E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > ProTuningFreaks Review

04-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #23
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Different issues can manifest themselves as similar. With the N55 multiple tuning issues that sort of feel the same when in the car can happen. Here are some of them:

1) Hesitation under WOT - most times just throttle closures, not hard to. No codes will show for this behaviour.

2) Backfires under WOT - car is running rich, way richer than target AFR going into 10:1 or even 9:1 range in some cases. These can be very LOUD. Sort of like a 2-step going off. This can happen while in-gear but it also can happen right as you shift into the next gear. You'll see misfire codes on the AP.

3) Car goes into "soft" limp mode with a half engine light but it does so without any associated mechanical noises and is sort of a "soft" limp - This is usually underboost and associated with a 2C57 code. Unless there's a boost leak it should be fixable with a custom tune.

4) Car goes into "hard" limp mode with a half engine light, transmission fault in the iDrive and it feels horrible in the car when it happens as there's a DME controlled fuel cut which in the car feels like a jolt as if someone hammered the brakes. It will literally feel to most people as if something broke. You'll see a 36CA code for this. It happens if requested and actual load values get too close to each other or exceed each other and the DME follows a factory failsafe routine in safely shutting everything down including the motor which when you're under WOT simply has no way of feeling anything but not-smooth. This is a factory failsafe mechanism for torque management. What this means is your tune needs to be looked at, logged and torque management including boost control adjusted. This can happen at part throttle as well as WOT.

Let us know if any questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #24
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivojoe View Post
No doubt, first time it happened I almost had a panic attack because I thought I blew my engine. The first time it popped, there was so much pressure that it disconnected my COBB chargepipe from the plastic hose that comes up from the FMIC.
We shared the same feelings when it happened the first time to us when we just picked up an N55 for tuning many moons ago If anyone's ever felt a fuel cut in another car while going WOT, well this feels 10x worse hah

BMW didn't make it easy on the N55 and we can't wait to see what surprises we have in store pushing the S55 and any new stuff they come out with down the road

Our starter maps are a very far departure from OTS maps and they've taken quite a long time to get to where they are today where we're really happy with their overall performance compared to what comes stock from the factory as well as BMW's PPK kits, Dinan's offering and OTS maps as well as some free backend flashes that people stack with a piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #25
olivojoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
I have a AP and my car is stock with the exception of a ER cp and a K&N drop in filter, do you think it's worth my while to get this done? That will be my only mods because of warranty.
Regardless of what you have mods wise, I would still go for it. The tune completely transforms the car and they set it up specific to what you have. And like everyone else says, if you add anything in the future, they modify the tune for you no charge.

I am excited to see the difference when I finally bite the bullet and get the FMIC. I just need to scrape up the cash and buy it under the radar so my wife doesn't give me anymore shit for spending money on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #26
I35it
all day
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2004 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2009 VW GTI  [0.00]
2012 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste90 View Post
I see you are in Austin....I'm right down 35 in San Antonio..
Hey I am in San Antonio and was wondering you have done this tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #27
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
We shared the same feelings when it happened the first time to us when we just picked up an N55 for tuning many moons ago If anyone's ever felt a fuel cut in another car while going WOT, well this feels 10x worse hah

BMW didn't make it easy on the N55 and we can't wait to see what surprises we have in store pushing the S55 and any new stuff they come out with down the road

Our starter maps are a very far departure from OTS maps and they've taken quite a long time to get to where they are today where we're really happy with their overall performance compared to what comes stock from the factory as well as BMW's PPK kits, Dinan's offering and OTS maps as well as some free backend flashes that people stack with a piggyback.
Would you happen to have any dyno sheets from n55 runs with your etune? I am looking for 93 octane results but am unable to find anything. A lot of us are eager to use your etune but there are no hard results anywhere to show us expected/possible gains. (At least not that I can find)

This thread could definitely use your input if you have dyno results:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117963
      04-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #28
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Would you happen to have any dyno sheets from n55 runs with your etune? I am looking for 93 octane results but am unable to find anything. A lot of us are eager to use your etune but there are no hard results anywhere to show us expected/possible gains. (At least not that I can find)

This thread could definitely use your input if you have dyno results:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117963
We honestly wish more of our customers had the time to participate on this and other BMW forums/communities and post reviews and do dynos/dyno days but the simple fact of life has always been that most people by far simply don't.

Having said that here's one from a Dyno Dynamics on pump gas and FBO we got a few weeks back from an OEM N55 turbo car with stock map, OTS Stage 2+Agg and our protune overlayed over the top of each other.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #29
Ghoste90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I35it View Post
Yes I am tuned by ptf..stage 2 right now
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #30
I35it
all day
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2004 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2009 VW GTI  [0.00]
2012 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste90
Quote:
Yes I am tuned by ptf..stage 2 right now
If you ever have free time I would love to go for a ride. I am FBO with e85 but I run jb4
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #31
chrisw27
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i N55 DCT

To add my two cents:
I am currently in the process of the last few iterations of a custom map (e-tune) with Dzenno. Currently i only have VRSF FMIC, CP and 98RON.

Observations:
The power increase is significant over the cobb OTS. Unfortunately no dyno charts to substantiate, but the feel behind the wheel is obvious. The first PTF map we tried, i was quite shocked at the difference.

Throttle response is also much improved over OTS 1+ Agg, which was noticeably more laggy than the stock tuning.

Power delivery is also much smoother, and the ability to eliminate isolated idiosyncrasies like throttle closures is actually worth as much as the power increase.

Downsides: (not really downsides, rather considerations)
Highlights weaknesses in other areas. E.g, im still on the oem runflats, and on occasions i see wheelspin in 3rd gear. Will get this fixed shortly with better tyres.
Highlights the limitations of the N55 turbo, with noticeable power fall off past 5K or so. Note this is not induced by the PTF map, it simply is more obvious because of the much better mid-range. A stage 1 turbo upgrade can rectify this, and is something im seriously considering.
Also, the bug WILL bite! You think "All i want is a tune which ill get properly dialed in by PTF". Then youll want more. Being able to go FBO in steps and have a new map made is a big advantage.

Summary: Having spent the money on a Cobb AP, it is an absolute no brainer to have it properly tuned, especially considering the small cost in doing so. Ive had no issues working with PTF at all and highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
Ghoste90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
If you ever have free time I would love to go for a ride. I am FBO with e85 but I run jb4
Yea man..shoot me a pm... Are you in eurotic?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #33
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

Quote:
Different issues can manifest themselves as similar. With the N55 multiple tuning issues that sort of feel the same when in the car can happen. Here are some of them:

4) Car goes into "hard" limp mode with a half engine light, transmission fault in the iDrive and it feels horrible in the car when it happens as there's a DME controlled fuel cut which in the car feels like a jolt as if someone hammered the brakes. It will literally feel to most people as if something broke. You'll see a 36CA code for this. It happens if requested and actual load values get too close to each other or exceed each other and the DME follows a factory failsafe routine in safely shutting everything down including the motor which when you're under WOT simply has no way of feeling anything but not-smooth. This is a factory failsafe mechanism for torque management. What this means is your tune needs to be looked at, logged and torque management including boost control adjusted. This can happen at part throttle as well as WOT.

Let us know if any questions.
I know it's you business so I understand if you would prefer not to go into much more detail on this - with that said, I'm very interested in a discussion about it.

The 36CA code is the biggest problem I've run into and I have thoughts but it's difficult to know for sure. Seems the table which has a lot to do with it is the torque effective divisor fuel. I want to say this calculates how much torque the car is actually producing based on AFR. In general a lower <14.7 AFR = less power, and in turn the car needs to produce more boost and timing to meet the modeled torque limits. My thought is this needs to be raised in some situations, particularly when you start editing AFR tables or use alternative fuel, e85 etc.

Edit: On second thought, this car is a pain in my ass. Thirdly, I didn't realize quite how much the stg 2 aggressive OTS maps adjusted the last row in the Load to Torque limit table, kinda leaning more towards this now.
Sorry if I'm leading us off topic.

Last edited by tke344; 04-23-2015 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #34
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

This was PTF stage 2+ tune on shell 93 octane. Dynojet with temps in the 70's. n I've been very happy with the PTF pro tune and for bolt-ons and OEM turbo this is pretty good for the N55. Personally I really like the flash tunes better than piggies and the COBB AP with PTF tune is the shit that killed elvis in my opinion!

My clutch was slipping and the operator also stated possible wheel spin on the dyno. It was hard to get a good pull without spin or clutch slip. I imagine the numbers or the curve would have been better.

335is clutch going in soon.

The torque explains my screen name!

Last edited by ONDEMAND; 04-23-2015 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: photo
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #35
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:

I am in contact with Dzenno now as I have the Dinan Stage II Tune and I am hoping your ProTune using Cobb will be a "material" lift over the performance over Dinan as you indicate!
      04-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #36
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I am in contact with Dzenno now as I have the Dinan Stage II Tune and I am hoping your ProTune using Cobb will be a "material" lift over the performance over Dinan as you indicate!
Dinan tunes are super conservative compared to what you can get with a custom protune from these guys. Looking forward to hearing your feedback actually on the differences. Did you ever dyno your Dinan tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #37
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
Dinan tunes are super conservative compared to what you can get with a custom protune from these guys. Looking forward to hearing your feedback actually on the differences. Did you ever dyno your Dinan tune?
I amthinking of having my car dynoed at present so that I can get a base in the event that I do make the transition over to Cobb and PTF's. ANy recommended places in the GTA for gettuing a dyno done?
      04-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #38
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
I amthinking of having my car dynoed at present so that I can get a base in the event that I do make the transition over to Cobb and PTF's. ANy recommended places in the GTA for gettuing a dyno done?
We're in the GTA.

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/pages/contact-us

Our RWD dyno is in Oakville just off of Trafalgar and QEW.

Email us for any other details please.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #39
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
This was PTF stage 2+ tune on shell 93 octane. Dynojet with temps in the 70's. n I've been very happy with the PTF pro tune and for bolt-ons and OEM turbo this is pretty good for the N55. Personally I really like the flash tunes better than piggies and the COBB AP with PTF tune is the shit that killed elvis in my opinion!

My clutch was slipping and the operator also stated possible wheel spin on the dyno. It was hard to get a good pull without spin or clutch slip. I imagine the numbers or the curve would have been better.

335is clutch going in soon.

The torque explains my screen name!
I had my car dyno'd today. What exactly have you had done to your car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #40
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
ETS Intercooler, BMS Catless DP, BMS Intake, ER Chargepipe and the Stage 2+ PTF Tune with shell 93 octane.

Once i get the 335is/550i clutch in (its sitting in my garage waiting) i plan to dyno again and then look at a new map for 100 octane race gas!
      05-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting - what are your mods?

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #42
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5809 View Post
Interesting - what are your mods?
I am stock other than the Dinan Stage II tune. What is interesting about it? Curious as to your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #43
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
I am stock other than the Dinan Stage II tune. What is interesting about it? Curious as to your thoughts.
Why would you have a stage 2 tune without the required bolt ons?
      05-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #44
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Why would you have a stage 2 tune without the required bolt ons?
For the Dinan Stage II tune, there are no required bolt ons. This type of tune is similar in approach as Cobb or others in that they do not require anything else unless you want to add hardware and utilize different configurations which they have mapped.
Appreciate 0