quilities built into it. Is definitely a worth of try.
Not that I'm a mechanic but have been around cars all my life practically and I've never heard of this!

TBH I'm dubious I know I wouldnt run it in my N54

There a lot of conjecture on this thread on the use of ATF as a engine flush:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...opics/263558/3
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #18
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well then OP can buy an engine flush meant for flushing engines. There's at least 4 or 5 out there that are well respected. It's not ATF, but same concept as suggested.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50