E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2008 335xi Rpm Jumping Please Help!!!!

08-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
BobbyBMW335xi
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Twin Turbo

Question 2008 335xi Rpm Jumping Please Help!!!!

So to put it in a nutshell I bought a lemon 2008 335xi I've been to hell and back with this car new driveshaft/ transfer case, cats, fly wheel, belt and tensioner, two brand new turbos, etc... Befor I put my car in the shop I had some hesitation when I stepped on the gas, my mechanic explains that it was a broken seal on the pipe that holds pressure for the turbo to activate and wasn't building enough pressure is why I'm feeling that almost thud in the acceleration. So I went ahead and put two brand new turbos in and fixed the pipe. Now I am still getting the same problem after the job was done... a lot of people have told me to sell the car but in all honesty I love this car and plan on keeping for a while shieeeeet half the pets are brand new on the thing! But seriously if anyone knows an answer to my problem other than take it to the shop that did it please help me out! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:24 AM   #2
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Sorry to hear all of this.

Not sure how to help you based in your post.

Have you been pulling codes this entire time?

Who did the turbo install?

The pipe your mechanic seems to be referring to is the charge pipe and it attaches to the throttle body, diverter valves and intake/intercooler. It's a $150-250 upgrade for an aftermarket aluminum unit (ER, Vrsf etc)? Oem is plastic and totally fine unless you're running a tune with higher boost.

Best of luck. Do some searching on here. Every possible issue with this engine and car has been discussed inside and out 100x over.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

The explanation from the mechanic in the first place made no sense. That could have easily been tested with a logger.

Have you even tried any diagnosing by pulling codes?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Sounds to me like the car is missing. Could be plugs, coils, HPFP or injectors. Personally i don't think the new turbos were needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
BobbyBMW335xi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Sorry to hear all of this.

Not sure how to help you based in your post.

Have you been pulling codes this entire time?

Who did the turbo install?

The pipe your mechanic seems to be referring to is the charge pipe and it attaches to the throttle body, diverter valves and intake/intercooler. It's a $150-250 upgrade for an aftermarket aluminum unit (ER, Vrsf etc)? Oem is plastic and totally fine unless you're running a tune with higher boost.

Best of luck. Do some searching on here. Every possible issue with this engine and car has been discussed inside and out 100x over.
The turbo install was done by a highly reputable indie mechanic 20+ years working with BMW's they are partnered with active auto werkes and are ASE certified. Not like other mechanics where they're just trying to make a quick buck....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
BobbyBMW335xi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Sounds to me like the car is missing. Could be plugs, coils, HPFP or injectors. Personally i don't think the new turbos were needed.
Turbos were not needed was my decision to due that they claimed to replace the pipe was the same amount of labor to replace the turbos because hey need to break down the engine just to get to the pipe so I figured why pay all that labor for just a 250$ pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
BobbyBMW335xi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
The explanation from the mechanic in the first place made no sense. That could have easily been tested with a logger.

Have you even tried any diagnosing by pulling codes?
Before he did the turbos I had a boost pressure code not sure what the exact code was... if I gunned the car my half engine light would come on and I would have an awful sound from the muffler (almost like an exhaust leak but not as loud) also never heard the turbos initiate until after hey were replaced
Appreciate 0