Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Screeching metallic sound in the rear?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Screeching metallic sound in the rear?

The last few weeks I noticed a screeching sound coming from the rear. It sounds like metal on metal. Can't tell if its from the left or right tire side. The screeching ONLY happens when i am going 10-25 miles per hour Don't hear it at higher speeds. Also I noticed that in the morning when i leave for work there is no screetching. The car is cool then. Once I drive for a while and the car, brakes, wheels heat up then I can hear the screeching at the low speeds. Its not the brakes. No sound when i step on the brakes. Only when i am rolling or stepping on the gas.

I have the stock OEM 189 style wheels with spacers. 12mm in the back. I've had the spacers for a while and never had a problem with screeching before. A few weeks ago before this started I had a flat on the left rear. I have the run-flats. I went and got it patched up for $20 at the tire shop. Since then I noticed they put balancing weights on my left rear tire. Since the flat tire is when i've been noticing the screeching. Did they mess something up at thos shop?

I took the rear tires off and rechecked the spacers and re-torqued the wheels at 88lbs. sound is still there. What could this be. Drives me nuts. Every time i am in parking lot or slowing down at the red lights it screeches and it just doesn't look good to have a nice car like this making this noise.

Any suggestions??
      05-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
dbtran
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 - Alpine

Brake sensors. Take it to the dealership and bitch! I've done it twice and for some reason they cannot re-create the sound. Bitch some more! Make them change it the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
gonzoe11
Dad of 2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328Xi coupe

i had the same problem on my e46. the calipers were rubbing the wheel weights. only after the brakes would heat up.
      05-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i don't think its the brake sensors. brakes are ok. plus no codes on the BT scan. this definitely occurs after the brakes heat up. i am just gonna remove the wheel weights and see what happens. i don' even know how to remove them or if i should even mess with them.
      05-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i was just looking at the wheel and weights and they don't even come close to touching the calipers. i thinks its calipers rubbing the rotors, but why would it happen now? are the wheels off balance or what?

i found this on the net

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
      05-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
I had a realyl loud screetching sound. From what I could tell, it was a little stone lodged in somewhere. heres what worked for me...(and this may not apply to you...but its free to try)

-When you turn the car on, turn the wheels out all the way to the left, and all the way to the right....then do that one more time and see if it doesnt get rid of the screetch
      05-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

except its the rear that has the squealing, so turning the wheel won't help as it only moves the front wheels.

I think i need to lubricate the pads but that would mean taking the caliper and pads off. is there any other way to lubricate the pads? like spray lubricant with a little hose i can stick up there and spray...you know like the duster cans??

a rock would screech all the time if there was one, not only when the brake pads heat up i think
      05-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
GeekinE90
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

My car had this issue as well. It would screech when I accelerate slowly and go away when I am off the gas (still rolling). Definitely metal to metal screech. Read somewhere that it was the brake sensors as well. I checked clearance of discs to brake shields as well as rocks/stones lodged between the discs and brake shield but it checked out fine. My case the noise totally went away after the new brakes install.
| E90 325i Sparkling Graphite | VOLK Progressiv ME Forged 18's | Pilot Sport 2 F225/40 R255/35 | KW V2 Coilovers | M Tech Body Kit | M Tech CF Splitters | M Tech Boot Spoiler | BMW Performance Intake | BMW Performance Brake System | ACS Style Roof Spoiler | Blacklines | Chrome Tail Pipes | Vkool | M mobility Kit|
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
spec 123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Garage List
2008 335  [0.00]
same problem here.. i can mimic it when i lift my e-brake. and it also happpenes when i get out of the car. Is your car lowered?
      06-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieman78 View Post
The last few weeks I noticed a screeching sound coming from the rear. It sounds like metal on metal. Can't tell if its from the left or right tire side. The screeching ONLY happens when i am going 10-25 miles per hour Don't hear it at higher speeds. Also I noticed that in the morning when i leave for work there is no screetching. The car is cool then. Once I drive for a while and the car, brakes, wheels heat up then I can hear the screeching at the low speeds. Its not the brakes. No sound when i step on the brakes. Only when i am rolling or stepping on the gas.

I have the stock OEM 189 style wheels with spacers. 12mm in the back. I've had the spacers for a while and never had a problem with screeching before. A few weeks ago before this started I had a flat on the left rear. I have the run-flats. I went and got it patched up for $20 at the tire shop. Since then I noticed they put balancing weights on my left rear tire. Since the flat tire is when i've been noticing the screeching. Did they mess something up at thos shop?

I took the rear tires off and rechecked the spacers and re-torqued the wheels at 88lbs. sound is still there. What could this be. Drives me nuts. Every time i am in parking lot or slowing down at the red lights it screeches and it just doesn't look good to have a nice car like this making this noise.

Any suggestions??
Got the same thing a week ago. I'm driving on 19" wheels et30. Taking it to the dealer on Fri. Only happens at slower speeds after the car's warmed up a bit. Will let you know if they figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
lamj
Assistant (to the) Branch Manager
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i monaco/saddle

hey any update on this? im having same prob on e92 335. i hear it at low speeds just like op stated. lst time i took my car in they said it was due to brake sensors touching something but they told me they fixed it for me. still hear it/ esp prominient when i pull ebrake. svc advisor told me that ebrake shouldnt be pulled while veh in motion anyway. what else can u guys think of
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Is it this sound?

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxdE12B8QXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxdE12B8QXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

This is my video when I had my car... It is the brake pads touching the rotor, the dealer is going to have to shave off the pad but it will only help for about 60 miles. These cars have defective pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
lamj
Assistant (to the) Branch Manager
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i monaco/saddle

YEAAAAAH!! it sounds like that! ok ill hav it checked out at the deaelr
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I have that very same noise coming from the front!!! most of the times when i move the steering wheel to the right...randomly...

what could it be??
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by rault18 View Post
I have that very same noise coming from the front!!! most of the times when i move the steering wheel to the right...randomly...

what could it be??
As I mentioned before, this is a common problem with these cars... The OEM brake pads are defective... You have to complain to your dealer three times for them to replace everything. In about 60 miles, the noise will come back. Hopefully you're lucky and it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy@AUTOcouture View Post
As I mentioned before, this is a common problem with these cars... The OEM brake pads are defective... You have to complain to your dealer three times for them to replace everything. In about 60 miles, the noise will come back. Hopefully you're lucky and it doesn't.
Im out of warranty so pretty much what u say is..aftermarket pads will get rid of this?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Bullet
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

Im getting the exact same noise. I thought it had something to do with my clutch but this pin points it. BTW the dealer thinks im crazy after taking my car in for it 2 times and still have found nothing...
      04-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #18
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieman78 View Post
I think i need to lubricate the pads but that would mean taking the caliper and pads off. is there any other way to lubricate the pads? like spray lubricant with a little hose i can stick up there and spray...you know like the duster cans??
i would not lubricate the face of the pad. bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Quote:
same problem here.. i can mimic it when i lift my e-brake. and it also happpenes when i get out of the car. Is your car lowered?
Different squeak. That's the parking brake, at least as far as I can tell. I have the same problem.

Quote:
Im out of warranty so pretty much what u say is..aftermarket pads will get rid of this?
Mr 5 thought/thinks pretty highly of the CoolCarbon Ceramic brake pads he used.

Review here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...carbon+ceramic

Buy from a supporting vendor here: http://www.europeanautosource.com/in...sort=2a&page=5
      12-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
titelies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Conv e93 Montego Blue

Same Bothersome Noise!

I purchased a CPO 2007 335i Convertible with only 5700 miles. The car is amazing and so much fun to drive. I have a pretty decent commute on weekdays but I have run into this issue with the annoying screeching sound. When I brought my car to have its new key programmed for Comfort Access, I told them about the issue, but of course they could not replicate it.

I explained that it happened between 15-25mph, not during braking, weather conditions don't seem to be a factor. But the sound is embarrassing while driving around local towns on such a great looking car.

I will definitely be recommending that they have a look at the brake pads the next time its in for service.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #21
felix519
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Seden

Same sound happen here as well

Guys, have you wonder why that as so many of us having this issue around the world (or only in US..), the dealers still don't seem to have a common idea or solution which can completly solve this issue?

I am having exactly sound like everyone else in here- just happened to me these days. I took my 2007 335i back to dealer today, and they said it's the d..n sensor, as well. Then, I came home now doing some homework and found you guys here. And of course, the sound still there after they replaced my pads and sensor... wordless.

Anyway, I still love my Mr. B. Just a little complain here.

*I hate that screeching sound... As I am sitting in front of my laptop composing this reply now, I feel like I can still hear the sound now even my Mr. B is parking in the garage... isn't that crazy!??
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy@AUTOcouture View Post
Is it this sound?

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxdE12B8QXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxdE12B8QXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

This is my video when I had my car... It is the brake pads touching the rotor, the dealer is going to have to shave off the pad but it will only help for about 60 miles. These cars have defective pads.
+1, happened twice to me, and they shaved it. not 100% fix. mine comes and goes...

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0