E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 08 335xi Ball Joints

01-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
culture
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

08 335xi Ball Joints

Posted this in the suspension forum but not getting any luck with a response.

I have an 08 335xi and I’m replacing both control arms on either side and I was going to go ahead and replace the ball joints that connect to the thrust arm on each side. I see they have two torx screws holding them and I’ve heard they’re a bitch to remove the ball joints but I’m curious to if after I knock them out, will the new ones need pressed in or do I just place the new ones in and put the screws in to tighten it down? This may be a dumb question I’m just not entirely sure and can’t find anywhere where it says if they need pressed in on this specific model. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
...08 335xi and I’m replacing both control arms on either side and I was going to go ahead and replace the ball joints that connect to the thrust arm on each side... I see they have two torx screws holding them and I’ve heard they’re a bitch to remove the ball joints but I’m curious to if after I knock them out, will the new ones need pressed in or do I just place the new ones in and put the screws in to tighten it down?
I haven't done the job on an E9x myself, but any ball joints (other than a truck) that I have separated/ installed were tapered shaft. There may be some BMW peculiarities such as need to replace in pairs, special tools, torque figures, or even availability of ball joints as separate parts as opposed to an arm assembly.

I would suggest thoroughly reviewing the procedures found in (1) Bentley Manual and (2) TIS Online Manual. Links to those manuals are found in the attached E9x References.

Please let us know how it goes,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Handy E9x References.pdf (217.1 KB, 55 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I didn't know you could separate the ball joint from the aluminum arm.

Anyways this is what repair manual says:

Name:  C12apture.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  14.9 KB

Edit: Just realized yours is an Xi

Last edited by Wolf 335; 01-21-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Anyways this is what repair manual says:
Attachment 1976267
Bentley Manual 310-9, page 496 of pdf, linked in E9x References.

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
Posted this in the suspension forum but not getting any luck with a response.

I have an 08 335xi and I’m replacing both control arms on either side and I was going to go ahead and replace the ball joints that connect to the thrust arm on each side. I see they have two torx screws holding them and I’ve heard they’re a bitch to remove the ball joints but I’m curious to if after I knock them out, will the new ones need pressed in or do I just place the new ones in and put the screws in to tighten it down? This may be a dumb question I’m just not entirely sure and can’t find anywhere where it says if they need pressed in on this specific model. Thanks in advance.
Since you mention the two torx screws, you are talking about number 12 from this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0740

This one pictured here:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...SABEgKvyPD_BwE

There are three steps to removing them,
- separate the arm from the ball joint. Hammer the arm where the joint stud goes through why prying it down. It eventually will pop off. You can also use a tool like this one which will probably make it easier:

- Remove the two torx bolts. The torx bolts have locktite on them (You can see blue ready applied locktite on the replacement bolts in the above link) . So you have to heat them first to soften the locktite. Also make sure you use correct size torx. With rust the torx hole will initially look smaller. Some penetrating oil to soften the rust at bolt heads, then try the biggest torx that fits.

- The most difficult part reported is removing the joint from the knuckle. You need to hammer it out from top. There has been couple of threads on this at this site. Don't just search for 335Xi, any XI has the same one. Air hammer is reported to work good. Someone also had posted that he attached the arm back to the ball joint and hit on the arm downward to pull the ball joint out of its place. I think the other end of the arm needs to be loosened for this to work well.

And to your main question, once it comes out, new one is reported to just slip in, after cleaning the remaining rust from its hole in the knuckle. The old one is so difficult to come out because rust seizes it in.
My guess the ball joint having a depressed line in its middle full circle, which gets filled up with the rust developing works like a wedge making it difficult to come out.

I haven't replaced mine so far, but read about other people's stories. If it is not worn out, it may be better left in place. Unless you are experienced with suspension/rusty bolts.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

I skipped the real first step of removing the nut on the ball joint that holds the arm to it. Air wrench would help there but can be done without it. The boll joint stud takes in a torx (or hex don't remember for sure) to prevent it from slipping while undoing that nut.

Also the Bentley manual torque value on that nut was completely off, too high. XI has different bolt and nut and so the torque values are different than RWDs. Look up online TIS sources for the torque for XI.

https://www.newtis.info/
https://workshop-manuals.com/

(I had given the torque value for the ball joint nut on my xi oil pan gasket replacement DIY, you can find there also if you search DIY section)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
I would suggest taking the whole spindle off and using a hydraulic press to get it out of the spindle. You'll likely need it to press the ball joint back in anyways. Mine wouldn't budge from the spindle hitting it with a heavy mallet from above.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

It is not press fit there. It is only rust holding it in place once the two torx bolts are removed

Here is the instructions from TIS, it says to use a slide hammer to pull it out from below:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...upport/GRc742p

Installation mentions nothing about pressing it in.
All the threads I had seen in this forum which was by people who fought to get it out ended with same people reporting new one just slid in easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
culture
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Great. Thanks to everyone for their info/help. This was very informative. The parts should be in within the next couple of days and I will follow up with what tactic worked best for me 👍🏻
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2425.00
ZGator32.50
      01-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
ZGator
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi, E36/7 Z3 2.3

Thanks in advance for keeping us updated - I really want to do this job soon too!
Appreciate 0