E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Supercharger stuff (MILVs+AA+BPC)

08-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #441
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
It would be ideal to have the filter up top for many reasons. Less hydrolock chance, easier to change or clean when it gets dirty, being able to inspect it, etc.

AEM makes this anti hydrolock coupler: https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/air_bypass_valve.aspx

No idea if or how well it works. But it might be a temporary solution to put your mind at ease(if it works).

I can't stand bad noises in my car. I have gear whine, turbo whine, etc. the NVH for all of my mods do not bother me, if it should be there making that noise etc. But I hate the sound of something loose or that makes noise when it should not. With a passenger who does not know cars I feel it makes the car feel like a hack job. Adding parts that dont fit or work correctly I assume is in their mind. With what I have invested, like you, I want it to work and sound right God damnit!

Last edited by Torgus; 08-20-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      08-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #442
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
It would be ideal to have the filter up top for many reasons. Less hydrolock chance, easier to change or clean when it gets dirty, being able to inspect it, etc.

AEM makes this anti hydrolock coupler: https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/air_bypass_valve.aspx

No idea if or how well it works. But it might be a temporary solution to put your mind at ease(if it works).

I can't stand bad noises in my car. I have gear whine, turbo whine, etc. the NVH for all of my mods do not bother me, if it should be there making that noise etc. But I hate the sound of something loose or that makes noise when it should not. With a passenger who does not know cars I feel it makes the car feel like a hack job. Adding parts that dont fit or work correctly I assume is in their mind. With what I have invested, like you, I want it to work and sound right God damnit!
Thanks for that link!
will definitely look into that!

I feel you on the "bad noises."
I want them gnarly motor mounts, wouldnt care.
But tire rubbing like that? Yikes.
I rolled into a ups today and the right I took sounded fucking horrible. Could almost equate to the sound of dragging a bumper. Terrible. Annoyed self.
gT-BMW203.00
      08-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #443
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Thanks for that link!

I rolled into a ups today and the right I took sounded fucking horrible. Could almost equate to the sound of dragging a bumper. Terrible. Annoyed self.
I know it man, and people turn their head to see what should be a bad ass BMW sounding like a cheap honda scrapping or something.

Btw...I think you should paint your hood. It would look a lot cleaner. Where I am unpainted hoods are on POS. Same with unpainted body kits etc.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      08-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #444
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that link!

I know it man, and people turn their head to see what should be a bad ass BMW sounding like a cheap honda scrapping or something.

Btw...I think you should paint your hood. It would look a lot cleaner. Where I am unpainted hoods are on POS. Same with unpainted body kits etc.
My thoughts exactly!

Aint gonna lie, thought of painting it!
And the deck lid too! Steal one cats idea and leave the edge of the kick exposed to be a lil fancy.
      08-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #445
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
My thoughts exactly!

And the deck lid too! Steal one cats idea and leave the edge of the kick exposed to be a lil fancy.
Yeah yeah leave that little bit exposed on the wing. You could leave a tiny bit exposed on the hood as well. I was going to do the same with my CF spoiler on the e92 but I said F it. Cheaper and all my cf is on the bottom of the car anyways. My BMW buddies said to leave it bare cf but I thought it was too ricey.

Like you could do the V in the middle cf and paint the rest. Look a lot more classy and still show off the cf hood. I did that with my old car. Looked great.

I would throw the stock BMW roundle on the hood. Makes it look more clean and not so aftermarket. To each their own. I dont want a Honda emblem on my car, I'll take a BMW one any day of the week. By removing it, I feel it makes it look more like a tuner car vs. embracing how much more bad ass bmws are. Just my thoughts, I've had a few

Last edited by Torgus; 08-20-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      08-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #446
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My thoughts exactly!

Yeah yeah leave that little bit exposed on the wing. You could leave a tiny bit exposed on the hood as well. I was going to do the same with my CF spoiler on the e92 but I said F it. Cheaper and all my cf is on the bottom of the car anyways. My BMW buddies said to leave it bare cf but I thought it was too ricey.

Like you could do the V in the middle cf and paint the rest. Look a lot more classy and still show off the cf hood. I did that with my old car. Looked great.

I would throw the stock BMW roundle on the hood. Makes it look more clean and not so aftermarket. To each their own. I dont want a Honda emblem on my car, I'll take a BMW one any day of the week. By removing it, I feel it makes it look more like a tuner car vs. embracing how much more bad ass bmws are. Just my thoughts, I've had a few
That V sounds sick!
There are alot of imperfections in the fiber itself... smooth coat, weird dips in the fiber. Its odd. I need to get the front bumper and rocker panels I want before going hard w/ the paintz. I have new roundels! Just unsure of what adhesive to use to lay them in... I'm wary of drilling holes into the hood o_o
      08-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #447
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Quote:
hm..... I am sure there is enough room for both the filter and the intake tube within the fender liner? Something must have been loose?

As for the hydrolock issue, I have custom made a shield in front as well as fitting one of these "dry charger" warp thing from K&N for peace of mind. There are lots of typhoons over here in Hong Kong during summer and I am yet to run into any problem. Perhaps this can be a temp solution before you can work out with the Z4 intake.
https://www.knfilters.com/blog/kn-re...ed-air-filters

On a second thought, you intake tube seems different to mind.... mine is just flat black and relatively soft.
      08-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #448
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
Quote:
hm..... I am sure there is enough room for both the filter and the intake tube within the fender liner? Something must have been loose?

As for the hydrolock issue, I have custom made a shield in front as well as fitting one of these "dry charger" warp thing from K&N for peace of mind. There are lots of typhoons over here in Hong Kong during summer and I am yet to run into any problem. Perhaps this can be a temp solution before you can work out with the Z4 intake.
https://www.knfilters.com/blog/kn-re...ed-air-filters

On a second thought, you intake tube seems different to mind.... mine is just flat black and relatively soft.
Yeah boy, that shit is t h i c c.
Honestly dont mind driving it sparingly on a good day now that I have a second car.
At this point, I'd like for it to make that power efficiently.. without killing fender liners.
      08-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #449
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

With the filter on the top you could try something called the Mr. 5 intake mod (n54 guys use) which is a tube running from the lower grill to the intake box, or in your case to the filter for more airflow. Also would a setup like this (plastic scoop being cut a little) with the air going towards the engine bay work for a top mount filter? Pair that with intake scoops and you got some good cold air coming in at speeds
Attached Images

2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #450
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Also another idea, I noticed you wanted to do a Z4 intake, on my Z4M (s54 engine) I did something exactly like the 350/370z and also the M3/M4/M5 have adopted. A front mount intake. Had it sticking right in front of the radiator on the left side and it worked phenomenally. Like this:
Attached Images

2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #451
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

On other ESS installs it looks like they have a molded silicone hose running from the molded plastic inlet to the air filter. It looks like it runs more forward.

Your install looks like a flexible hose running to the air filter and running straight down to the inner fender liner.

Maybe somehow it can be routed more forward rather than straight down.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
Torgus3781.50
      08-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #452
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
So ESS change their intake pipe and it fits like shit or BPC made their own? I'm still amazed BPC let a car leave their shop that way. They seem like they do great work from what I can see.

Check dis:

I would just put a long K&N filter right before the MAF where that clamp is. Honestly getting colder air means little for FI. Yeah it's nice, but you are going to heat the air up compressing it anyways and then usually cool it back down with an IC or Meth. I'm sure it will get plenty of cold enough air in that location. What is nice is it is not behind your radiator and condenser which will be significantly warmer air than ambient. You can also make a duct from your kidney grills to the filter if you really want colder air. It will also duct water to the filter.

Maybe an N54 or N52 intake duct/snorkle would work, cut it off at the bend, attach some silicone and have it point directly at the filter.

If you have any thermal probes or can borrow a multi-meter that has them(or anything else) I would bet the temp by the MAF, where I am suggesting you put the filter, and down below is within 15 degrees. AKA not enough to matter at all. Both should be getting close to ambient temp air.

With the filter higher up no more hydrolock concerns and you can see when it is getting dirty.

As for the emblem any good strong epoxy I think would work. Or buy some body adhesive: https://www.rshughes.com/p/3M-Scotch...180821165625:s

Last edited by Torgus; 08-21-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
Noir883.00
Biginboca3763.50
      08-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #453
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
I think you guys are worrying far too much about hydrolock. You'd have to submerge a lot of the filter in water for that to happen. Well, perhaps it could happen slightly easier considering you're FI. Still, at least you have the S/C to protect your engine. Unless you literally drive through ponds or it floods regularly where you live (and you're silly enough to still drive in such conditions), you'll be fine. You are a car guy so I'm sure you pay attention when driving. Now I'm not saying that other solutions couldn't be cleaner and/or better, but I simply wouldn't be worried about it, either.

Torgus , do you have any current photos of your 335? Your garage pics seem to be pretty out of date. Curious about a few of your mods and I'm also a big fan of CH-Rs! Sorry for the thread jack.
      08-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #454
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Also, random thought. Does the S/C produce a lot of heat under the hood? If so, I wonder if a cowl delete (which is something I usually frown upon) would be a good idea...
      08-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #455
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Sounds awesome!

My vote for moving the filter is more so he can secure the fender liner correctly. It was my understanding the filter is slightly in the way. Hydrolock is unlikely especially if he does not gun it in a puddle. Either way for piece of mind i vote move the filter to the top where that clamp is.

atmosphericM: I have to make some posts of my progress. My plan is a professional detail in the fall followed by a real photoshoot and then a dyno. Hopefully all the same weekend. Detail being done during that week. FWIW the single turbo is sick. Fastest thing I have ever owned by far.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #456
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Also, random thought. Does the S/C produce a lot of heat under the hood? If so, I wonder if a cowl delete (which is something I usually frown upon) would be a good idea...
I'd do a cowl delete when I get a garage...
Just worried about water getting in there.
When I did my pulls outside earlier, and popped the hood to play sherlock again for a new noise, I did not feel any intense heat.

Noise:
      08-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #457
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds awesome!

My vote for moving the filter is more so he can secure the fender liner correctly. It was my understanding the filter is slightly in the way. Hydrolock is unlikely especially if he does not gun it in a puddle. Either way for piece of mind i vote move the filter to the top where that clamp is.

atmosphericM: I have to make some posts of my progress. My plan is a professional detail in the fall followed by a real photoshoot and then a dyno. Hopefully all the same weekend. Detail being done during that week. FWIW the single turbo is sick. Fastest thing I have ever owned by far.
As good as its gonna get for now... SLIGHT rubbing when wheel is all the way to the right.
Attached Images

08-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #458
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Is that accodian style metal intake tube flush on the inside I hope?

Was that from ESS or BPC?

Will the fender liner fit correctly or correctly enough?

Someone needs new steering wheel trim Damn cars always something to fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #459
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that accodian style metal intake tube flush on the inside I hope?

Was that from ESS or BPC?

Will the fender liner fit correctly or correctly enough?

Someone needs new steering wheel trim Damn cars always something to fix!
It should be lol.. Maybe I'll double check tomorrow morning... I'm sure it is. That tube is alot more flexible than I thought, I mean, its VERY soft an manipulative. It must've had a reinforcement piece for packaging purposes (it is from ESS) the fender liner isn't as bad of a burden. Slight rubbing like I said in my previous post.. Tested going real slow in the culdesac, not nearly as atrocious as the other day. To be frank, the tube had some play to it to begin with, so moving it towards the bumper and just using the zip as a makeshift hanger, should do the trick without a hitch... We shall see!

Now I need to figure out whats rattling... :/
Car doesn't feel different aside from the boost at red line into the next gear.
Bob says to pull the belt to confirm, but he thinks its a DISA flap and AJ says its the normal V3si gear chatter. IDK because I can see the manifold vibrate ever so slightly, and if it was a DISA flap, Im sure I'd feel the sluggishness as I row through the gears... Kinda at a loss for predictions...

Hahahaha! Leave me alone!!!
Priorities
I did buy one of them RTD frame mounted shifters... Just need to get it in there ( ) and fab up a DSSR. The goal for the steering wheel: Get the electronic performance wheel and pick either the alcantara or carbon fiber trim to match my shifter.... I spent alot on the body stuff so now the focus is geared to the performance bits nao. I have a 2 month underway in a couple months... Will have some $$$ to blow after the fact.
      08-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #460
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Those RTD shifters are suppose to be the shit. If I didn't just buy an install the UUC short shift kit + DSSR I would have one.

I hear they work best with solid transmission bushings and upgraded stiff motor mounts. But I know an n54 guy with neither and they like it. I assume it just firms up everything having everything mounted with no rubber bushings i.e.no slop etc.

Can't wait to see where you take the car. Meth + smalley pulley + n54 intake manifold. Break some records.

Speaking of which what is the SC n52 dynojet record?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #461
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those RTD shifters are suppose to be the shit. If I didn't just buy an install the UUC short shift kit + DSSR I would have one.

I hear they work best with solid transmission bushings and upgraded stiff motor mounts. But I know an n54 guy with neither and they like it. I assume it just firms up everything having everything mounted with no rubber bushings i.e.no slop etc.

Can't wait to see where you take the car. Meth + smalley pulley + n54 intake manifold. Break some records.

Speaking of which what is the SC n52 dynojet record?
If it is my DISA, I might just go with the n54 IM -_-
Replaced both already, if I have to replace both again, I'm done, son.

That is the dream.. Looked at aquamists' website and saw their kits, but I am supposed to provide specifics that I myself am unsure of...
      08-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #462
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

That rattling sound doesn't sound right. Is it coming from the SC?
Is there oil in the SC?

Did some of that 'MAF air flow straightener' metal go into the SC on it's way to the intake manifold and engine? That was a lot of metal pieces that all went thru the SC.
Appreciate 1