E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 335D headlight or lens replace options?

06-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
335diesel
Rep
Drives: 335d Alpine White

335D headlight or lens replace options?

I've been searching these forums, and usually I find answers to my questions. This time, however... I'm still confused.

Some sites that sell lenses or complete headlight replacements - when searched for "2011 335d" list certain items as compatible, while others list the same ones as incompatible to my car. (all my searches are for aftermarket version because I don't want to spend $1200+ for a pair of headlights.)

I'm looking to replace the lens covers or the entire headlight, and just plug it in and it works. What brand or product is recommended? I have the tools and know-how to replace the lens, but I'm not certain if replacement lens that's compatible to this headlight is actually available or not. Hoping to replace with something that has similar aesthetic to OEM - nothing special.

FTR, I have a 2011 335d with full emissions delete - which means it used to be white, but now it's white with a slightly blackened rear end, depending on how long it's been since the last wash. It's my favorite car in the universe. Had it since 2013 and I've loved every minute of it!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:11 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Why is it you want to replace the lenses?

Are they:

A - Damaged?
B - 'Road rash' or light scratching?

If it's b you should consider restoring then instead. There are lots of guides regarding wet sanding, clear coating and polishing them. It's a DIY.

Replacing the lenses are difficult. You need to get the correct lens for your lights. They are slightly different between Xenon and Halogen.

Whatever you do don't go aftermarket. They are generally all terrible. You be better off buying a used set and then refurbing them outside of the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: Black 07 e90

I'm in the same boat. Have been researching replacement lenses but am still unsure. I have an '07, and had the car in AZ and SoCal for years so I've already done the headlight restore once. If you've never tried that , do it first, mine looked good for quite some time but now are yellowish and way worse than when I originally did it. I'm not sure if you can do it again, anyone have experience with the headlight restoration path multiple times with good results? Sorry to hijack the thread, but this could help you find an easier answer as well!
      07-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
335diesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

Are they:

A - Damaged?

If it's b you should consider restoring then instead. There are lots of guides regarding wet sanding, clear coating and polishing them. It's a DIY.

Replacing the lenses are difficult. You need to get the correct lens for your lights. They are slightly different between Xenon and Halogen.

Whatever you do don't go aftermarket. They are generally all terrible. You be better off buying a used set and then refurbing them outside of the car.
They are cracked, covered in road rash and yellowed. It's as if they've been eaten alive with UV exposure. I've restored headlights before. These are well past that. I did find the lens though. Is that something I can link here on the forum? Not sure of the rules here.

The lenses are at Bimmer Jakes. A search for 2011 e90 brings you to two results. You may notice images are incorrect - I asked them about it and they agreed - the two images should be switched. Anyway, it's the one titled BMW 3 E90/E91 (2005-2011) - XENON - HEADLIGHT LENS PLASTIC COVERS, currently priced at $230. (My 335d is Xenon with self-leveling. Make sure you know what yours is before you buy anything.)

I'll be the guinea pig on this. Will order the lenses and do an eyeball check for fitment. If it looks possible, I'll get an appropriate adhesive, do the work and post up results. While I'm in there, I'll be replacing my front bumper and all the light bulbs. Should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

Are they:

A - Damaged?

They are cracked, covered in road rash and yellowed. It's as if they've been eaten alive with UV exposure. I've restored headlights before. These are well past that. I did find the lens though. Is that something I can link here on the forum? Not sure of the rules here.

The lenses are at Bimmer Jakes. A search for 2011 e90 brings you to two results. You may notice images are incorrect - I asked them about it and they agreed - the two images should be switched. Anyway, it's the one titled BMW 3 E90/E91 (2005-2011) - XENON - HEADLIGHT LENS PLASTIC COVERS, currently priced at $230. (My 335d is Xenon with self-leveling. Make sure you know what yours is before you buy anything.)

I'll be the guinea pig on this. Will order the lenses and do an eyeball check for fitment. If it looks possible, I'll get an appropriate adhesive, do the work and post up results. While I'm in there, I'll be replacing my front bumper and all the light bulbs. Should be fun.
Bimmer Jakes are ok but a little expensive if you ask me. You can get cheaper ones from eBay. But I know Bimmer Jakes have got good fitment.

Basically...

E90 Halogen PreLCI and Halogen LCI are the same lenses.

————-

E90 HID (Xenon) PreLCI and LCI are the same.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
335diesel
Rep

Oh nice, good to know. Those little details are not something I'm versed in, and they can be confusing to a noob like me.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
bartmax1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

lens cover replacement 335d

did you replace the lens cover?
Appreciate 0