E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > OBD II Port Not Working

10-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Question OBD II Port Not Working

Checked the fuses behind the glove box which was like performing surgery
Checked the wires and none are chafed
All the pins are in place

Connected to Bav Tech diagnostic tool and cannot read/write from/to port.

The port does have power though...

At loss...

Dealer doesn't want to know. They are blaming me for connecting to the port and using Bav Tech. Claiming that Bav Tech has damaged the port and taken a toll on the ECU.

It is an official paid for diagnostic tool and I see no reason why it would do that. It's not like I code... I just read and clear DTC's and take measuring blocks.

Dealer tried to connect to port and it would not respond.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Do you have JB4 or anything like that?
If yes, turn that off.
      10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ok so it is not what I thought it was... it worked for a while but then same old so I am now thinking dodgy wire or fuse...

There is no OBD listed on my fuse diagram/card which is placed behind the glove box. It could be an intermittent problem with the fuse but I need to know which one it might be...

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

you may have better luck posting in the US Side of the forum where they have more coders who possibly have expereicned this issue...

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox View Post
Ok so it is not what I thought it was... it worked for a while but then same old so I am now thinking dodgy wire or fuse...

There is no OBD listed on my fuse diagram/card which is placed behind the glove box. It could be an intermittent problem with the fuse but I need to know which one it might be...

Any help appreciated.
You should mention all the mods / security system and all other things done to your car.
      10-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Should be fuse 74 mate, 5 amp

Cheers

Garry
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't have a fuse 74
The fuse assignment card only goes up to 70

Thinking of taking a multimeter to the pins but do not know which pin should read what...
Would rather check the fuses first though
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
stevens
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

you do have the ignition on dont you (sorry to state the obvious but you never know).

if its intermittent it wont be a fuse, whats changed since it last worked? check earths etc.

If its not intermittent check Cig lighter fuse and possibly (got from another forum) F15/25.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Igntion is on...
Sometimes fuses do go intermittently but I was more interested in where else the OBDII gets its power from... I think the K line is on a different fuse but did not get around to checking the voltage on this.

At the end of the day the car starts... the obd has power... and it is just the read/write aspect which is of concern... I've checked for bent pins... could be the junction box... investigating behind the glovebox tomorrow.

Cars!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
BlackBB6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Any luck with this? Having the same problem unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
jpg74
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Same problem here.Simple OBD II read .Exhausted all my options.Checked wiring ,fuses..etc.
Tried two E90's with same negative results.
Im starting to think that it has to do with battery registering or lack of.My friends E90 has no mods whatsoever.
Only thing changed is NON oem battery .
Same as mine newly acquired 335i .
My professional scanner Launch x431 and generic one wont connect.
My Nissan works fine with both of them.Go figure.
Since car has Service Engine Soon light on i cant let it go.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox View Post
2. I say luckily because I have an immobilizer connected to the port and they were being really funny about it blaming the after market part. Common sense dictates that this was located further away from the Junction Box so it could not have interfered with wiring on that side. Secondly the immobilizer itself is at fault too but this is due to be replaced. In light of this I had to line their pockets with £160 for them to investigate.
No offense but BMW is correct. Your installer would have used junction box to get the power and if immobilizer go faulty, it may effect the junction box.
      02-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Deluvio2527
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Igntion is on...
Sometimes fuses do go intermittently but I was more interested in where else the OBDII gets its power from... I think the K line is on a different fuse but did not get around to checking the voltage on this.

At the end of the day the car starts... the obd has power... and it is just the read/write aspect which is of concern... I've checked for bent pins... could be the junction box... investigating behind the glovebox tomorrow.

Cars!!!!
what's up bro! How did you solve this issue? I'm having the exactly the same problem rightnow.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluvio2527 View Post
Quote:
Igntion is on...

Cars!!!!
what's up bro! How did you solve this issue? I'm having the exactly the same problem rightnow.
Junction box had water ingress. Warranty repair. The ECU also died from water ingress and was covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
Deluvio2527
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluvio2527 View Post
Quote:
Igntion is on...

Cars!!!!
Junction box had water ingress. Warranty repair. The ECU also died from water ingress and was covered under warranty.
thanks for answering my question bro, had the car for 8 years now. warranty is not my option. will buy the parts now. thanks again really appreciate man
Appreciate 0