E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - retrofit paddle shifters

05-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #67
Dark335Xi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI SEDAN

hi everyone, sorry to bother you guys but i had a little question to ask you

i have a e90 sport pack steering wheel from stock and i want to do the retro with paddle shifter. so i got my self a steering wheel with paddle shifters and the multi funtion button.. so here is my question.. as you can see on the picture there is 6 wires coming out from the connector of the multi fontion module... is that means that i only have to do the part behind the steering wheel to the centre console???

thank you for you answer!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #68
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Yeah I think so.

I would still like to hear if anyone's been able to enable paddles through SOFTWARE ONLY (NCSExpert).......
      05-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #69
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
if your multi function buttons are for paddles, this might be why you have 6 wires
if so, then your paddle wiring can plug directly to the multi-f buttons, you'll see the connection on the inside of the mfb
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #70
Dark335Xi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
if your multi function buttons are for paddles, this might be why you have 6 wires
if so, then your paddle wiring can plug directly to the multi-f buttons, you'll see the connection on the inside of the mfb
yes the multi fontion buttons came originally with the paddles, i got it as a kit from ebay, steering wheel, paddles, MF buttons and the trim...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #71
Dark335Xi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #72
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
its not as confusing as ppl think.....if you have the hardwares, its just paddles sending a signal to the auto-shifter where it changes shifts when your in sports mode

the (+ -) from the paddles is the same as the (+ -) from the auto shifter when in Sports mode, this diy is basically connecting wires from paddles to the shifters...sending the signals to shift

there shouldnt be any software needed cuz the connections is directly from the paddles to the shifter...not to the ecu

Last edited by ska///235i; 05-31-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #73
Dark335Xi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
its not as confusing as ppl think.....if you have the hardwares, its just paddles sending a signal to the auto-shifter where it changes shifts when your in sports mode

the (+ -) from the paddles is the same as the (+ -) from the auto shifter when in Sports mode, this diy is basically connecting wires from paddles to the shifters...sending the signals to shift

there shouldnt be any software needed cuz the connections is directly from the paddles to the shifter...not to the ecu
and what about those 2 yellow wires on the other side of the stering wheel? where is that going? to ecu or to the center console?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #74
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark335Xi View Post
and what about those 2 yellow wires on the other side of the stering wheel? where is that going? to ecu or to the center console?
bro, i want to help u but please read the diy a few times and have a basic understanding before you jump on this or any other diys
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #75
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:

I agree that you don't NEED the software, but it would be a much cleaner install - no wires to run, just edit the car config and boom.
      06-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #76
Futie
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: E90 320i 4cyl 16v 150hp

Problem with the shifter

Hi guys,
I made the diy job on my E90 320i EU from early 2006 and I feel obligated to tell you that I have a problem. I was having trouble with my gearbox since January and changed everything(one by one) without any luck up until I cut the two wires entering the DS plug. So soon I will have a chance to rewire the whole install because I didn't make it myself but a friend of mine. While he was wiring the paddles I was installing Multimedia interface.
So here is the issue:
1. the shifter starts to overheat incredibly hot around the shiftlock. Wires from the Steeering also hot
2. paddles shift perfectly as well as the gearbox.
3. Mechatronic is new
4. Shifter is also new
5. Brake pedal sensor new
6. Software up to the latest
7. Oil new
8. 2 weeks testing without any faults
I will update immediately after I rewire the setup (it is very simple but maybe the ground wire on the Steering wheel or something else is wrong) Really no idea as far as everything works perfectly - there is no shifting without intention for example.
P.S. on error reader the fault says: Shiftlock, Interlock malfunction or not recognized
Attached Images

06-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #77
Futie
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: E90 320i 4cyl 16v 150hp

Up until now, the problem stays the same:
Paddles -> AT fault|
Cables disconnected -> everything is perfect ->NO fault.
As I said still no deep investigation in the problem, I will check it very thoroughly as soon as I get home at the beginning of July. However the only thing that could be checked with bare hands is, by removing the P,R,N,D plastic trim and put a hand at the very front area of the shifter. Either left or right but somehow deeper. !!!!CAUTION!!!! If there is a problem(my case before cutting/ disconnecting the wires) it becomes EXTREMELY HOT!!! BE CAREFUL PLEASE!!!
Attached Images

06-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #78
Lastun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i

Really nice DIY ! Great job!
I have tried to make mine also but with help from a Burgertuning retrofit kit .
I installed all the wiering the new steering wheel but there is a roblem though :
Burgertuning says that the retrofit will work just with the chrome paddles and my steering wheel has LCI paddles .
I dont't want to change my paddles because I like them more than the chrome oanes with + & - on each side .
Can anyone tell me about the wiering of the chrome paddles so I can rewire mine ? Or has anyones have similar problems ? I would really like to make this work with the LCI paddles
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #79
zamba0321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328i convertible

I also have troubles with the LCI paddles, work with Burgertuning as they
should help you out after paying a huge sum for some wires ..

keep us updated

- Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastun View Post
Really nice DIY ! Great job!
I have tried to make mine also but with help from a Burgertuning retrofit kit .
I installed all the wiering the new steering wheel but there is a roblem though :
Burgertuning says that the retrofit will work just with the chrome paddles and my steering wheel has LCI paddles .
I dont't want to change my paddles because I like them more than the chrome oanes with + & - on each side .
Can anyone tell me about the wiering of the chrome paddles so I can rewire mine ? Or has anyones have similar problems ? I would really like to make this work with the LCI paddles
09 328i Blue water E93 | M-Sport | Step | Prem | Nav | ipod | Lux H8 | BMS PBX | Remotekey+ | MFD scoops | LED turn signals and sidemarkers | MTEC Fogs | Black BMW performance grills | LCI Paddle shifters
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #80
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
Israel
Rep
Drives: M4

Listen everyone.
Just finished plug my m3 steering wheel with dct paddle
Thanks to page 1
I just follow the DIY step by step and everything working great
Thanks ska325xi!

Don't buy anything , u don't need this harnes kit
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #81
Lastun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamba0321 View Post
I also have troubles with the LCI paddles, work with Burgertuning as they
should help you out after paying a huge sum for some wires ..

keep us updated

- Wim
I talked to them and they said that it will work just fine with the parts they recomanded , and not with other parts .
I tried to reorder the wires from the LCI paddles but does not work it is not just the order of the paddles is something else too .
Can't make them work . Anyone has any Ideea ?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #82
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
cant tell by words....need to see the lci paddles in person
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #83
Topshelf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi/'08 135i

Hey guys, has anyone hooked theirs up following the instructions here and not had the paddles work? I just picked up an M-sport wheel with paddles from a 135i and swapped it in place of my '07 335xi oem sport wheel but can't get the paddles to work. My car had the extra 2 yellow wires, I removed those and ran 2 lines to the center two wires by the shifter just like it says, but the paddles still won't work. I took a meter and tested continuity from the steering wheel side connectors to the far end of the new wires, so I know there's no issues there. I even ordered up OEM connectors to make a home made jumper so I didn't have to splice anything. It's just 2 wires from behind the wheel to the center two by the shifter, but it doesn't work on my car.

Any ideas???
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #84
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

damn this is so confusing with vendors trying to sell and people saying dont buy....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #85
Zaphood
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M-sport

My 1st post, so hope this is useful to someone.

There are a few guys like myself who have bought a complete steering wheel with the paddles and multifunction switches, and have not been able to get the paddles working following this DIY.

Like those guys I also thought that it would be enough to only run the two wires from the slipring to the center console blue connector (as the paddles were already wired) which I did. They wouldn't work, and for the world I could not figure why not.

Re-checked everything, and only after measuring the resistance between the paddles and the slipring connector (where the yellow wires were in 2 & 4) I found that nothing was happening when flicking the paddles. I unplugged the paddles from the multiswitch harness and found that the paddles were working just fine. So the problem was somewhere in the connection between the paddle connectors and the multiswitch harness.

Long story short, I made the paddle switch wiring as described in the DIY, clipped the wires 3 and 6 which already were present in the multiswitch connector (the one which is plugged into the slipring, the one beside the airbag connector) and soldered the new paddleshift wires to those. The ground was connected under the same screw where the airbag ground was connected (brown wire).

Everything is now working flawlessly.

Hope this helps you guys who are also fighting with this problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #86
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Whoa, whoa. That's major information there -- thanks for posting this. I am a bit confused now, though. You're saying WITHIN the steering wheel the paddles weren't working? When you refer to the multiswitch harness, you mean the one into which you plug in the steering wheel -- the ones in the pic below? I'm trying to see exactly what part of original wiring was still present such that the complete swap of the steering wheel was nonfunctional - I think we all just assumed that so long as the yellow wires were there, we were prewired for paddleshift.

08-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #87
Zaphood
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Whoa, whoa. That's major information there -- thanks for posting this. I am a bit confused now, though. You're saying WITHIN the steering wheel the paddles weren't working? When you refer to the multiswitch harness, you mean the one into which you plug in the steering wheel -- the ones in the pic below? I'm trying to see exactly what part of original wiring was still present such that the complete swap of the steering wheel was nonfunctional - I think we all just assumed that so long as the yellow wires were there, we were prewired for paddleshift.
I see where it can sound a bit confusing, but here is what i did.

I had a complete steering wheels with all the switches and paddles which I installed. I also thought that mine was pre-wired for the paddles, as the yellow wires were present in the slipring connector behind the wheel under the steering column. I cut those two yellow wires and measured if there was any resistance in them when flipping the paddles. There wasn't.

Next I unplugged the paddle shifters wires from the housing where they were connected to (they are a bit tight, but whey will come off). This I did to check that the paddles were OK. After measuring both, nothing wrong with them.

Now I made the paddle shift wires like described in the DIY, cut the wires #3 and #6 about an inch from the multiswitch connector plug (yes the one you plug into the right hand slot @la the picture you posted), and soldered my new wires to those stumps.

In all essence, what I have done is made the paddle shifters stand alone as separate "units" in the steering wheel. Before the "external" wiring they were somehow integrated into the multiswitches and that's why they wouldn't work.

Hope this is a bit clearer now.

Note: Before all of this (because I thought the car was pre-wired) I did take the car to BMW to see if they could program the paddles to work. They couldn't. They even went so far that they ordered a new identity to my car where they had included the paddle shifters as if they had been an original factory installed extra, still they didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #88
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

I'm a little bit confused about where you measured the resistance of the yellow wires. If you cut them on the slipring, then there are no paddles connected to them anyway, right? If you're talking about the wiring going to the steering wheel (i.e. you cut the yellow wires, then measure resistance on the cut wiring towards the wheel, not towards the shifter, not sure if you understand what I mean), and there is no resistance in them when flipping the paddles, then maybe there is something missing in the wiring between the cut-off wires and the paddles? I thought there were no electronics in between (especially if you bought a full, complete steering wheel with paddles installed).

On a separate note - I confirm that coding the car does nothing - my car THINKS I have 2XA (paddle Mtech wheel) but I am unable to use it, so I agree that this is the case. Except I don't understand why there would be wiring missing somewhere