E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

05-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #2707
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey90 View Post
N52 engine support?
If you have a ZF6 transmission, it should. Check the link below to verify.

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/#support
      05-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #2708
type-dRew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street of Rage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
I wouldn't worry about harsh shifts. I'd bet the smooth shifts are wearing your trans more than the quick uncomfortable shifts.
Lol are you for real?
Absolutely. The faster the shift, the less wear on the clutch.
      05-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #2709
924er
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Absolutely. The faster the shift, the less wear on the clutch.
yeah but there is a difference between a fast smooth shift, compared to a mechanically bucking harsh shift

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #2710
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Your at the threshold for clutch A so you need to do some work ASAP. The adaption values are only indicator of clutch wear given the rest of the mechatronics are perfect and it is never the case.

At least 90% time solenoids go bad and you end up have high adaption values. I was at 400 for both Clutch A and E and now i am at 50 for the both after replacing the solenoids .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
On the "going through the gear"s logs, where the car upshifts in the meat of the mid range torque the shifts are slower than if I shift at the top of the RPM band and there is a slight RPM spike after it gets into the next gear. We see the DME hold off on fully ramping the timing back up fully until the RPM spike settles which is probably a good thing for the tranny. Whereas if I upshift at the top of the RPM band the shift is a lot quicker and there is no post shift RPM spike

Is this expected behavior? Possibly indicative of the tranny being worn out? Maybe I should increase the 2 --> 3 and 3 - > 4 upshift sliders in Xhp so it upshifts higher in the RPM band to prevent this? Maybe something engine tuning can help with?

Car has 83K miles on it. Put new tranny fluid and mechatronics seal in it around 75K miles Screenshot of adaptation values included too.

3 "going through the gears" - https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/3-going-through-gears-17

2 more "going through the gears" - https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/2-more...hrough-gears-1

2 top of RPM band upshift - https://datazap.me/u/mfish123/2-3rd-4th-upshifts
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #2711
turbohugh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 E39 M5 / 1996 E36 328Vert

I have a 08 335i. My car is said to need a new transmission, so I'm biting the bullet [multiple e-ratio monitoring failure codes].

I need to flash back to stock correct? with a new transmission and TCU my mechanic says my license wont work. I've literally spent the past hour trying to find the flash to stock options and cannot.
Any help with this ? Car supposed to be dropped off at 9am tomorrow morning.

thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #2712
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post
I have a 08 335i. My car is said to need a new transmission, so I'm biting the bullet [multiple e-ratio monitoring failure codes].

I need to flash back to stock correct? with a new transmission and TCU my mechanic says my license wont work. I've literally spent the past hour trying to find the flash to stock options and cannot.

thanks again.

Click on the top left, open misc menu, press flash stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #2713
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
yeah but there is a difference between a fast smooth shift, compared to a mechanically bucking harsh shift
No worries...that calibration is running on thousands of 335i cars for summarized millions of miles now. We drive our dev-car regularly on the race-track as well and watch adaptions closely. There's absolutely no evidence of any premature wear.

If there was, we would adapt the calibration.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #2714
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Your at the threshold for clutch A so you need to do some work ASAP. The adaption values are only indicator of clutch wear given the rest of the mechatronics are perfect and it is never the case.

At least 90% time solenoids go bad and you end up have high adaption values. I was at 400 for both Clutch A and E and now i am at 50 for the both after replacing the solenoids .
Very true, with the Exception of the E-Clutch. Thats actually the bushing going bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #2715
type-dRew
Lieutenant
Rep

Is it possible to change rear end gear ratio in xhp?
      05-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #2716
type-dRew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Where did you get your solenoids from? I haven't found many options.
      05-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #2717
NZD54
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I'm planning on flashing MHD and xHP tonight and just have a couple of questions if anyone could help:

1. Do I need to do them in any specific order? (e.g. MHD first)

2. I'm struggling to decide between xHP stage 2 and stage 3. A lot of my driving is around town with passengers so I'm concerned the D mode in stage 3 might be too harsh - does anyone have any suggestions with which way to go?

How much difference is there between the D/S/M modes in 2 and 3?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #2718
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZD54 View Post
I'm planning on flashing MHD and xHP tonight and just have a couple of questions if anyone could help:

2. I'm struggling to decide between xHP stage 2 and stage 3. A lot of my driving is around town with passengers so I'm concerned the D mode in stage 3 might be too harsh - does anyone have any suggestions with which way to go?

Thanks!
Quote:

Thanks!
Doesn't matter the order. If needed you could always go back and change an option if needed. Changing options takes a minute to flash. Initial flash takes like 20 mins.

Stage 3. D mode is perfect for every aspect of driving. I love it. S and M mode are aggressive. They don't like to be going slow. If in S or M mode you need to be getting it or it'll shift hard. Maybe anticipating the power?
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 1
NZD544.50

05-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #2719
type-dRew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
If anything I wish D was more aggressive on stage 3. There is nothing harsh about it, it just feels like stock with quicker shifts.

And a lot, D, S and Manual are all completely different from each other, its actually pretty fun having so many options for how it drives.

I flashed XHP first when I did them at same time, but I doubt it matters. Just make sure you select XHP flashed trans on mhd when you flash if you're N54.
      05-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #2720
NZD54
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
If anything I wish D was more aggressive on stage 3. There is nothing harsh about it, it just feels like stock with quicker shifts.

And a lot, D, S and Manual are all completely different from each other, its actually pretty fun having so many options for how it drives.

I flashed XHP first when I did them at same time, but I doubt it matters. Just make sure you select XHP flashed trans on mhd when you flash if you're N54.
Thanks for the input guys. Flashed both MHD and xHP today - went with stage 3. Have only driven a couple of miles so far to test it out but I'm impressed at how smooth D mode is, and how much faster the shifts in M are. Night and day!

Ended up flashing MHD with general 6AT selected, then xHP, then re-flashing the map on MHD with xHP tuned transmission selected (second MHD map change only took one min).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #2721
turbohugh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
Quote:

thanks again.

Quote:
Quote:

thanks again.

I think i was sleepy-stupid because the next morning i read the docs for 3 minutes while drinking coffee and got it done .
I love the product and the documentation is very good.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #2722
turbohugh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

thanks again.

Quote:
Quote:

thanks again.

Thanks . I think i was sleepy-stupid because the next morning 1 coffee and 3 minutes into the easy to follow documentation i got it done. I love the product and the documentation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #2723
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Just to clarify the "wear" issue on shifts. Smooth shifts are because the clutches are slipping more to provide a smooth shift. To me this is the definition of wear related to shifts. Harsh shifts can break hard parts but very little difference in wear on hard parts. Unless your making more than 600 ft/lbs of torque I doubt you will break anything on an upshift. Bushings, bearings, solenoids, and seals will just wear or age over time and mileage. As with any mod using xHP may expose your "weak link"

When I say harsh shifts can break hard parts it's not specifically this transmission but something I owned before that twisted out the torque converter splines after installing an aggressive shift kit (valve body mod)

xHP has specifically designed their software to improve the transmission shifts within reasonable limits to keep the transmission intact. Pushing anything to the limit will naturally cause more wear and tear and the possibility of failure.
144,000+ miles, MHD, VRSF 5" FMIC, Aluminum charge pipe. E50 tune by Wedge Performance. 3" Catless DP's. Secondary Cat Delete. DCI cold side w/silicone Inlets. N20 TMAP, "Stage 2" Walbro 450 LPFP. xHP Stage 3. 1/4 mile 12.079sec @ 118.79mph. (2.03 60')Before xHP flash and rear cat delete.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #2724
Kuj0n
Poland
Rep
Drives: E91 M47TU2

Quote:
If you have additional questions, feel free to ask here directly, shoot us a PM, contact us through our Website or follow us on Facebook!
Hi
I have already used "contact us" option on your website but I just found this thread so maybe here I will get faster answer.
I have flashed stage 1 in my BMW e91 320D M47D20O2 VU31 (TCU HW: 7556039). Before I will buy stage 2 I want to ask:
1) Is Gear display turned on in version Stage2 v1.0? In stage 1 and 3 there is a choice to make between v1.0 and v1.1. I'm asking because it's working in my car and I want to keep it turned on.
2) Are you planing to do some future updates for this gearbox? I know that this gearbox is very old, I'm just curious.
greetings
Mateusz
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #2725
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Very true, with the Exception of the E-Clutch. Thats actually the bushing going bad.
Clutch E bushing is weak point and it is a hit or miss. ZF had to change material in the bushing to comply to EU regulations so many car got affected by premature wear. Clutch E bushing wear causes a significant leak so it typical burns up quickly with all the other related issue. Most people will be okay with solenoids update but at 140KM it time for new mechatronic assembly. if one want to get 300KM out the transmision
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #2726
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get your solenoids from? I haven't found many options.
I changed the Mechatronics as it was lower risk than doing it twice. You can get solenoids and the foam strip from any ZF dealer. The solenoids are below and the foam strip is hard to find but I listed a vendor below. The adoption after the install has to be done to the letter or your going to have issues. It take 1K-2K miles for the adaption to settle.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...e-106829804601

https://zftranspart.pinnaclecart.com...product&id=148

https://www.thectsc.com/products/sol...ft-38-115.html
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #2727
type-dRew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I changed the Mechatronics as it was lower risk than doing it twice. You can get solenoids and the foam strip from any ZF dealer. The solenoids are below and the foam strip is hard to find but I listed a vendor below. The adoption after the install has to be done to the letter or your going to have issues. It take 1K-2K miles for the adaption to settle.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...e-106829804601

https://zftranspart.pinnaclecart.com...product&id=148

https://www.thectsc.com/products/sol...ft-38-115.html
Thank you
      Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #2728
Hansov
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60

My car is behaving strange with stage 3 in sport mode.
At full throttle it shifts at low rpm, thus reducing acceleration. You can see 3rd gear starts at 2k rpm and the throttle is to the floor.
It happen only from time to time and in full throttle situations.
What could be the problem? OEM soft is ok. Shall I try stage 2?

https://youtu.be/cWnaVKm0OUY

Last edited by Hansov; Yesterday at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0