E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52 serpentine belt

03-16-2024, 10:21 AM   #1
Taylored
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Hello all..

Recently got a N52 330i. I just noticed on a check up that on the serpentine belt tensioner the belt sticks a tiny bit out (looks worse on photo as is close up). I already ordered new OFHG since the oil leaking from it is what probably caused it also ordered a new serpentine belt kit with tensioner etc. Problem is, I’m really busy myself and the stuff takes a while to get delivered plus my mechanic only has time 11th of april. Other shops around also fully booked untill late april.

Is this still drivable in the meantime?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Shouldn’t be a problem for a while. I drove like that for two years because of a used tensioner I installed after the crap quality almost new INA broke in two pieces.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Taylored
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando_e90 View Post
Shouldn’t be a problem for a while. I drove like that for two years because of a used tensioner I installed after the crap quality almost new INA broke in two pieces.
Thanks for your feedback lol. I saw the horror story’s about belts being sucked in the engine etc.
Hence asking
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:28 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, I would replace that belt immediately. Two reasons, (1) the belt is worn out because it has the tell-tale micro-cracks in the ribs, and (2) it is very close to slipping off the tensioner pully.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
tcphoto3537.00
Bims328i270.50
      03-16-2024, 01:16 PM   #5
Taylored
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, I would replace that belt immediately. Two reasons, (1) the belt is worn out because it has the tell-tale micro-cracks in the ribs, and (2) it is very close to slipping off the tensioner pully.
That is how I feel aswell. Only problem is I don’t have an opportunity to fix it anytime soon. Really busy with work, my tools not around since i just moved to a new place. Plus all garages only available in april.

But I don’t want to ruin my engine by letting it swallow the belt if it snaps pffftt.

Reactions are split, half of people tell me that for a while nothing will happen. Other half is telling me change it immediately.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:33 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylored View Post
That is how I feel aswell. Only problem is I don’t have an opportunity to fix it anytime soon. Really busy with work, my tools not around since i just moved to a new place. Plus all garages only available in april.

But I don’t want to ruin my engine by letting it swallow the belt if it snaps pffftt.

Reactions are split, half of people tell me that for a while nothing will happen. Other half is telling me change it immediately.
Understood. I don't know what is like to live in the Netherlands and availability to buy tools, but all you need for tools is a breaker bar and a T45 or T50 (I forget which size) E-Torx socket and a Torx socket (again, I forget the size) for the tensioner bolt. It's a 20-minute job to replace the tensioner and belt. The tools are a lot less expensive than pulling the oil pan to get the belt parts out of the engine bottom end.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      03-16-2024, 05:05 PM   #7
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Err on the side of caution, I wouldn't drive it until a new belt is put on with new tensioner/idler pulley and bolts.

T60 to loosen the tensioner with a breaker bar. You'll also need a torque wrench
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 06:50 PM   #8
Taylored
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I won’t drive it before there is a new belt, tensioner etc. Is on it.

Anyone knows if I need a specialsize belt since my car has active steering?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:09 PM   #9
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Replace.

But you can find a T50 bit and a breaker bar, order them, and put a new one on and still be faster and cheaper than paying the garage. Your tensioner is still worn out and needs to be replaced, but you could wait a bit till the tool situation is worked out. It needs an E45 socket or something like that, and a torque wrench to accurately tighten.

I don't want to be presumptive of your situation, but this is a VERY DIY sort of a job. Even with the investment in specialty tools, you will be way ahead doing it.

And then get that OFHG done!!! That is also a pretty straightforward job, even for someone in an apartment or street parking. I don't at all want to sound preachy, just letting you know.

But yeah, belt could go any minute and cause catastrophic engine damage. Get it fixed!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 10:42 PM   #10
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Understood. I don't know what is like to live in the Netherlands and availability to buy tools, but all you need for tools is a breaker bar and a T45 or T50 (I forget which size) E-Torx socket and a Torx socket (again, I forget the size) for the tensioner bolt. It's a 20-minute job to replace the tensioner and belt. The tools are a lot less expensive than pulling the oil pan to get the belt parts out of the engine bottom end.
I agree pick up the few parts and tools needed and DIY this. It’s not difficult and this will cost orders of magnitude less than a shop will charge you.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17318.00
      03-17-2024, 04:16 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'd drive it, no worries. Just observe it with the engine running - if it runs smoothly and doesn't bounce or wobble, it's extremely unlikely to come off. YMMV

That said, it's an easy job to replace it, as others have pointed out.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 04:24 AM   #12
Taylored
Rep

I’m not taking any changes doesn’t feel right to drive it. Will do it myself asap. OFHG next in line. And then I can finally do some preventative maintenance instead of fixing current problems.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17318.00
Mike K322.00
      03-17-2024, 10:01 AM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylored View Post
... Recently got a N52 330i. I just noticed on a check up that on the serpentine belt tensioner the belt sticks a tiny bit out... I already ordered new OFHG since the oil leaking from it is what probably caused it also ordered a new serpentine belt kit with tensioner etc...
BEFORE you do anything, I would carefully inspect the position of the belt on ALL grooved pulleys, using a bright LED light. I can't be sure, but your photo at the very Lower-Right corner appears to show the belt ONE GROOVE forward on the Power Steering Pump Pulley (similar to position on Tensioner).

If the belt is NOT positioned CORRECTLY on EACH pulley that suggests a Prior Owner or his "Mek-Nik" was in a hurry and paid NO attention to DETAILS.

Since you've already ordered a Tensioner Kit and OFHG, I would do EVERYTHING at same time, but inspect belt for wear or oil damage and also inspect Tensioner for any looseness in idler bearing, taking time to ANALyze what caused belt to be positioned FORWARD.

Please let us know what you find.
George
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2024, 10:30 AM   #14
Taylored
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
BEFORE you do anything, I would carefully inspect the position of the belt on ALL grooved pulleys, using a bright LED light. I can't be sure, but your photo at the very Lower-Right corner appears to show the belt ONE GROOVE forward on the Power Steering Pump Pulley (similar to position on Tensioner).

If the belt is NOT positioned CORRECTLY on EACH pulley that suggests a Prior Owner or his "Mek-Nik" was in a hurry and paid NO attention to DETAILS.

Since you've already ordered a Tensioner Kit and OFHG, I would do EVERYTHING at same time, but inspect belt for wear or oil damage and also inspect Tensioner for any looseness in idler bearing, taking time to ANALyze what caused belt to be positioned FORWARD.

George
Hi George, many thanks for your extensive help & advise. It is greatly appreciated.

I’ve inspected the power steering pulley and the rest of them and the belt does sit in the correct groves.

With the engine is running, it seems like the tensioner is wobbling a tiny bit. So I’m assuming that is what’s causing the belt to hang over.

However, when checking for belts online, I’ve noticed that there is an option for serpentine belts for cars with active steering and without.

My car has active steerint, so maybe they put the wrong belt on it? Not sure tho since they are the same length.

Are you aware in any differences with belts for active steering and without?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:40 AM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

They sell a protection ring for the Front Main Oil Seal now .
You might consider putting one of those in and changing
the tension er and belt . If that thing goes bad it can take
out your whole Engine.

broken belt
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231881
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23
https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305990
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2024, 10:42 AM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

They sell a protection ring for the Front Main Oil Seal now .
You might consider putting one of those in and changing
the tension er and belt . If that thing goes bad it can take
out your whole Engine.

broken belt
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231881
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23
https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305990

I would have nightmares with it that far over the pulley.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 11:00 AM   #17
Dutchsea
Rep
Drives: BMW3 E91

Hi Taylored, I just replaced mine in my E91 with M47 engine. Never done it before and it was not difficult. And took me about an hour but if I need to do it again it will take me 15-25 minutes now I now exactly how it works. I have lots of space to work as I have a 4 cilinder engine which has lots of space in the front.

I have power steering too. And my engine has 2 belts. One for power steering and one for the rest. See foto 1. (My power steering belt has no tensioner and needs to be removed by guiding it away from the pulley with a piece of flat wood while turning the crank pulley)

I suggest you check the code one your existing belt to verify which one you need to order. The code for my power steering belt is clearly visible in the foto.
If you can’t see it just turn the crank shaft till the code becomes visible.

Only “special” tool I needed was a large torx bit. I am pretty sure I needed a T45 to use on the belt tensioner to release the pressure. Stick in pin in the hole of the tensioner so it remains in position during the belt removed and replacement phase. Foto 2
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-17-2024, 01:33 PM   #18
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchsea View Post
Only “special” tool I needed was a large torx bit. I am pretty sure I needed a T45 to use on the belt tensioner to release the pressure.
N52 tensioner requires a T60 to release tension. Here's a detailed DIY.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 09:02 AM   #19
Taylored
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

George
Replaced the belt and tensioner today. It was a bad tensioner. It was really wiggly. Next up is OFHG.

Als discovered today that I have a small coolant leak. Can’t find anything from above. So I suspect it is the waterpump.

That was next on my to do list , so Will repace it anyway. Only did not expect to do everything at once 😂

Also ordered spark plugs - oil and oil filter. Will do those while doing the OFHG.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 09:14 AM   #20
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I replaced the tensioner, pulleys and belt on my N54 last month, I must have used a third of a can of degreaser before installing new parts. You need to see it clean so you can monitor the leaks, I don't have an OFHG issue but I do have the gasket in the tool bag just in case.
      03-21-2024, 12:13 PM   #21
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Whenever I replace spark plugs I get new ignition coils. The BMW's are so finicky for the coils. Cheap easy and worth no longer worrying about.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 12:17 PM   #22
Taylored
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Whenever I replace spark plugs I get new ignition coils. The BMW's are so finicky for the coils. Cheap easy and worth no longer worrying about.
Any recommendation on a brand for the coils? I ordered NGK plugs.
Appreciate 0