E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Heated Seat Retrofit

11-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #23
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

In doing a little more research (on the leather-sport seats), I was able to find that the sport seat heated elements are not available for US cars, but for European cars, you can get all three elements separately from the seat cushion:

Heating element, sports seat leather - 64116973943 $107.88
Heating element, sports backrest - 64117140539 $83.47
Heater element, thigh support - 64117138803 $20.88

Obviously, I would need two of each part and those are list prices, so the parts should be able to be had for less.... I'm thinking that the modules could be salvage yard items, as they are quite expensive. More R&D to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #24
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

What color leather? I've got some heated non-sport seats that I dont want but would love some non-heated sport seats
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
What color leather? I've got some heated non-sport seats that I dont want but would love some non-heated sport seats
Mmmmm...nah...sorry. I'm happy with my sports seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #26
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
im glad i got the booty warmers. this sounds like a awesome project though
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
jreich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
In doing a little more research (on the leather-sport seats), I was able to find that the sport seat heated elements are not available for US cars, but for European cars, you can get all three elements separately from the seat cushion:

Heating element, sports seat leather - 64116973943 $107.88
Heating element, sports backrest - 64117140539 $83.47
Heater element, thigh support - 64117138803 $20.88

Obviously, I would need two of each part and those are list prices, so the parts should be able to be had for less.... I'm thinking that the modules could be salvage yard items, as they are quite expensive. More R&D to come...
Just some FYI... I wanted heated seats for my old dodge ram pickup...I ended up buying a high quality kit on ebay that worked really well. It came with integrated temperature sensors as well. It came with sticky tape on the heating element corners to secure it to the foam. I also sprayed some 3M automotive glue on there and it worked fine. Had two different temperature settings as well. I think the kit for both seats was around 200 dollars.

So Booster, are the part # for the leather seat skins with the heating elements sew into the seat skin? I wouldnt mind upgrading my sport seat vinyl to leather if all I needed to buy were the skins.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #28
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
Just some FYI... I wanted heated seats for my old dodge ram pickup...I ended up buying a high quality kit on ebay that worked really well. It came with integrated temperature sensors as well. It came with sticky tape on the heating element corners to secure it to the foam. I also sprayed some 3M automotive glue on there and it worked fine. Had two different temperature settings as well. I think the kit for both seats was around 200 dollars.

So Booster, are the part # for the leather seat skins with the heating elements sew into the seat skin? I wouldnt mind upgrading my sport seat vinyl to leather if all I needed to buy were the skins.

I really wanted to go with the OEM grids, due to the sensitivity to the airbag (weight) sensors in the seat, as well as some concerns I had regarding the placement and the leather. I also wanted to utilize the factory switches and diagnostics should something break. I put aftermarket seat heaters in my wife's Acura, but wasn't as concerned with its leather - and it doesn't have the sensors or whatever on the seats that affect the way the airbags deploy like the E90. (As a side note, I did notice that Dodge actually makes a seat heater retrofit kit for the newer Ram pickups.)

The part numbers I found are just for the heating grids sold on a European 335d with sport seats - they are not sewn into the leather like some makes. In fact, the OEM ones sold in the U.S. are a part of the seat foam-cushion, and the leather portions go over it.

I thinking the best bet is to order the new grids, and get the seat modules and switches from a salvage yard. I'm thinking this could be a $600 retrofit, assuming I do the recoding.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #29
toddhec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Love following this post - looking forward to doing this on my own 335i once I feel I have all the right pieces together. I found a OEM switch panel on ebay - Check, now just need the grids and the seat module(s?). I plan to put the modules in and somehow get the car recoded and test the elements BEFORE putting them into the seat baffles to make sure everything checks out before yanking the upholstery apart.

Regarding the recode - how do you go about recoding yourself? I've recoded an audi & VW before but I can't find much online about how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
call me a noob, but wouldn't it be easier to either go to a junk yard and find a bmw with heated seats, or order them from some place like tischer, order the panel, order the modules, and just hook everything up?

I'm also interested in doing this, and would ideally either order COMPLETE seats (with memory) and install them in plug-n-play fashion....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #31
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
call me a noob, but wouldn't it be easier to either go to a junk yard and find a bmw with heated seats, or order them from some place like tischer, order the panel, order the modules, and just hook everything up?

I'm also interested in doing this, and would ideally either order COMPLETE seats (with memory) and install them in plug-n-play fashion....
Umm...sure...but have you priced out sports seats in leather (with memory and heat option) - not really feasible. I've priced out the parts and it can be done for much, much cheaper if you gets the modules from a salvage yard.

Maybe you can price out the seats for us and let us know, but I'm sure you'll be shocked...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #32
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Umm...sure...but have you priced out sports seats in leather (with memory and heat option) - not really feasible. I've priced out the parts and it can be done for much, much cheaper if you gets the modules from a salvage yard.

Maybe you can price out the seats for us and let us know, but I'm sure you'll be shocked...
yeah but what about non-sport seats...in my case for my e90, i've got the regular leather seats (non sport package) so couldn't i just either find some junked heated seats, the control module, and the switch panel for the center console?

This would negate the issue with having to cut the seats open to insert heating elements, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #33
toddhec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Does anyone know how to recode the car? Does anyone know what the code is to add/change to enable the heated seats?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #34
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
yeah but what about non-sport seats...in my case for my e90, i've got the regular leather seats (non sport package) so couldn't i just either find some junked heated seats, the control module, and the switch panel for the center console?
Maybe... but not too many totalled cars wherre the airbags don't blow, and besides, as he has already said, yards KNOW what seats cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #35
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhec View Post
Does anyone know how to recode the car? Does anyone know what the code is to add/change to enable the heated seats?
Gonna be another Autologic process. NOt dealer capable, in the States, I bet.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #36
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't done this yet, but am gathering parts now.

I would image the VO need to be changed - my guess is that you add option code "494".
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #37
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
'Tis the season, and my wife's caboose could be warmer. Of course, I didn't get the car new, so I'm suffering with 40 degree temps (okay, not that cold compared to some of you) and I'm ready for my next retrofit project.

...and before you say it, NO - I don't want to add some aftermarket grids and switches. I want it to act like, perform like, and be otherwise transparent that the car did not come factory equipped with heated seats.

I've been doing a little homework. What I've learned (or think I've learned):

1) BMW does make a heated seat retrofit kit for the E90 for ECE cars only. This kit does not apply to cars with Sport seats (which I have) and does not include the appropriate switch panel that goes in the center console, which they tell you to order separately depending on other options installed (sunshade/front PDC/etc...)

2) In looking at ECE parts diagrams, all of the seat heater grids/elements are available separately. However, in looking at the US parts diagrams, elements are NOT listed (at all), leading me to believe that the elements may come as part of the leather covers or as part of the foam upholstery and are not available without them. This in turn would lead me to believe that all US replacement parts have the elements on them already - does this mean that all US cars are already equipped with the elements on them already?!?!

3) In looking at the switch panel, it appears that it plugs into the back of the heater & A/C control panel. I've been told that this retrofit still won't work unless the car is coded (Vehicle Order change - adding 494?) to reflect the add of heated seats.

4) It appears that there are different seat modules for vehicles with heated seats. This would be consistent with the ECE retrofit kit which replaces the seat modules (and they are different depending on whether or not the car has memory seats.)

Homework to be done:

a) Check the car - is it already equipped with the elements? This is 75% of the battle.

b) Confirm the vehicle order add thing - this makes it a little more complicated for the average owner since most dealers won't touch it.

c) Confirm that the rest of the wiring is there at the seat area. Since the modules are different, it would lead me to believe that the wiring is there.

Anyone interested?
did you manage to fit the seat heaters, i have a spare pair of heated seats i want to fit but cant find out if they will work with the car can you tell me what parts i would need and if the switches will plug into the ac panel. my car has full electric memory seats thanks for any help just noticed that you say the switches will plug into the ac panel do you know if all the ac panels have a plug for this

Last edited by acerboo; 03-09-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #38
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
fudge... I would really like to add STOCK heated seats to my car, but if it requires programming and changing my VO, this sounds like a complicated thing....only reason I wouldn't go aftermarket heaters, is due to the fact that the seats would be OEM, and not aftermarket heated modified ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #39
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

We are looking at the recoding with Autologic right now for audio reasons... wonder if they offer it for this, since the EU has the upgrade package... I'd like heated seats, too...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #40
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
did you manage to fit the seat heaters, i have a spare pair of heated seats i want to fit but cant find out if they will work with the car can you tell me what parts i would need and if the switches will plug into the ac panel. my car has full electric memory seats thanks for any help just noticed that you say the switches will plug into the ac panel do you know if all the ac panels have a plug for this
Yes - well, at least the dual-climate control cars do. There is a socket in the back where the seat heater switch-bar plugs into.

So far, I have installed the switches (kinda got them as part of a deal) and they light up and all, but are inoperative. I plan to get some seat modules (used) - they are very expensive new and I haven't found correct salvage ones yet. I will change the VO when I get the modules and some grids to test it out (before ripping the seats out & apart...)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #41
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

I can help you with this as I did this retrofit to my E46 M3 in January. The cars aren't wired, and the seats do not have the elements in them. BMW aren't silly they won't waste money by putting in wiring for an option not selected as it costs them money.

Here is the DIY post for the E46http://www.m3torque.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111

I am thinking seriously about doing this to my mother's E90 320i and got the EBA guide this morning. It looks straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #42
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
I can help you with this as I did this retrofit to my E46 M3 in January. The cars aren't wired, and the seats do not have the elements in them. BMW aren't silly they won't waste money by putting in wiring for an option not selected as it costs them money.

Here is the DIY post for the E46http://www.m3torque.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111

I am thinking seriously about doing this to my mother's E90 320i and got the EBA guide this morning. It looks straight forward.

I do believe that the wiring (up to the seats) is already setup on the E90 - at least up to the point of the seat module. Check out these "retrofit" kit instructions (non-sport seats only) available in Europe. I think I can adapt this kit and make it work for my sport seats (by either buying the heating grids that apply to my seats OR by purchasing my own correct OEM seat modules and wiring it up myself.) Either way, I think its completely possible..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 Heated Seat Retrofit.pdf (1.21 MB, 5404 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #43
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
I do believe that the wiring (up to the seats) is already setup on the E90 - at least up to the point of the seat module. Check out these "retrofit" kit instructions (non-sport seats only) available in Europe. I think I can adapt this kit and make it work for my sport seats (by either buying the heating grids that apply to my seats OR by purchasing my own correct OEM seat modules and wiring it up myself.) Either way, I think its completely possible..
No it's not as the retrofit kit comes with the looms required, at least for non sports seats anyway.

Easiest way to tell is look at the pin outs on plugs X279 and X275 under yor seat.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #44
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

im picking the seats up tomorrow, these are already heated and will have the modules needed, im just hoping the socket is in the back of the ac unit to plug the switches into, does anyone know how to remove the switches and ac panel? just need to get the switches - very expensive
Appreciate 0