E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan software update to address throttle response

03-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

Dinan software update to address throttle response

I had the Dinan Software Boost Upgrade installed on my 335i coupe yesterday. Following the upgrade, I had an interesting conversation with Dinan which I wanted to share with everyone. I apologize if this has already been discussed.

My first impression of the engine’s performance was that the throttle response was obviously different from before the upgrade, nowhere near as aggressive in the 1500-3000 RPM range. It felt like torque was lower, which would be a contradiction of the reported Dinan statistics. For those of you who are familiar with the Sport button on the E46 M3, the upgraded 335i performed as if someone had turned off the Sport button.

I called Dinan to see if something might have gone wrong with the upgrade. The helpful tech support rep explained it as follows: BMW programmed the 335i’s drive-by-wire throttle response to have a 10-15% boost at low RPM’s (much like what the Sport button does for the M3). When Dinan designed the response for the 335i, they were concerned that if they left the boost, the increased horsepower might result in some dangerous control issues. So, they programmed a linear throttle response which seems kind of dead when compared with the original BMW configuration. This is not to say that the Dinan enhancement doesn’t deliver the horsepower and torque increases as advertised—it just takes a more aggressive pedal-to-the-floor effort to elicit some jaw-dropping acceleration!

The Dinan rep said that they have been overwhelmed with calls regarding this issue, especially from automatic transmission owners (I have a 6-speed manual). As a result, Dinan has reconsidered their approach, and we should expect a software upgrade sometime in May that re-introduces the throttle response boost. The new software will be made available to BMW dealerships, and will be a no-cost upgrade, and a welcome one!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
JacobT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i JB

Garage List
Hi , I'm in Austin too. How much did they charge you for Dinan reflash at BoA?

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I had the Dinan Software Boost Upgrade installed on my 335i coupe yesterday. Following the upgrade, I had an interesting conversation with Dinan which I wanted to share with everyone. I apologize if this has already been discussed.

My first impression of the engine’s performance was that the throttle response was obviously different from before the upgrade, nowhere near as aggressive in the 1500-3000 RPM range. It felt like torque was lower, which would be a contradiction of the reported Dinan statistics. For those of you who are familiar with the Sport button on the E46 M3, the upgraded 335i performed as if someone had turned off the Sport button.

I called Dinan to see if something might have gone wrong with the upgrade. The helpful tech support rep explained it as follows: BMW programmed the 335i’s drive-by-wire throttle response to have a 10-15% boost at low RPM’s (much like what the Sport button does for the M3). When Dinan designed the response for the 335i, they were concerned that if they left the boost, the increased horsepower might result in some dangerous control issues. So, they programmed a linear throttle response which seems kind of dead when compared with the original BMW configuration. This is not to say that the Dinan enhancement doesn’t deliver the horsepower and torque increases as advertised—it just takes a more aggressive pedal-to-the-floor effort to elicit some jaw-dropping acceleration!

The Dinan rep said that they have been overwhelmed with calls regarding this issue, especially from automatic transmission owners (I have a 6-speed manual). As a result, Dinan has reconsidered their approach, and we should expect a software upgrade sometime in May that re-introduces the throttle response boost. The new software will be made available to BMW dealerships, and will be a no-cost upgrade, and a welcome one!
Interesting info
      03-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

The cost was $2K plus ~$100 labor + tax.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

What? An update just after they released it and another planned one soon? How can they call themselves credible tuners if they're really just having customers beta test their tunes instead of getting it right the first time???

Just kidding since this is the mentality towards Vishnu, BMS, AA, Helix, etc. It's nice to see an established tuner still has to learn the car and make tweaks to their tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

+1 thx for the info. I suspect this may be a bigger issue with the 6AT than 6MT.

Good to see though that they listen to customers and offer solutions.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Awesome news. Thank you. That is a damn good first post.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
BMW///Motorsport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
+1
      03-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #9
2008_Dinan335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
haha +2
**SOLD** 2008 335i Coupe / Blk Sapphire Metallic / 6MT / Dinan Stage 2 / CPE Quad Exhaust / KW V2 Coilover / H&R Sway Bars / Forge DV's / Mtech Body Kit / 3D Design Rear CF Diffusor / CF Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler / OEM SSK / OEM Aluminum Sport Pedals / 20" DPE S10's / AFE Intake / RPI Scoops **SOLD**
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Call me crazy but one of the things I like the best about the Dinan flash is that the car feels less Jerky (especially in first gear low speed accelaration).

I believe that the increased travel on the pedal makes is more controllable and maybe easier to launch properly (both during normal and quick takeoffs).

I think this is how the throttle should be. I guess people like having their next snap back at the slightest touch of the pedal.

To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Call me crazy but one of the things I like the best about the Dinan flash is that the car feels less Jerky (especially in first gear low speed accelaration).

I believe that the increased travel on the pedal makes is more controllable and maybe easier to launch properly (both during normal and quick takeoffs).

I think this is how the throttle should be. I guess people like having their next snap back at the slightest touch of the pedal.

To each his own.
+1. What if we like it the way it is and have to get reflashed somewhere down the road?
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post

To each his own.
I agree with you, but we have 6MTs. Those with ATs may prefer this.
      03-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
+1. What if we like it the way it is and have to get reflashed somewhere down the road?
I guess we will find out. Surely, Dinan will offer options.
      03-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 2008 335Ci

Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobT View Post
Hi , I'm in Austin too. How much did they charge you for Dinan reflash at BoA?
I'm in Austin as well and have the flash. I got it when it first came out back in December. It was about $2250 out the door.

John
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

The SSTT got it right the first time.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
You mean BMW got it right as the SSTT is a hack and does not controls one single thing. It is resistor box with passive features that do shit and this is not even debatable…it is common knowledge. To me, you’re just foolish enough to buy into this product that ultimately does damage your engine. It is reactive system how would it not.

One thing for sure is you got it wrong.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Thumbs up I'll take a more aggressive 1500-3000 rpm range throttle.

I have to say, I like the no jerking and no crazy wild power spurts every time I sneeze, but if I already getting on the throttle, I want it faster without waiting for ever for it to wake up, so adding some from around 1500 would be really nice. Someone want to arrange a poll if that helps? I think we'd all mostly want it, as long as its a gradual linear addition and not a light switch, and please don't mess with the below 1500 range, I don't want to ram into my garage wall by accident.
      03-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I agree with you, but we have 6MTs. Those with ATs may prefer this.
1st gear is jerky because it is designed to get you going as quick as possible. This is another reason why I use manual mode and start in 2nd gear. 1st gear is for racing....
      03-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I have to say, I like the no jerking and no crazy wild power spurts every time I sneeze, but if I already getting on the throttle, I want it faster without waiting for ever for it to wake up, so adding some from around 1500 would be really nice. Someone want to arrange a poll if that helps? I think we'd all mostly want it, as long as its a gradual linear addition and not a light switch, and please don't mess with the below 1500 range, I don't want to ram into my garage wall by accident.

Yeah, I am not sure if I want that "snap" response back down low either. But it is hard to turn down anything labeled a "free" uprgrade...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #20
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
Steve335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
To me, you’re just foolish enough to buy into this product that ultimately does damage your engine. It is reactive system how would it not.

Orb
Most of the time your posts are keepers but this is one of the stupidest things I've seen you write. There is no data to support this premise. Is Steve Dinan's nutsack interfering with your reasoning?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #22
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve335i View Post
Most of the time your posts are keepers but this is one of the stupidest things I've seen you write. There is no data to support this premise. Is Steve Dinan's nutsack interfering with your reasoning?
For god sake it is a resistor box and there is a lot of data to support this. Honestly, it is not complex intelligent device and it doesn’t get any simpler than this or are you suggesting that is something else? It is fairly discouraging when Shiv and others keep addressing this issues which are presented well but dismissed or forgotten. Shiv really did tear this part but I guess no one is listening. If anyone thinking it more than this they are in denial or that just don’t want to hear the truth.

I suggest the argument be taken the other way. I think SSTT and other needs to prove what it is. The funny thing is they provide zero technical information even though there really is not much to state or make arguments about. What do we need to decide? It is a reactive system or do need go to next step.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 03-29-2008 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0