E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320d EfficientDynamics

04-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #45
bencookman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive

Point taken on the "real world" vs "OBC" statistics. I don't doubt that the actual consumption will be somewhat down on what the computer's telling me.

In terms of how hard I'm driving the car, I wouldn't say I was, as I'm keen to tread fairly gently for the first 1k miles or so. I've been setting the cruise control on the m-way at 77 and then on A-roads I'm dictated by traffic flows, so average 50-60 out of town.

Also to be fair, I can't afford to drive the car too hard - I have 80 miles to drive per day to and from work, so minimising diesel costs is a must. That was the primary driver for choosing this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #46
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencookman View Post
Point taken on the "real world" vs "OBC" statistics. I don't doubt that the actual consumption will be somewhat down on what the computer's telling me.

In terms of how hard I'm driving the car, I wouldn't say I was, as I'm keen to tread fairly gently for the first 1k miles or so. I've been setting the cruise control on the m-way at 77 and then on A-roads I'm dictated by traffic flows, so average 50-60 out of town.

Also to be fair, I can't afford to drive the car too hard - I have 80 miles to drive per day to and from work, so minimising diesel costs is a must. That was the primary driver for choosing this car.
Will be interested in what you do find is the real mpg, but there is no reason why you don't get mid to high 60's if, as you say, you are not driving hard. These cars are designed for economy with a light foot and moderation in speed.

BTW, enjoy, probably the most sensible car out there for a decent ride and economical drive.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #47
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Ive got a 320 ED for a weeks demo or so from friday, Ill report back on how I find it, but after my initial drive the other day, I was very impressed.

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #48
corbijnal
Rep
Drives: 320d ed

Just had my 320d Efficient Dynamics company car delivered yesterday.

I drive 25 miles to work - 50% motorway -30 A-Roads and 20% Town centre

On Wednesday in my 118D I got 51mpg.

Today I averaged 64mpg. Not driving any differently.

The new 320d ed is more powerful, smoother, quiter, nicer ride, and more efficient.

I just can't find any compromises at all. And as a company car driver the figures are just amazing. Truly amazing!

Last edited by corbijnal; 04-30-2010 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #49
mcjizja3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d ED (ordered)

I was excited to find this thread having just ordered an ED as my next company car, I'm glad those people that have one already are finding the ownership experience positive!

corbijnal - which colour did you go for?

I ordered mine in Arctic White 2 weeks ago - how long did delivery take? The estimate from our lease company is about 8 weeks from order.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #50
bbdivo
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

mcjizja3, I ordered mine on the 27th of April through our car scheme and have been given an estimated delivery date of 11th of June, which is about 7 weeks.

Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #51
ken m sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d F36 Gran Coupe

Guys could you post some pics of your ED please, external & interior.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #52
corbijnal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjizja3 View Post

corbijnal - which colour did you go for?

......how long did delivery take?
I was looking at white but my wife really didn't like it so I went for Jet black which looks excellent....

I think it was ordered first week of March so that makes it about 8 weeks....

Worth the wait though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken m sport View Post
Guys could you post some pics of your ED please, external & interior.

Thanks
Will do over the weekend....

Also a few comments have been made about the wheels. I think the wheels look awesome.... Exactly the same size as the 118D I had with 205/55 R16 tyres.

I think bigger alloys look good on coupes but on a saloon these ones look just right.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #53
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbijnal View Post
Also a few comments have been made about the wheels. I think the wheels look awesome.... Exactly the same size as the 118D I had with 205/55 R16 tyres.

I think bigger alloys look good on coupes but on a saloon these ones look just right.
I have the same tyres on my E91 and think they look fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #54
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

It's the styling of these LCIs that looks great. They got it so right any wheels look good, as i said, if only they made an estate...
      05-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #55
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Well Ive had the ED for just over 24 hours, and I'm just so impressed, plenty of power(obviously not compared to my normal cars), very smooth and easy to drive - Just not what you'd think, considering the emissions etc. Oh and the ride is great without the RFT - Come on BMW pull your act together and dump these tyres once and for all

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #56
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Discount ?

Looking seriously at an ED320 for my next car if funds allow, Has anyone managed to get any sort of discount, other than the complimentary upgrades from BMW
Bob [getting close to retirement]
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #57
corbijnal
Rep

Another couple of things I've noticed....

1. Driving in low revs is smooth, very smooth. A few times I've been driving in 3rd and slowed down and the indicator says switch to 2nd but the engine is happy trundling along at just under 1000 rpm... This must be due to the fly wheel? My old car would have sounded like it was about to stall.

2. I took the car on the back roads home on Saturday. Very nice smooth ride. I used to once a week drive home this way as it's a lovely slow scenic route through some nice villages. I stopped doing it with my 118D as the car never felt comfortable driving on the back roads. It seemed to be much more suited to motorway cruising. This 320d ED is so nice and smooth to drive on the back roads. Could be due to the non run flats?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #58
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

I would drive my normal 320d economically for a comparison of mpg but I'm having far too much fun driving enthusiastically!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #59
bencookman
United_States
Rep

Just a quick update after 2 weeks in the 320d ED.

Big plus on the ride comfort on non-RFTs - very comfortable but composed.

Cabin still totally squeak/rattle free - this is a first - the 1er's I've previously driven have both suffered in that regard.

Average MPG on the computer continued to rise and then is now stable at 67.2mpg. This includes a weekend up to the Lake District so it's much more representative of varying driving conditions than just my daily commute.

On the negatives...
Vermillion Red is a disappointment in dull weather - only when the sun shines does it do the car any favours.

Definitely should have specified sports seats!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencookman View Post
Big plus on the ride comfort on non-RFTs - very comfortable but composed.

Cabin still totally squeak/rattle free - this is a first - the 1er's I've previously driven have both suffered in that regard.

Average MPG on the computer continued to rise and then is now stable at 67.2mpg. This includes a weekend up to the Lake District so it's much more representative of varying driving conditions than just my daily commute.

On the negatives...
Vermillion Red is a disappointment in dull weather - only when the sun shines does it do the car any favours.

Definitely should have specified sports seats!
Good to hear the mpg is holding over mixed driving. Pleased the ride is better... is it a bit bouncy on poor surfaces? Some report a poor composure on the other non run-flat models, or does this model get decent damping as it comes specifically with the non run-flat wheel set?

Colour... I know what you mean, even my Mystic Blue is totally flat and boring without bright sunshine.

Seats... sports are a must IMO, to get the comfort and adjustment.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #61
Daz(Teesside)
Rep

I'm about to order this car through work, I have about £1,250 left over for upgrades.
I had originally planned on the Visibility Package, Gloss Black Interior and Electric Folding Mirrors however you have me thinking about this now because of the comments about the seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #62
bencookman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz(Teesside) View Post
I'm about to order this car through work, I have about £1,250 left over for upgrades.
I had originally planned on the Visibility Package, Gloss Black Interior and Electric Folding Mirrors however you have me thinking about this now because of the comments about the seats.
If I were you, I'd definitely specify the sports seats, but also, certainly think about getting cruise control. It's an easy way to help with saving fuel, and I'm surprised it doesn't come as standard on a car designed with this in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #63
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
I'm going to be placing my order for this model (as a Company Car) tomorrow.

Our lease company informed me that the current BMW offers are applicable to them at the time of ordering.....not sure if they are for you but it could be worth a try?

BMW 3-Series Saloon Offers

I'm going to go with Cloth/Leather, Sports Seats and Heated Seats from the Upgrade Two option....I'm specifying/paying for the Visibility Pack as this works out less BIK wise.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #64
Daz(Teesside)
Rep

I actually checked this on Tuesday and unfortunately they car company say those free options aren't an option due to the discounts they already receive.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #65
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I actually checked this on Tuesday and unfortunately they car company say those free options aren't an option due to the discounts they already receive.
That's a shame.

Still, nice car - bet you can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #66
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Placed my order today....

I too have gone for it in Alpine White with the following extras:

Visibility Pack
Full Leather (Black)