E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sub volume randomly lowers

01-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Intotheblue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Coupe

Sub volume randomly lowers

I have a 12" sub hooked up to a JL audio amp with a wiring harness plugged into the factory amp. Starting a few weeks ago, there will be times where the sub volume just dips randomly, sometimes for a second or 2, sometimes for 15-20 seconds, doesn't seem to have anything to do with bass intensive parts of a song or anything.

Would getting a capacitor be helpful to make sure the amp is getting consistent power? I don't get flickering lights or anything.

Or is my amp slowly failing? It's 2 years old, and I know they're supposed to last longer, but to be honest it's not in the most ventilated spot and will overheat and shut off after 40 mins of loud music to cool itself off. (I don't let it get to this point more than once a month, but I obviously understand I'm damaging it but not really worried since the amp wasn't expensive).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
McPikie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Msport

Checked your connections, earth etc? when you say it dips, does it go right off, or just lower?

I'd try a different amp, and possibly drill some holes for vent
Appreciate 0